dogs & caravans !!

mikecaz

Hi Mike and welcome, Personally I find that dogs seem to see caravans and motorhomes as extensions of their real home and will behave just as they do there. Make sure you have a strong post for the ground for them to be reined to when you are camped up. Joy

For the caravan we buy soft fleece type rugs that are used as throws on the seats as we do like to allow the dogs to sit with us in the evenings - Far more amusing to watch their faces as the wild life starts wandering around the cvan in the evenings!! These soft fleece throws can be tucked into and around the seats to make a neat cover. This protects the seats as all that is needed is a shake off once or twice a day. Easy!

The dogs we have are quite large and each has their own beds that they sleep in at night and they sleep on the floor by preference.

During the day they are in the awning in the main and we use good quality wind breaks to keep them in but give them a bit of freedom within strict boundaries.

I know some people do not like windbreaks but when you have dogs they are seriously useful.

As for car travel - if they have not been in a car before then I sugest you give them a few tries before the big event as the last thing you want when towing is a dog getting fractious behind you.

As far as I am concerned our dogs make caravanning more enjoyable. With a little bit of planning you will have a great time. Just remember the poo bags and pick up after you!

If you don't then responcible dog owners like me will pick it up for you but you will end up wearing it after we give it back to you!! (lol) (lol) (lol)

Hi,

And almost all dogs LOVE cars, though we did have one that suffered travel sickness, so no food before a journey.

Our idiot mutt is better behaved in the van than at home. And frantic to get into his box in back of car. He can bark all the way from Swansea to Dinan, apart from a break for the tunnel. He doesn't seem to like ferries.

Hi,

The original poster (Mike & Caz) said they had Labradors, and how do you train them?

Somebody once told me that Chocolate Labradors are never used as guide dogs ...... with good reason.

So, Mike and Caz, what colour are yours?

OT....my neighbour's (black) lab met the local canal (Glynneath) for the first time. He jumped in, and stayed in for two hours. Maybe not a good idea if you have a caravan. :-D

hi

that was the reason for getting the van they love it as much as we do.we have 3 yorkies they are quite happy sat outside in the sunshine(if there is any ) or sat in the awning with us or in their bedroom which is the cab .Okay they get noisy if a bigger dog gets too close to where we are sat on occasion but it does nt last for long.They are taken on regular walks & poo bags are in constant use .

look forward to our next trip but will wait until school holidays over.

Children do like to make a fuss of them they then want it all the time every time the children go past they then want their attention.

enjoy your camping&touring irene

Guest 10strichen

Hi there, i was interested to read your thread on dogs and caravans. We have been caravanning for a couple of years now and love it and now also have two 6 month old border collie puppies. We were worried at first about how they would get on especially as one is not good at travelling at all.

As our puppies live outside in their own 6 x 8 house (converted shed) and aren't used to being in our house at all we didn't think it would be good for them to be in the caravan either as they are so used to their own space. So we bought them a 2 man pop up tent and lined it with thick carpet and put their bed etc in it and practised with them. We have been to a couple of caravan sites since and the owners / wardens have been more than happy for the dogs tent to be pitched right next to our caravan.

The reason Im telling you is because our puppies loved it. They barked once a day when a man walked passed them early in the morning (to take a short cut) and that was it.

So if you don't think they will settle in your caravan because it is smaller than the space they are used to perhaps try a tent right next to you, it worked a treat for us.

hi, i have 1 golden lab & 2 black ones. Our dogs also sleep outside in a 8x6 shed, with carpets and bedding, and the dont have to putup with some1 snoring *-) We are planning to take all 3 dogs away to a local site soon, but after school starts again, mainly because the dogs like poeple but not other dogs. With shmbo & 3 dogs i guess the caravan will b more cosy than normal.

10strichen - 2009-08-02 8:38 AM

we bought them a 2 man pop up tent and lined it with thick carpet and put their bed etc in it and practised with them. We have been to a couple of caravan sites since and the owners / wardens have been more than happy for the dogs tent to be pitched right next to our caravan.

Now I understand why they call them pup tents!!

We have 3 dogs who love being away with us, the 2 pups are learning camp site etiquette!

• 7 months later...
Update... due to illness we now have 2 dogs, who still aint got this caravan thing sorted. At home the dogs spend alot of time outside, chasing and barking at any thing that moves. When away in van, they see this as an extention of their property. Seems like we need some advise/training if the dogs are to carry on camping.

Hi there

Regardless of whether you take the camping or not, it sounds like you need to get your dogs under control and trained to do what you want otherwise you and they won't be able to really enjoy your caravan holidays. We have a couple of dogs and have had many 'handfuls' over the years from rescue centres etc, and once we have some control over them they become more settled generally - they seem to be happier knowing what the boundaries are and that they are not always 'in charge'.

Fortunately, labradors are very 'willing' dogs and usually take to training very well so it shouldn't be as hard as it could be!

Have fun! :-D

• 1 month later...

We always take our dog with us he loves caravaning he looks on the caravan as his second home and we never have any problems with him.

We have had several dogs in our caravaning years and always taken them on holiday with us. Most of them we have had a puppies and got them use to the caravan from the start, but we also had a rehomed dog and he also took to caravaning with no problems.

We always have good holidays with our dog hes part of the family.

• 1 year later...

Hi ,

We always take our welsh terrier with us, as she is a member of the family, she travels very well and , as the other members have said, she treats it as her second home!

The only problem we have found, is finding somewhere to eat out that will allow dogs in.

There are a few pubs about , but I would advise you to pop your head in and ask first.

regards, Mike

Archived