Thinking of crossing over, Mondeo as a tow car

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave

Finally getting fed up with the ever escalating costs of keeping my Fiat Ducato M/home on the road, I'm now thinking the unthinkable LOL.

Has anyone any views on a 2008 Mondeo TDci 140 as a tow car, many thanks in advance.

In 2010 we thought the same due to serious Fiat breakdown in France sold the motorhome went out changed the car for a diesel VW Golf bought a new caravan what a waste of time no where near as convienient as a mororhome to use not being fully self contained, so sold the caravan and bought another new ( Peugeot ) powered motorhome . Worst thing I did was buying a caravan best thing I did was buying another motorhome , but what is good for some is not what others want to do.  I wish I had hired / borrowed a caravan 1st before I made the purchase and saved a bundle ,but you never stop learning in life so just chalked it up on the experience of life list .

Guest 1footinthegrave
Thanks,but I'm rather hoping for some user views of the car I am proposing to buy as a tow car,rather than a debate over both leisure options. I have made similar obversations myself before. So anyone any thoughts on the Mondeo TDCi,thanks

Mondeo Mk 4s (2007 onwards) have received good reports in Caravan Club reviews and a 2008 140PS diesel should be a sensible choice for towing a reasonably-sized caravan.

There are plenty of on-line comments regarding Mondeo DMF failures, but a lot of Mondeos have been sold and DMF failures are certainly not confined to that model (or to Ford as a make). It's something to beware of though as a) it's expensive to repair, b) it's normally considered due to 'wear and tear' (or driver mistreatment), so won't be warranty-covered and c) using the car for caravanning won't help.

There's also the DPF to think about (and on-line comments about that).

The Ford Mondeo Wikipedia entry is useful and you can research DMF/DPF issues via GOOGLE.

I'd also suggest the TalkFord forum for specific feedback about the Mondeo version you are interested in. For example:

http://www.talkford.com/topic/163619-vibration-resonance-20-tdci-140/

(You MIGHT get lucky and obtain user comments on this forum, but I'd put your inquiry in the "more in hope than expectation" bracket, as this forum has a low activity rate. You'd undoubtedly get more response from caravan-dedicated forums like

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/index.php

http://www.caravanfacts.com/forums.html

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum

Guest 1footinthegrave
Thanks for that Derek, maybe better to get a horse and gypsy caravan, might limit the problems to either a wheel falling of, or needing to shoot the horse. ;-)

No personal experience of the Mondeo as a tow car but from reading other Forums it seems to be very popular. There are some doubts about the 'automatic' versions as these use an electric clutch but manuals seem to be fine. There is more than enough power and torque for the majority of mainstream caravans.

Try the following site to get an indication of how the car you are looking at will perform with various vans.

http://www.whattowcar.com/

I am sorry kelly58 had such a disappointing experience but as someone who has had both and is now back to a caravan I can only say that although I admire motorhomes, I doubt i would buy one again. As for being selfcontained I am curious because the caravan is more selfcontained than a motorhome. There is the usual jargon about being able to drive away quickly, but that only applies if the caravan has an awning fitted. If not the difference is minimal. Motormovers also make getting it pitched up easier than trying to drive up on to ramps. Speeds while towing are more or less the same and fuel costs are similar on average. We find the advantage of having a car to drive anywhere, and park easily outweighs the disadvantages.

It all depends on your camping style. If you are a 1 night here and hit the road type then a motorhome is probably best, but if you like to stay a while in 1 place then the caravan can allow better opportunities

I'm also considering dumping the m/h, the other half isn't to keen tho' After over 40yrs driving bikes to trucks, dashing all over Europe and stopping for a couple of days here & there I now want to knock the pace down a bit. There are a lot of places that we have been & seen but never explored them in depth, having a car will make it that much easier.

There isn't much choice nowadays but I will be looking for a rear wheel drive car, If I'm not mistaken the Mondeo fwd is built on the Jaguar S type platform (or is that the other way round) so it should be ok strength wise, I would go for a diesel with whatever has the most torque. As the saying goes 'There's no substitute for Torque'

Dave

It is more the other way round. The Jaguar X type used the Mondeo floorpan but albeit with quite a lot of mods.

Again, as mentioned we had a motorhome for 10 years and loved it but as it was a big overcab coachbuilt trying to run around on trips was almost impossible so we were always having to look for sites with public transport links. I used to watch enviously my caravan neighbours disappearing off for the day and justified to myslef that they could not carry the amount of wine I could. Had to try somehow.

I know that many motorhome owners have the smaller panel van type conversions and these can be used as daily runabouts, but the space restriction is a limiting factor. I alos have a wife who hates the half dinette type layout that is popular and prefers to lounge on the sofas. Yes, I know some motorhomes do have them but then you often have to use them to make the bed, I do not.

Whatever you decide remember everything is a compromise.

nowtelse2do - 2011-12-14 11:17 PM

I'm also considering dumping the m/h, the other half isn't to keen tho' After over 40yrs driving bikes to trucks, dashing all over Europe and stopping for a couple of days here & there I now want to knock the pace down a bit. There are a lot of places that we have been & seen but never explored them in depth, having a car will make it that much easier.

There isn't much choice nowadays but I will be looking for a rear wheel drive car, If I'm not mistaken the Mondeo fwd is built on the Jaguar S type platform (or is that the other way round) so it should be ok strength wise, I would go for a diesel with whatever has the most torque. As the saying goes 'There's no substitute for Torque'

Dave

You could also consider 4WD - Audi, Ford, Jaguar, Skoda, etc. have produced 4WD versions of ordinary FWD saloons/estates.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I'd almost made the decision to go for the Mondeo, then started to read about DMF failures, now back to the drawing board. Mind you the Skoda Superb has some rave reviews, but could I live with a car that is called a Skoda :-S

Derek I'm a fan of both the Audi and Jaguar, from all the reviews I've seen the Skoda is a decent bit of kit and owned by VW, it's now lost that crap car tag, but even when it had that tag it use to win it's class in the rallies, so the tag could have been unjust.

BMW have RWD model's but I could never see me owning one, not the type (spivs) (lol)

If I cross the great divide it would probably be a Jag.

Dave

Guest 1footinthegrave
I remember a pal of mine who had a rear engined Skoda in I think the 70's, he nearly lost his wife going round a sharp bend when her door just flew open. I agree about the rally successes, mind you it was up against Reliant Robins as I recall.. :D :D :D

1footinthegrave - 2011-12-15 7:43 PM

I remember a pal of mine who had a rear engined Skoda in I think the 70's, he nearly lost his wife going round a sharp bend when her door just flew open. I agree about the rally successes, mind you it was up against Reliant Robins as I recall.. :D :D :D

I was thinking it was the only model in the class, didn't know it had competition. :D :D

Dave

I drove a Skoda Octavia for several years through the Company and have to ad mit that it was one tough car. It also did nearly 50mpg on diesel and the top speed was definitely illegal. I accept the interior was more functional than luxury but hard wearing. I tried to persuade my son to buy one as he wanted a solid car that would take all the junk of a family but he balked at the Skoda name, which was a bit silly.

I personally drive a Volvo V70 which has the advantage of a automatic in the normal form plus the geartronic if you wish it. Pulls like a train with the van on the back and very comfortable.

Guest Tracker

The last time I towed was many years ago and with first a 1.8 and then a 2.0, both petrol, Sierra.

Towing turned two very pleasant cars into hard work as both were too highly geared and lacking in low down grunt (torque!) to cope adequately on anything other than a level and straight road with no need to change gear.

I would not expect the Mondeo gearing to be any different so I would expect that you would at least need a 2.0 diesel in order to enjoy the experience.

If your budget were to run to an SUV with selective 4wd that uses 2wd most of the time and only 4wd when it senses wheelslip - such as a Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV (other SUVs are available!) - I suspect that the experience would be much more enjoyable?

I mention the 2wd aspect because we have a Toyota RAV 2.2 TD and it pulls remarkably well with strong torque and even driven quite quickly by me we are getting around 43mpg locally and a bit more on a solo run.

I've not towed a caravan with it so don't know for sure but I suspect that it would be well up to the job as well as giving the joy of comfortable seats and the legendary Toyota reliable and hassle free motoring?

Just a thought???

Dave225 - 2011-12-15

I personally drive a Volvo V70 which has the advantage of a automatic in the normal form plus the geartronic if you wish it. Pulls like a train with the van on the back and very comfortable.

Ho...!!!!! come on Dave, that's an old mans car and besides it's safe, powerful, nice looking got all the gizmo's in fact an ideal car for towing...............what the hell am I saying here??? Is it all right for someone as young as me (66) to have one or do I need to be older? 8-) :D :D

Dave

Guest 1footinthegrave
I used to be a tugger years ago when the kids were small, but very well remember the distinct feeling of this huge weight behind me doing it's level best to pull me back, almost like having an Jet arrester parachute on the back of the car, so it needs to be a diesel for sure with some muscle, and the 2008 Mondeo TDci I was looking at is 140BHP 28k miles from new and £11000 so seemed to tick all the boxes till I read about the DMF failures which has kind of put me off, and I'm a natural worrier which does not help, as you may see I'm up at 5 am fretting about it !. The decision now is very much budget driven and will have to be second hand, so I may be looking for the impossible, a Rolls Royce for Ford Fiesta money, but both suggestions of the Toyota, and the Volvo give food for thought,so thanks for that. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2011-12-15 6:28 PM

I'd almost made the decision to go for the Mondeo, then started to read about DMF failures, now back to the drawing board. Mind you the Skoda Superb has some rave reviews, but could I live with a car that is called a Skoda :-S

To the best of my knowledge, a DMF will be present on ANY car with a diesel motor and manual gearbox.

I own a 2009 Skoda Roomster, petrol-engined and purchased to replace a 1995 VW Golf estate during the Governmen scrappage scheme. It's a strange-looking thing, but very practical. I can't say I enjoy driving it much, but I knew that would be the case when I purchased it. It was cheap to buy, there's a local-ish dealership and servicing is inexpensive. Good enough for me nowadays...

Derek Uzzell - 2011-12-16 8:47 AM

To the best of my knowledge, a DMF will be present on ANY car with a diesel motor and manual gearbox.

I think that is true unless you are dealing with a pretty unrefined vehicle as it is needed with diesels to get the level of refinement we ask for.

A trouble with a towing application is that the inevitable slip on taking up drive is extended as we have getting on for twice the mass to get moving compared to the solo case.

This slip results in heat and that heat goes into the components of the clutch/flywheel making them hotter. Now towing there is much more slip, much more heat and inevitably greater temperatures are seen in the critical components which can lead to some loss of their properties and accelerated failure.

The answer is to be exceptionally careful with your clutch work and in particular in two cases.

Firstly getting things moving; get the clutch fully engaged quickly without silly revs and hang on to first gear to get the unit moving so the intergear changes are but blips.

Secondly and most important avoid any reversing up inclines you possibly can as unfortunately our "auto reverse" feature of the van's brakes can cause them to hang on in cases where the van wants to roll into the car. In this case forget your ego to impress with impressive manoeuvring skills and simply use the vans mover. You will actually impress the knowledgeable fellow caravanner more than with the stench of burnt phenolic resin ;-)

With your "mind in gear" rather than a complete lack of respect to the clutch you can live with a DMF towing as thousands do. Forget it and you might well be in trouble but its simple enough to live with.

nowtelse2do - 2011-12-15 10:34 PM

Dave225 - 2011-12-15

Ho...!!!!! come on Dave, that's an old mans car and besides it's safe, powerful, nice looking got all the gizmo's in fact an ideal car for towing...............what the hell am I saying here??? Is it all right for someone as young as me (66) to have one or do I need to be older? 8-) :D :D

Dave

If you have been in a Volvo dealership recently then you will have seen the adverts with hunky men and scantily clad women posing beside their cars. So, if that is what you get then sign me in. Who cares about age??

Actuallly many tuggers prefer automatic boxes as they make life so much easier. The old issues of overheating are rare these days and again speaking for the Volvo, it is designed as a tow car in many respects. There are a few concerns about the ones with dual clutch and computer control, which is one reason I went for the Volvo as it is still torque drive, but many have used them without issue. My wife also has an 'automatic only' licence and she likes a 'pedal car' as it allows her to concentrate on the road. As for the comments about heavy load on the back, think about it. The total weight is about the same as a motorhome, yes, you mar argue that the brakes are better on the motorhome, but in real life it is not that different.

Guest Tracker
Derek Uzzell - 2011-12-16 8:47 AM

It's a strange-looking thing, but very practical. I can't say I enjoy driving it much, but I knew that would be the case when I purchased it. It was cheap to buy, there's a local-ish dealership and servicing is inexpensive. Good enough for me nowadays...

That's an interesting point and it depends to a large extent what you want from a car and whether you enjoy driving for driving's sake or just do it because you need to and that different perspectives will need to be considered before buying any car just because it will make a good towcar?

Archived