cooling fans for caravan fridges

Jakeyjohn

Jakeyjohn - 2012-08-29 1:27 PM

Has anyone installed cooling fans to the rear of the fridge in their 'van?Would be v.grateful for advice to do this job if you have done it,wiring,technical,etc.Jakeyjohn.

Hi John;

I planned to do it on our 3-way fridge but ended up changing it for an absorption type.

Consequently I have an unused 2-fan setup bought from CAKTANKS; and am open to offers ,

regards

alan b

snowie - 2012-08-29 4:18 PM

Has anyone installed cooling fans to the rear of the fridge in their 'van?Would be v.grateful for advice to do this job if you have done it,wiring,technical,etc.Jakeyjohn.

Hi John;

I planned to do it on our 3-way fridge but ended up changing it for an absorption type.

Consequently I have an unused 2-fan setup bought from CAKTANKS; and am open to offers ,

regards

alan b

As 3-way (gas/12V/230V) fridges are 'absorption'-type, I suspect that you changed to a non-gas "compression"-type fridge.

Ease of fitting of a fan-unit will depend on the fridge that's involved and how it's been installed in the leisure-vehicle (and how competent the DIYer is).

There's a fitting article here

http://www.caktanks.com/news/Fridge%20Vent%20Fan%20Caravan%20Magazine%20-%20July07.pdf

GOOGLEing on "fridge cooling fan" will retrieve plenty of other related discussion (some of it needing to be treated with caution!)

Inexpensive computer fans are often used, but choosing a kit would be simpler. As Alan says CAK Tanks market single- and twin-fan kits

http://www.caktanks.com/files/cak_catalogue_2012/2012_CAK_Fridges.pdf

and they are also available here

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/fantastic.htm

Derek Uzzell - 2012-08-30 6:21 PM

snowie - 2012-08-29 4:18 PM

Hi John;

regards

alan b

As 3-way (gas/12V/230V) fridges are 'absorption'-type, I suspect that you changed to a non-gas "compression"-type fridge

Absolutely right;

regards

alan b

Although fitting a fan can have benefits checking other reasons for why the fridge is not working effectively should also be looked at. Firstly do you plan to use the fridge in temperatures above 30-35 degrees C, if so then the fridge is not designed to work at 100% efficiency.

Secondly look at where your fridge is on the van. If it is blocked by an open door, or even on the awning side then in high heat environments it will not work effectively.

In high heat areas remove the outside vents to allow better air flow, shade the fridge if possible from direct sun but allow air flow. Be realistic, this is not a compressor fridge so will not be as good. It will make ice cubes yes, but usually over night, not during the day. We are currently in Spain where the temp has 'dropped' from 37 to 31 but the Thetford fridge is still doing ok without fans but following the above comments. However, we have 'cheated' and have a compressor fridge in the awning for all the beers, wine and ice cream etc. In the long run it was the best remedy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Happy New Year to the folks who read my request for info on installing fans to rear of caravan fridge,but seriously,does "alan b" exist?Am still awaiting response re the set he allegedly needs to dispose of.Look forward to hearing from you,if still available,Jakeyjohn

We fitted a double extractor fan to our fridge vent before visiting Italy, great not to have to worry about the overheating and the bench top now never gets warm, as it used to prior to the fitting.

Cheap and easy to do

Jakeyjohn - 2013-01-19 2:42 PM

Happy New Year to the folks who read my request for info on installing fans to rear of caravan fridge,but seriously,does "alan b" exist?Am still awaiting response re the set he allegedly needs to dispose of.Look forward to hearing from you,if still available,Jakeyjohn

"snowie" (Alan Bell) continues to be an active forum participanr and, in fact, logged on early this morning.

You could try contacting him using the forum's Private Messaging system. Click on the PROFILE box in 'snowie's' last posting and then click on "Send this user a private message". You'll note that snowie's profile carries an e-mail address, but I've no idea if that's current. Alan's company was called ABV Visualize and more details (not necessarily current) are here:

http://www.fyple.co.uk/company/a-b-v-visualize-7qee7q/

Alan's most recent posting seems to have been on 5 January 2013 10:59 PM on this thread:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Weather-in-Spain/29928/

If you really want to provoke a response, you could start a new thread (I suggest on the Motorhome Matters forum) with a subject-title "SNOWIE - HAVE YOU STILL GOT THE FRIDGE FANS?" That should get a reaction.

Archived