calor gas alternatives/solutions for germany

blasct

hello all, newbie here,

i tried to search for the answer but to no avail, so apologies for posting something that will doubtlessly have been covered before.

so i bought an old 1990 swift challenger caravan and took it to germany where it's going to remain on a friend's farm. it uses calor gas for the oven/cooker and heater, with a regulator that clicks onto the top of the gas bottle. however, i have since learned that calor gas bottles cannot be exchanged in germany and so am looking for a solution for when the gas inevitably runs out. there is a spare propane bottle (empty) in germany that i have been told I am welcome to refill and use, but this has a completely different, screw-in fitment, and then i am not sure that propane will work on that old system in the same way as the blue butane does - something about pressure? - anyway - is there an adaptor i can use to connect the old calor gas head to the screw-in propane bottle valve? do i need a different hose, perhaps? or do i need to find a butane alternative?

thanks in advance for any input.

I assume the butane regulator you have at the moment looks something like the one in the attached photo, and that your regulator will be connected to your caravan’s metal gas pipework by a length of flexible gas-hose secured by jubilee-clips.

On the following advert is an example of a smallish-capacity German gas-bottle and there’s a photo showing the bottle’s outlet-fitting with a regulator attached to it.

https://www.adverts.ie/campers-motorhomes/german-gas-bottle-cylinder/8720876

A UK ‘on-bottle’ BUTANE regulator will have a regulated pressure of 28mbar (a UK ‘on-bottle’ PROPANE regulator will have a regulated pressure of 37mbar) and your caravan’s gas appliances will have been designed to work correctly from a regulated pressure of 28mbar(butane) or 37mbar(propane). However, it’s likely that the German regulator shown in the photo has a regulated pressure of 30mbar (which ought to be OK even if not optimum). There are 50mbar German regulators, so beware...!!!

It’s probable that the gas-hose that connects a German on-bottle regulator to a caravan’s gas pipework will have threaded ends rather than the UK’s historic jubillee-clip method, so some adaptation may be required to connect a German propane regulator to your caravan’s gas pipework.

As your caravan is in Germany, I strongly advise you to take it to a German caravan dealership and ask them to provide and fit a suitable regulator that will allow your German propane bottle to be SAFELY used.

1170454591_butaneregulator.jpg.39aceaffc7670678bb00a43d9c4e6468.jpg

thank you so much for your response. it's very helpful. moving the caravan now that it's sat where it is will be difficult, as the vehicle that got it there is no longer available. i am going to have to get a gas expert over to have a look then, although there is a regulator that goes with the butane bottle that is attached via a hose to a cooker. the cooker is no longer in use, but it is the bottle from that set up that I've been told i can use. i assume that i can use that regulator (for attaching propane bottle to cooker) on the caravan - obviously that's where a professional would have to come in to make sure it was connected properly - it not a jubilee clip thing i don't think -

thanks again - i'll be back in germany in early december so will have a proper look then, and hopefully get it sorted out.

Archived