Which Caravan Movers

MarkyUK

hi,

I have a Bailey Pegasus Milan S2 (towed by Focus Estate 2.0.L) and have decided at last to take the plunge and invest in a caravan mover, basically after seeing how easy they make things, nevermind the fact that my back just cant handle it anymore!

Ive looked around the web and alot of people seem to like Powrtouch and Reich. Opinions and any advice would be massively welcomed.

Budget is around £700.

thanks

Mark

As time has gone by most movers available on the market do the job, so the decision of which one to go for, is basically up to you. It is best to use a make that offers fitting unless ou fancy lying under the van trying to bolt the motors into place. Also they should do a neat job of the wiring.

However, the big 'if' is the weight factor. Most movers will knock 30-40 kg of the payload so you need to make sure you can cope with this. You will also have to fit a heavy duty battery which also adds a bit of weight if one is not alrady included.

Some movers come with an electric engagement mechanism, others are manual, the choice is yours.

Good luck with what you decide. By the way I fitted a Powrtouch mover 10 years ago, and it is still going strong, albeit it groans a lot.

Many thank Dave for your input - it is much appreciated.

I would almost certainly pay to have it fitted - i dont fancy doing the work myself, prefer to have someone else doing the hardwork for me nowadays.

Ive noticed that they all tend to offer a 5 year warranty which is reassuring, what the warranty actual covers remains to be seen though..Electronic engagement sounds good but is it a case of the more complex it is the more there is to go wrong i wonder?! I like the sound of a Powrtouch still going strong after 10 years.

I've had a chat with a few vendors and am leaning towards one fairly local to me called Midland Motor movers. Has anyone had any experience with them? They seem to currently be offering some good deals on fitted caravan movers.

• 2 months later...

Probably too late for you now, but having had a Powertouch, I think it's the worst mover ever. Had one fitted to our twin axle Ace Jubilee at £1200 and it was dire. Moved the van at half the speed of a one legged snail, it was dreadful. Had Powertouch out twice under their five year guartantee to look at it and they said nothing could be done to improve the speed apart from fitting a second motor unit at another £1200 and the mech said he thought that'd fix it. So another £1200 and it might work? I don't think so.

Had a look at the carver one on a twin axle demo unit at the Caravan show and it was brilliant. Good speed, more responsive and they guaranteed it'd work perfectly . In the end I sold the van for a motorhome so can't say if it would have lived up to their claims, but they were prepared to put in writing that their twin axle unit on my van would be the same speed as their demo unit.

But Powertouch are outatouch afaiks

Please do not let one bad experience alarm you. I have had a Powrtouch mover fitted for the last 10 years and it has worked absolutely fine. As it was one of the originals it is obviously not as 'bells and whistles' as new ones and yes, does groan a bit. But has never failed and is now bolted under a 2 nd van, which was a shade heavier than the 1st one. I do admit we sometimes have to give it a bit of a push when trying to go up kerbs, and taking 1 wheel at a time is best, but all in all, no problems at all.

Archived