Error - Towing at 70

Guest sallyp

Guest sallyp

In the September issue of Caravan, a comment attributed to Sgt Andy Donnelly of West Mercia Police was incorrect.

In a news story about a caravan stop-check, a quote referred to 'the loss of towing entitlement at 70 years old.'

In fact, at the age of 70, drivers retain their legal right to tow any caravan, as long as the towing vehicle does not exceed 3500kg in weight (the Caravan Club recommends that your 'tow' should not exceed 85% of the kerbweight of your towing vehicle).

Our apologies for this error.

• 3 weeks later...

I think thye still have it wrong. As far as I am aware at age 70 the total train weight, ie tug and trailer should not exceed 3500 kg. Pretty much the same as for motorhomes.

Where things could get a bit screwy is if you are in France where they have decided that it is not the actual weight that matters when looking at speed imits for example, but the theoretical maximum wieight. I gather that this is causing a lot of confusion and hopefully will be straightened out soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that post 119 is wrong and the initial correction is correct;

my understanding is I have the right to drive a vehicle up to 3500 kgs and also tow with it a trailer of 3500kgs or such lower weight up to what the tow vehicle is plated capable of towing or the trailer is plated as its MPTM.

So on passing 70 your towing right remain unchanged for those with pre 1997[?] licences.

I blooming hope so or am in trouble!

I also believe it makes no difference whether that tow vehicle is a car, or motorhome as long as that total vehicle plated weight is 3500 kgs or less.

Right folks,

Here's the definitive answer from the DirectGov website.

At age 70 you ONLY lose categories C1 and C1+E if you don't pass a medical. See Here.

This means you retain your full B and B+E entitlement (unless you passed your test after 1/1/1997), which is detailed Here.

And a quote from this link which says it all

"Example of category B+E: Motor vehicle with a MAM up to 3,500 kg towing a trailer of any weight over 750 kg."

So it is quite clear, if you have category B+E on your licence you can tow any weight of trailer with a vehicle up to 3,500kg :-D

Keith.

Archived