Buying a second hand caravan

Broximac

Hi I only joined the group today so please be prepared for many questions in the future. Can you give me any advice about best place to buy 2nd hand please. I've looked eBay,Auto trader been to dealers and it's a minefield if you don't know what your looking for.

TIA

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying.

You need to consider it as being similar to the 2nd hand car market. Prices and values are all over the place. If you want a hopefully trouble free purchase then a reputable dealer si the best place to stqart, but of course the prices are at the top end of the range. If you want a cheapie then you are looking at the porivate ads and back street dealers. There any warranty may not be worth the paper, but you take your chance. However, if you are lucky you may find a private seller who is giving up the hobby and may have a well loved example for sale at a reasonable price.

Again, as with cars the first look should tell you a lot. Namely the premises, the cleanliness of the van, any bashed and scratches etc. If none of these add up, walk away. If initlal looks are promising then take a very good look at the van. Check for any window issues as these are expensive to repair. Any dents are also expensive to correct. Look inside, are the fittings clean and ask for them to be operated for you. Check inside all roof lockers in the corners for any signs of sogginess or damp. If you ahve a damp meter then even better but most people do not. Agian a dealer purchse gives more protection in this respect as they will give a declaration of damp free status. Ask for any service history paperwork, having a service record is a good sign.

If you find one you like trawl the web to see simil;ar models for price comparison. IUf you like it then check it is not stolen. If you have a friend who is a caravanner then take him along for a back up checker.

Personally I would be wary of Ebay as although there is supposed to be protection, it can be fraught. Autotrader can be ok as many bons fide dealers use it, but again check the website. Small ads in newsagents may throw up a bargain again if someone is finishing with caravanning.

The bottom line is the usual one. If it looks too good to be true it probably isn't.

• 9 months later...

Archived