Campsites for anglers

Guest Peter Sharpe

Guest Peter Sharpe

I am trying to compile a up-to-date list of recommended campsites with on-site fishing facilities. I would be grateful if you could email me with any recommendations, so that I can follow them up and categorise them.

I am really looking for independent sites where you can pitch your caravan or motorhome within a short distance of the banks of either a river, lake or pond. A site next door to a fishing venue could qualify, as long as the fishing is avilable to all-comers on a daily basis - i.e. not syndicated.

Independent recommendations would be nice, although site owners are more than welcome to send in their details, especially if it is a new site that we might not have heard of.

Send any info to peters@warnergroup.co.uk
If they look really good, I will try to find time to follow them up myself :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Peter Sharpe - 2009-11-11 4:11 PM

I am trying to compile a up-to-date list of recommended campsites with on-site fishing facilities. I would be grateful if you could email me with any recommendations, so that I can follow them up and categorise them.

I am really looking for independent sites where you can pitch your caravan or motorhome within a short distance of the banks of either a river, lake or pond. A site next door to a fishing venue could qualify, as long as the fishing is avilable to all-comers on a daily basis - i.e. not syndicated.

Independent recommendations would be nice, although site owners are more than welcome to send in their details, especially if it is a new site that we might not have heard of.

Send any info to peters@warnergroup.co.uk

If they look really good, I will try to find time to follow them up myself :-)

Hi PeterI have some info for you, but need a good email address ! as the the above does not work. Steve :'(

Steve,

Peter's e-mail address is

peters@warnersgroup.co.uk

Peter,

This link may be of interest to you

http://www.stauntoncourtfishing.com/

I don't know what the fishing charges are, but the camping should be cheap enough. There are definitely fish in the lakes as I saw them being hauled out when I was visiting one of the other businesses there in the summer.

Guest Peter Sharpe
Not quite my thing Trakker, but I have had a few recommended and will certainly include them. I don't have much luch with sea fishing; I fished from the rocks around Pencarnen Farm in Pembrokeshire for a whole week and never had a bite. I also rather foolishly cast a big rubber lure off St David's Head, all the time wondering what on earth I would do if I hooked anything too big to winch up on my carp rod. 

Guest Tracker

Thanks Peter - sea fishing around Pembrokeshire is currently pretty poor as we too suffer the effects of commercial over fishing. That said there are still places to go that will often, but certainly not always, produce.

That said fishing, or as the PC brigade like to call it angling, is as much about the enjoyment of simply 'going fishing' as it is about 'catching fish' for many of us!

It is just so good to be sat on a comfortable bum perch on a rock in the warm sunshine looking out at the sea or coastline and watching the wild life and simply watching the ebb and flow of the tide!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peter Sharpe
Tracker - 2009-12-10 7:21 PM It is just so good to be sat on a comfortable bum perch on a rock in the warm sunshine looking out at the sea or coastline and watching the wild life and simply watching the ebb and flow of the tide!

Comfortable! Those volcanic rocks can play havoc with the more delicate areas of your anatomy - it's like sitting on barnacles. I do agree about the views though. Sitting on top of the cliffs at the Pencarnan Farm at sunset was an absolutely magical experience, especially as the sun was sinking behind the distant islands. It was quite an awesome experience watching the swirling of the tidal currents as they ripped parallel to the beach. It reminded you of their immense power and you certainly wouldn't want to get caught out by them.

I remember when I was about twelve years old, fishing from the rocks at Durdle Door in Dorset. Looking back on it, it was probably quite a dangerous thing to to, especially as I was dragging my seven year old sister along. Kids were free to wander about like that in those days and nobody thought anything of it. I had a fibreglass match rod (a Hardy Matchquest) and fished just as if I was fishing in the local rivers - I think I was even using maggots! It was great fun, as I caught a succession of colourful little wrasse and some tiny pollock, all of which I kept for a while in a keepnet. The water was so clear that I could see them all, nearly fifteen feet down (I was using a sliding float).

I remember peering over the seaward side and it seemed almost bottomless. On the way back to the campsite, my sister nearly stepped on an adder - great fun :-)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Peter, I'm new to the forum and noticed your request for information on sites for anglers. I have never visited the site below but found it on a business for sale website a few days ago. All I can say is I wish I had the £400,000 needed to purchase it and another couple of hundred thousand to develope it into a larger caravan/camping park.

http://www.yet-y-gors.co.uk/80430/info.php?p=1&pno=0

The website below is where the site is advertised for sale:

http://uk.businessesforsale.com/uk/Yet-Y-Gors-Fishery-In-Pembrokeshire-For-Sale.aspx

HTH

Grayo

Not far from us, something for all, huge car boot on Sundays, children's playbarn on site and fishing.

All prices and sizes of fish caught on their web site here

http://www.crystallakesleisure.com/cp.php

Went here on Rally and had a great time, we don't fish in fresh water that's only for sissy's my dad told me (lol) (lol) we fished off the cliff tops at Flamborough Head!!

Mandy

Guest Peter Sharpe
Fenstanton? Isn't that where the 50 pound carp used to come from? I have a feeling that it might have been in a huge gravel pit though, rather than what appears to be a rather more modest water in the picture. 
Thanks for the addition to the list though.

Guest Peter Sharpe
I wish I could find an excuse and the time to have a look at that fishery near Fishguard. I love that part of the country but it's a very long drive from the Fens.

I wish I could find the £400,000 needed to purchase it. Compared to other caravan/campsites I have seen for sale, this seems a bargain. If I had the money I would crawl on my hands and knees to view it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peter Sharpe
I came across a great site while on holiday, at Clifton Hampden, on the banks of the Thames near Abingdon. Only five caravans or motorhomes are allowed at any one time, but tents are limited only by the size of the site.
If you hate strictly formal sites you will love this, as there are no fixed pitches anywhere - simply pitch or park up wherever there is a space. There are hook-ups, which some people were attached to on long extension leads. You could almost fish from your tent, although common courtesy dictates that you don't monopolise a part of the river bank and you would have to let people walk along the river without the fear of tripping over guy ropes - for obvious reasons.
The facilities are fairly basic but adequate for all but the most fussy of campers (at least it keeps the "glampers" away). There is also a real ale, family pub next door to the site, but its car park is on the other side of the road and the blind corner prevents people from hanging around outside. It also serves good quality meals.
There was a large gathering of friends on-site during my visit, who have been returning annually for sixteen years now. There seemed to be plenty of small fish in the margins for youngsters to catch, but I did see what looked very much like carp bubbles coming up in great patches towards the middle of the river - it is a known carp hotspot apparently.
This is the only website I could find, which doesn't make clear the policy on dogs. There are geese and chickens roaming all over the site, so it would be best to check first.

Archived