abroad

trebor6

Guest pelmetman
trebor6 - 2019-11-07 4:00 PM

Hi, I've heard that it's quite cheap to site your caravan abroad.???

does anyone have any info on this please.

regards

rob

Seeing as there were 195 countries at the last count ;-) ............

Perhaps you could define abroad? :D .......

trebor6 - 2019-11-07 4:00 PM

Hi, I've heard that it's quite cheap to site your caravan abroad.???

does anyone have any info on this please.

regards

rob

If you're not used to abroad you will presumably be likely to dip your toe in he water near to home to start with so .....

There are many more campsites in western continental Europe than in UK and the average prices are much, much lower - often less than half the price of UK equivalents. They vary from generally low lost municipal site which are sometimes quite basic but usually perfectly usable, to much posher sites with pools, restaurants etc. Lots of sites offer seasonal pitches and/or long term rates.

Most people head South for nice weather, so the Loire Valley is only one day's drive from Calais and offers plenty to give you a nice holiday.

High season is July and August and outside these two months there is usually no need to book in advance - just turn up and there will be plenty of room. There is a Europe-wide out-of-season discount "club" called ACSI, which gets you a few euros off the regular charges on many (but not all) camp sites and is very popular among those who use campsites rather than Aires. (Aires are very useful but it is illegal to try to use them in a caravan.)

trebor6 - 2019-11-09 4:34 PM

Hi What is AIRES please.

regards

rob

A very confusing French term, that refers to an area of ground set aside for a particular use. "Aire" when use without further definition, can refer to an aire de services (motorway service area), and aire de repos (motorway rest area i.e. without services), or an aire (de) camping cars (a designated area for use by motorhomes that may, or may not, depending on its actual designation, permit overnight stops, the dumping of grey or black waste water, or the refilling of tanks with fresh water and/or battery charging). The aires camping car do not generally permit use by caravanners, 'though this restriction is sometimes abused, risking penalty. Other countries, notably Germany (stellplatze) and Italy (aree di sosta), but also Spain, have similar designated stopping/servicing areas. Many stellplatze seem to allow use by caravanners. I don't know the rules for the aree di sosta, but restrictions tend to be somewhat "elastic" in Italy, and the further south you travel, the more elastic they become! :-)

Brian Kirby - 2019-11-09 6:09 PM

trebor6 - 2019-11-09 4:34 PM

Hi What is AIRES please.

regards

rob

I don't know the rules for the aree di sosta, but restrictions tend to be somewhat "elastic" in Italy, and the further south you travel, the more elastic they become! :-)

Regarding the parking of caravans on public land, in Italy the rule is basically one:

Parking of caravans detached from the towing car is prohibited.

Furthermore (as is the case for motorhomes and campervans) there must be no fluid emissions, there must be no occupancy of space greater than the caravan (no awning, no steps, no external tanks).

And only tires can touch the ground (no leveling feet).

Not sure but I think that a caravan cannot park for more than consecutive 24h.

In private areas/stopover everything depends on the owner, keep in mind that caravas out of campsites are often identified with gypsies here.

Max

Archived