Small Caravan Buying Advice - Freedom / Silverline / Anyt Others???

zaria123

Hi Folks, I was already a member of the forum here, when I owned by Motorhome (which i sold about a year ago as I was not using it due to work commitments).

I was now thinking of buying a relatively cheap, very small lightweight caravan for more occasional use.

Honestly I dont want to spend very much, but get something dry and decent. I was looking very specifically at some of the older Freedom Jetstream Fibre Glass caravans, as they are very light, and this model is 2 berth but has a little bathroom (unlike the Microlite version which has no bathroom).

I have seen a couple of these for sale on ebay priced between £1500-£2000 for decent looking older models (1992-1996).

The Eriba models are probably too expensive.

Has anyone any experience of these little older Freedom caravans, or any suggestions of other similar weight or size models? I also saw a Silverline Nova which looked very petit, but I thought the Fibreglass Freedom might prove better long term damp proof?

Any advice would be very helpful, and even any link you might have to similar for sale.

I want to tow with our second car - A Fiat Punto 1.2 16v (with maximum braked towing of 1000kg).

Cheers

Alan

As you say Eriba's will be expensive as they are very popular. Have you had a look at poptops perhaps such as Rapido/Trigano etc. Although bigger than Freedoms they are obviously more spacious inside and have better fittings. However they are still usually very light and the low roof means you can park them in a garage if it is big enough.

I would not include folding caravans as again they tend to be expensive.

You could also look at small normal sized caravans. There are quite a few from years gone by all weighing less than 1000kg and again with reasonable interiors, although the carpets and seat coverings may be a bit dated. My local dealer had one in the forecourt advertised as a 'garden shed or store' as it had had a very hard life, but all he wanted was £99. Did not sit for long.

Have a look on Autotrader and scroll MTPLM to your maximum. Still comes up with a large number.

Just one example

http://caravans.autotrader.co.uk/used-caravans/elddis/mistral/1997-elddis-mistral-vogue-se-px-clearance-bargain-deal-oldham-cfpa-8aa782b5422c5ac101423cd1ffe60ced/mtplm/min/1099

do watch out for sagging roof linings on the older Freedoms, only a cosmetic problem, but could be a big job re-sticking it. Another thing is that some look like Freedoms, but are Enka bambinas or something. They look the same, but the door is on the wrong side for UK, don't know if they need any modifications to be up to British Standards? I knew of someone who sold one of these to a dealer, then she saw it had been rebadged when offered for sale. I suppose its the old saying of buyer beware.

Talking of a 1200cc towcar, that is the same engine size as ours. To be honest, although the handbook says we can tow a Max 850kg, I think we.d struggle, esp on hills. We manage just fine with the Romini at only 375kg unladen 650kg Max.

Hi Thanks so much for the information so far.

I'll have a play with Autotrader, but realistically I think safely my max is going to be top limit of 900kg.

The little Fiat is a pretty powerful car, and we do intend mostly for occasional and light use so a leisurely pace isn't too much of an issue.

I have seen on Ebay a Silverline Pegasus 12/2 which states its a slimline, ultra light weight 'van unladen of just 500kg which would be brilliant. Its the only silverline on ebay so easy to locate for reference.

Also interesting about the Enka Bambina, I googled them and they look exactly like the Freedomm although I believe the Freedom actually are made in Poland, by Predom who also made the Enka Bambina. However I believe the finish and safety features of the UK Freedom is specified by Freedom UK, and they upgrade the spec when the basic van hits the UK, and ensure the 'vans meet UK standards.

The door issue is very unusual, 'apparently' the polish manufacturer designed the body to fit either way round on the chassis to give the option of door left or right, without body alterations, which means in some markets it looks like the caravan is on the chassis backwards!

The things you learn.

Im aware of the saggy interior trim on the Freedoms, and as you say a cosmetic job, so if the right van came along at the right price I;d be happy to do that..

I'll also investigate pop tops, any more info send it my way folks!

Thanks so much

Alan

You may like to investigate the ABI Iona too, they were a narrow, lightweight caravan and do come up for sale from time to time. There were 2 on ebay a couple of months ago, one of them looked immaculate.

http://caravans.autotrader.co.uk/used-caravans/abbey/iona/1999-abbey-iona-abbey-iona-cheadle-cfpa-8aa782b542748101014276494f3119ba/makemodel/make/abbey/model/iona

Here is one

Cheers from that, its great to be able to create a list of suitable makes and models when searching. It seems a lot of the older 'van are advertised without any of the weights info on the ads so its kind of difficult to know what you are looking at

:)

zaria123 - 2013-11-27 12:41 PM

Hi Folks, I was already a member of the forum here, when I owned by Motorhome (which i sold about a year ago as I was not using it due to work commitments).

I was now thinking of buying a relatively cheap, very small lightweight caravan for more occasional use.

Honestly I dont want to spend very much, but get something dry and decent. I was looking very specifically at some of the older Freedom Jetstream Fibre Glass caravans, as they are very light, and this model is 2 berth but has a little bathroom (unlike the Microlite version which has no bathroom).

I have seen a couple of these for sale on ebay priced between £1500-£2000 for decent looking older models (1992-1996).

like you I sold my motorhome then missed the freedom so bought an Avondale Wren 750kgs neat shower /toilet with folding sink its easy to move about on site and easy to tow very stable cost just £1100.00 for 1992 admittedly I tow with a 2.5 V6 Cougar so my only problem is keeping the speed down. Strangely there seems to be as much room inside as was in my 7.2 meter motorhome. John

The Eriba models are probably too expensive.

Has anyone any experience of these little older Freedom caravans, or any suggestions of other similar weight or size models? I also saw a Silverline Nova which looked very petit, but I thought the Fibreglass Freedom might prove better long term damp proof?

Any advice would be very helpful, and even any link you might have to similar for sale.

I want to tow with our second car - A Fiat Punto 1.2 16v (with maximum braked towing of 1000kg).

Cheers

Alan

OOPs somethings gone wrong with my answer. John

2nd try. Like you I sold my motorhome then found I missed the freedom so bought an Avondale Wren 750 kgs has neat shower/toilet with a folding basin and as much room inside as my 7.2 meter motorhome had. Tows well and is stable being light its easy to move about on site. John. :->

Thanks for that, another one on the list!

Just a quick question, aside from the Freedom caravans, what is the head height in some of these standard caravans. My other half is 6ft 3, so I think now I realise a Freedom is maximum inside of 6ft 1.

Or, is there an online site you can direct me to which has older model caravan specs (a bit like Parkers guide to used cars?).

Cheers

Alan

Archived