Suspected scam

Louise Cox

URGENT ALERT

It has come to our attention that a series of classified adverts may be part of a premium phone line ‘scam’.

The advertisements, all with 0844 contact numbers, divert the caller to Portugal and, we assume, charge an inflated amount for the call.

All the adverts offer nearly-new caravans at ‘too-good-to-be-true’ prices.

Please refrain from calling these 0844 numbers. Caravan magazine advises readers to only respond to adverts where a standard UK landline or mobile number appears.

Louise Cox

Caravan Marketing Manager

Louise Cox - 2011-10-14 12:50 PM

URGENT ALERT

It has come to our attention that a series of classified adverts may be part of a premium phone line ‘scam’.

The advertisements, all with 0844 contact numbers, divert the caller to Portugal and, we assume, charge an inflated amount for the call.

Surely if you call an 0844 number it already is (in my vewi anyway) a 'premium rate 'line, especially if you are calling from a mobile or non BT landline! Just as 0845, 0870 0871 etc are....despite the companies/offices who have these numbers claling they are priced as ordinary geographical numbers, mostly the are NOT.

If directed to use such numbers, there is a very good website which mostly will give an alternative UK landline number, often a freephone 0800 numbers (though these are not in fact FREE from most miles either) -

.... www.saynoto0870.co.uk

Surely though if you call 0844 numbers, and are diverted, the call charge is based on the number you call? I am not aware that these are -redirect numbers, though I do know that some mobile numbers including 070....do work on this basis. Unfortunately there does seem to be so many new series of numbers being introduced and it is virtually impossible to work out if they are 'genuine' mobile/landline numbers or premium//super-premium numbers.

Archived