Problem with 12 volt electrics

Ovingtonbongo

Sorry if this one has been asked before but I couldn't find symptoms like mine. We are going away at the end of the week in our 2008 Elddis Crusader and I went to the storage site to fit a new fully charged 110ah battery. The van is not on EHU so I wanted to check the 12 volt electrics. Everything seemed to work at first but then I noticed that the battery charge display meter (CBE) was flickering i.e. on/off. The flickering was constant and seemed to coincide with a sort of clicking noise form the under locker fuse panel.

I then lost the 12 volt altogether so I checked and ultimately replaced all the blade fuses but with no effect. Checked for loose connections and anything else I could think of. I have read that it could be the battery charger, power supply unit or even a fuse in the positive supply cable to the battery (which I can't find). I wondered if the clicking noise was relays behind the fuse panel. If so are they repairable?

I can't get my dealer out to look at the van until we get back back so my main question is this. Can I get 12 volt electrics i.e lights etc when I go on EHU on site i.e. bypassing the 12 volt from the leisure battery.

Thanks in anticipation.

Keith is right to suggest starting at source. Take the battery out and try it somewhere else if you do not have a meter. Similarly try another battery in the van and if you get the same result, then start looking at relays and fuses etc. It is possible the power distribution box has failed and swopping fuses will not help.

Archived