MOTOR MOVERS

Guest GREENIT

Guest GREENIT
Hi I tow a Bailey Pageant Provence, which is fantastic but find it rather heavy to man-handle expecially on grass. Am considering a motor mover device to assist us, but there are so many on the market any advice on what is the best? regards Ian G

Hi Ian, I have just had a Truma Power Mover fitted to my new Bailey Pageant Monarch. It has made my life so much easier, as I can now move the caravan around the drive by myself. I was advised to go for the Truma as spare parts are I am advised easier to obtain, and the after sales service is better (At least that what my dealer said ??). It is jumpy/jerky when starting and stopping, but otherwise easy to operate and manouver, and can easily be positioned over the tow hitch on the car. The control box is located in one of the underbunk spaces and takes up a lot of room, but as it is at the end where the battery box and consumer units and IDM control box is already located this is not too much of a problem. At the moment I have retained the standard jockey wheel at the front on the advise of my dealer to see how it performs before I fit the pneumatic wheel alternative. At the moment I have only used it on gravel or solid areas and it works okay. Today the jockey wheel went onto front grass and slightly chewed it up so it may be necessary to change the jockey wheel. The other two main competators both claim to be easy start and stop with no jerks or jumps. I do not regret spending the money on the mover. As a bonus the grandchildren think its great being able to manouvre the caravan with remote control.

Guest GREENIT
Ken thanks for the reply. I will certainly take a look at the Truma one, haven't spoken to my local dealer as yet to see what they advise. I have an awkward situation in that I keep my caravan in a neighbours barn which is on hardcore but have to move it out onto grass before attaching to the towbar, so need to also consider the implications for the jockey wheel. Thanks again for your advise. regards Ian

Guest smith21
Hi Ian, I have a Powrtouch mover made by Powrwheel which I have had for 3 years. It is absolutely wonderful, making manouvering so easy. It has a feature called soft start which means it is not in the least bit jerky when starting up, something essential for me as I have to manouvre the'van through a 7foot 6inch gap. Powrwheel will fit their equipment to your 'van at a location of your choosing, so no having to take the'van to a dealer for installation. They also have a 5 year warrenty, again if required they will attend your'van wherever it is, even a muddy field. It should be able to do exactly what you require but speak to Powrwheel and they send an engineer to check your situation and advise you accordingly. I have fitted a pneumatic tyre to my jockey wheel but most of the time it isn't necessary, just occasionally needed on wet and muddy grass. Hope this helps Vaughan

Guest Shiraz
I agree with the previous poster and would endorse all he has said about the Powrtouch which I have fitted to my van. from start to finish the advice,ordering, delivery of components to your door and a visit 2 days later by their fitter who took 2 hours to fit including demo time. I am very pleased with the 5 year no quibble garantee given (I mean 5 years thats alifetime these days) go ahead and get one it will reward you in the end.

I had a Truma or should that be Trauma motor mover fitted on my twin axle On our second outing, the control box packed in. This was replaced by the dealer. Two weeks later while trying to move the van on a CL one of the motors packed up. I cannot recommned Truma but I can recommend Powrtouch as I never had any problems with that motor mover on my previous single axle caravan.

Guest coljac
i dont have a power mover but im thinking of buying one .Ido read a lot and visit a lot of forums most people say that the power touch beats the truma hands down especialy on gaurentee and after sales .Let us know you get on and good luck

I have had two Truma (Carver) movers in my vans and they have both been OK. However, the drive rollers on my latest one failed after three months. Truma admitted a production problem but refused to supply me with a replacement set. So I can't recommend Truma. I have heard excellent reports on Powertouch's back-up. They would have come to me with relacement rollers and fitted them gratis.

Once again we had problems with the Trauma motor mover on the past weekend as it kept tripping off. The heater in the caravan does not seem to work any better and switches on and off as it pleases. I am now trying to get the dealer to replce the truma with a Powrtouch as I do not want it on my caravan. It has become unwanted baggage!

Guest GREENIT
thanks for all the responses on my initial enquiry. I have contacted the 3 main suppliers asking to be sent information: Powrtouch very comprehensive information arrived the next day. Reich took about 3 days but seems suitable. Truma after more than a week nothing has arrived! They obviously aren't keen to generate new business and looking at the comments above are not bothered about keeping it either! Looks like it is going to be the Powrtouch although they are advising the heavy duty model (which is more expensive) due to the fact my caravans MTPLM is 1420kg. Do you think this is necessary or would I get away with the standard fit option?

Guest smith21
Hi Ian, I think I would take Powrtouch's advice and fit the model they recommend. They wouldn't recommend this model to you if it wasn't necessary - they aren't out to con you out of more money than is necessary. If you are still concerned ask them to send someone along to advise you - they are very, very fair. You won't regret buying a Powrtouch - I haven't. Vaughan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GREENIT
thanks for all the responses on my original request. I have ordered a Powrtouch motor mover thanks to the responsed here, despite my dealer recommending Trauma! Fingers crossed it works as well as expected! regards Ian

Guest Award1
Greenit You won't be disappointed. My Powrtouch model 3 was fitted to my Provence on Tuesday this week. What a revelation. The soft start means no jerkiness etc, but you may have to invest in a pneumatic jockey wheel, but remember to replace it with your old jockey when on site or in storage. They are quite prized by the light fingered brigade. Expect to pay around £45 for a new unit. Happy playing with your new big boys toy.

Guest Shiraz
I would be interested how the pneumatic wheel fairs on all terrains? The fitter from powrwheel wasn't confident that the pneumatic wheel was best on all surfaces. Please keep us informed. and I will report back on the large solid wheel fitted to mt van. Regards

Guest Award1
I was told by various people that for moving on grass and gravel, a pneumatic was almost a pre-requisite ( mine's stored on gravel and fitting between 2 twins axle units so control is important). However I am going to carry the solid wheel around as well, so I can change it before somebody who wants it has it on their toes.

Guest Dave1
I am just about to order a Pageant Provence, which I will also be asking the dealer to fit a caravan mover, he has suggested fitting a powertouch. Notice this is being covered here, one dealer quoted around £950, which they would reduce to 850 if fitted when ordering the van, the other dealer quoted around £1200 or £975 if fitted when ordering. Could the latter be quoting me a heavier duty model? To get the van on my drive I will need to reverse the caravan up an incline (not steep) as I do not have the room opposite to reverse the outfit. Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks

Guest Award1
Hi Dave I ordered mine from the NEC in February at £950 for the heavy duty which would be required for a Provence which included the powrbar (to enable you to connect rollers from one side). The standard list price is around £1085, but they are currently having a promotion reduced to £1025, but the powrbar is £50 extra. On my drive there is a moderate slope and an awkward turn particularly with the muppet of a neighbour across the road. Now wouldn't be without it. Make the decision, you won't be disappointed. Andrew

Guest smith21
Hi Dave, I notice you are considering getting your Dealer to supply and fit your Powrtouch mover. Why don't you order direct from the factory as it will then be fitted at your home and also if any warrenty work is required then this can also be done at your home at your convienience, usually within a couple of days of notifying the factory. If your Dealer fits the unit any warrenty will need to be carried out when it is convienient to him - it could be several weeks later. Also if you contact the factory direct they will tell you exactly which Powrtouch you need as they will come along and assess your particular problem and needs. Hope this helps. Vaughan

Guest Dave1
Hi Andrew and Vaughan Thanks for the replies, Powertouch it is. I will contact them tomorrow to get a price for fitting at my home. Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Guest smith21
Hi Dave, When you have your Powrtouch fitted let us know how you get on with it and if you are satisfied with Powrwheel as a company. Vaughan

Guest Dave1
I will let you know Vaughan. I am picking up my new Provence on Saturday, dealer quoted a good price to supply and fit the heavy duty Powertouch as I am buying the van from them. I am jst trying to check out if the battery compartment on the Provence will take the 110 amp hour size battery?

Guest Award1
Dave1 Yes it will, I have a 110amp battery, however make sure you charge it fully before playing with your new toy. Mine got stuck in the road when hitching up. It apparently takes somewhere around 22 hours with the onobard charger. However enjoy the Provence and the mover. Andrew

Guest Dave1
Thanks for the advice Andrew, I will speak to the dealer in the morning, to make sure it is fully charged before collection.

Archived