Buying a gas bottle in France/Spain

emmitdb

Greetings All,

I/We need a quick answer to this one as we are off on Thursday!!! for five weeks.

A decision has been made to buy a gas bottle (and tail)when we are abroad.

Do we buy a French one and if so can it be swopped in Spain or do we wait until we get to Spain(assuming we get that far this time.)

I cannot say which country we will spend most time in but if pushed I would say France over Spain.

Thanks in advance.

We use Primagaz here in France which we get from our local Intermarche supermarket. Many other places sell this make as well but I have noticed that they are now selling Repsol and there is a deal at the moment that you get the bottle free. Now whether these are the same Repsol fittings as in Spain I don't know. At the moment we have a Primagaz propane bottle and a Primagaz butane bottle hooked up in the box and both work fine. Our motorhome is a French Rapido. There are quite a number of different makes of gas bottles over here but we went for Primagaz because there are Intermarche shops throughout France.

Dear Randonneur,

Thank you for that.

I put this question and you were only one (of two) responses that answered my query. Why is it some people don't answer the question but tell me that I shouldn't do what I want to do but do what they suggest.

One bloke suggested I take two British bottles. That wasn't my question.

Hey Ho!

Thank you again.

• 1 month later...

Greetings You Lot,

Just got back from a rather "so so" five weeks on the continent.

Cold and soggy in France, went to Spain and nearly got blown into the Med. Back to France, had a great week in the Loire followed by an alright week in Normandy while you lot were sweltering.

As to buying that bottle. I made a discovery.

The French Propane 13kgs bottle has a male threaded entry/exit point that EXACTLY fits the female British new type butane tail (minus the clip on extension for British Butane 6kgs bottles)for post 2005 caravans and motorhomes fitted with a built in regulator.

So. If you spend a lot of time in France you can go over the water, buy a French bottle and fit it directly to your van.

I hope this is of use because the french stuff is cheaper than British, by far.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a a matter of interest, we have bought a Repsol propane bottle from our local Intermarche supermarket for 20.50 euros, there was no charge for the bottle and it also came with a free regulator. I was assured by the English speaking attendant in the petrol station that these are the exact same bottles as in Spain so we will check on our next visit there. We are only about 150 miles from the Spanish border.

Just to clarify further emmitdb's statement...

The output connection on the traditional large French steel gas-bottle (propane or butane) is identical to that used on the UK Calor 4.5kg butane canister. It's also the same as that used on Gaslow refillable cylinders.

As a source for this sort of information, the Gaslow products leaflet carries a useful list of the types of 'pigtail' needed to connect directly to a wide variety of gas cylinders. The leaflet also indicates the end-of-pigtail adapters required for certain bottles (eg. France's Elfi, Malice, Twiny and Le Cube containers).

Archived