Nose weight on Xplore 304

Tradman

We've just taken delivery of a new Xplore 304, and are currently trying to get the nose weight down to its max. permissible level of 75 kg (a max. recommended by both Elddis and BMW). With a 6 kg propane bottle in the gas locker, a 30 kg Powrtouch mover and a 15 kg battery in an otherwise empty 'van, the nose weight is just over 90 kg. Having read that heavy items should be stored only over the axle to avoid see-sawing, how do I get the nose weight down to its max. permissible level? Grateful for any suggestions

• 2 weeks later...
With no suggestions forthcoming on how to get the nose weight of the 304 below 90kg, I'm currently exploring the alternative solution of stiffening the rear suspension on the tow car (BMW 320d M Sport). I've looked at both the auxiliary progressive spring assisters from Grayston which fit around the shock absorbers and the rubber load assisters that fit between the spring coils. If any member has experience of fitting either type of suspension assister I'd be grateful for any advice/comments.

Unfortunately this is a very light use forum. I would suggest your best and easiest solution would be to relocate your 15kg battery to a position over or just to the rear of the axle. Thus reducing the nose weight to 75kg. John

Thanks for the suggestion. It's certainly worth considering, but I'd need to research current legislation on battery location, as the only viable alternatives would be either in a cupboard next to the gas oven or in an under seat storage compartment, neither of which would give external access. I would also need to contact Elddis to ascertain whether this would invalidate their warranty. Food for thought.

Also had the same problem with the max noseweight of 70 kg on my car, and getting a gauge reading of just over 90 kg, so to alleviate the problem took out the 2 calor bottles and put in one x calorlight propane

also making sure nothing else was left in the front locker, have got noseweight down to just under 70kg now, but always have to be careful in loading. Regarding your powrtouch mover of 30 kg this would not add 30 kg to your noseweight!! but believe it or not, no more than just over 3 kilos this has been confirmed to me by powrtouch who have been very helpful, Do you load awnings etc in to your car and find that the rear of the car drops down as mine does, then I would suggest that spring assisters would help, but would only raise the back of the car by about 1 inch, i think the answer is to load the van correctly and intend to call into a local weighbridge on our way back from our trip next week and get the van weighed fully loaded with awning and all, and providing I have not gone over the mptlm I will then set about with peace of mind in loading the van correctly and partially over the axle and hopefully this will aleviate the problems. hope this helps to answer your question..

Archived