Why did they start using turbo engines in the early 90's and yet 96 they were still using non turbo

julesgemini

I now have a 1991 1.9td Autoquest before that I had a 1996 swift 2.5d. The Autoquest is great on the hills and keeps up with the lorries etc. I'm curious why they started using turbo diesels in the early 90's but then in 96 they were still rolling out non turbo engines. I'm guessing there must be a reason?

Not quite sure why you put this in the Caravan section but.....

You may not be as old as some of us but in the early days engines were supercharged to get more power. This developed in to the turbocharger which as you say was around in the 90's. Ib fact Saab started it all with their Turbo model in the 80's. However as with all new technology at the beginning it was a bit hit and miss and there were a lot of tales of engines blowing up and if the turbo failed it was expensive to repair, so manufacturers supplied the cheaper simpler alternative. It is only recently with the development of computer technology that controlling engine characteristics and turbos has become virtually run of the mill, so are in most vehicles today. Tryning to adjust carburettors and ignition systems to match a turbo is not for the faintheartted, but to a computer with electronic ignition and injection, easy peasy.

Guest pelmetman

Turbo's have been around as a optional extra since the 80's............and almost came as standard in the 90's.......

Except for Proud Luddites like me :D.................who has not one.... but two turbo less Transits ;-)

Still managed to get a speeding ticket though *-)

Beware though :-S...........they can eat your engine 8-)

Archived