Campervan towing caravan,

jetsets

Thinking of going down this route, having a day van but for hols and longer trips towing a caravan with it. Maybe a Devon firefly or similar camper. heard that there may be an issue with towing a caravan with a van rather than a car. Am I right anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

I can’t think why there should be any technical problems using a ‘van’ to tow a caravan - thousands of French ‘travellers’ do this.

You’d be more likely to get feedback on the Motorhome Matters forum rather than on Caravan Chat. If you want, I’ll move your enquiry to that forum.

(Derek Uzzell - Moderator)

Guest pelmetman
jetsets - 2018-11-13 5:15 PM

Has no one tried this ?

Plenty do..........Mazda Bongo's seem a popular choice of tow vehicle ;-) ........

Currently on our site here in Spain there is a John Deer Tractor and caravan :D ........

Your only problem maybe with campsites in the UK ...........As I know some of them have a issue with two outfits on the same pitch *-) ........

We have a Coachbuilt camper, a Carlight caravan, a Toyota car and a box trailer on our fully serviced pitch.......I like to get my 14 quid a nights worth B-) .........

One other thing.......ensure your intended caravan doesn't exceed your tow vehicles Gross Train Weight (^)

I've towed a large box van trailer behind the MH many times, many miles.  You have to plan on slower journeys and I certainly felt the weight on hill starts but it was stable when towing and easy to reverse.  Check that the caravan weight is within the towing limits of your MH or day van and you should be OK.

jetsets - 2018-10-24 11:41 PM

Maybe a Devon firefly

I believe a Devon Firefly is built on a Ford Transit in which case pay very particular attention to towing weight limits as some Transits have VERY low limits. eg my BIL has a Transit Connect which can only tow 800 kg!

Keith.

Archived