electrolux fridge

hopkins1

My 12 year old caravan fridge is an Electrolux, Model RM 4721.

I have tried to fit a new jet onto the gas burner, but it appears to be a very tight fit. I don't want to use too much force in case of possible damage.

I am inclined to carefully heat the jet so as to expand it. This should enable it to fit without too much force.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

There are some photos of the gas jet of an Electrolux RM4270 fridgeon the following webpage and I expect the jet is similar (or even the same) as that of your RM4721 appliance.

http://haydonend.co.uk/pics/carav-fridge/

There is nothing on the webpage about the jet being difficult to fit and on-line comments relating to fitting a new jet to RM4721 fridges suggest that it's normally a straightforward process. So Question One is "Have you got the correct replacement jet?"

If you have got the right part and there's nothing apparent (like corrosion that can be cleaned off) that's preventing the new jet being fitted, I can't see any problem with your suggestion to carefully heat up the jet to minimise the use of force. As the jet sits in the gas-burner assembly a bit of heat's not going to hurt it.

Before fitting the new jet, make sure there's no 'muck' lurking between the jet and the burner itself.

Retread24800 - 2013-10-23 4:28 PM

Surely heating the jet will cause it to expand and thus it will become more difficult to fit?

I think hopkins1's fridge may be an RM4271 (not 4721), in which case the design of the gas jet and burner-assembly will be as shown in the link I provided earlier.

I don't know how these jets fit in the burner-assembly, but, if they just push into the assembly rather than fit over something within the assembly, then (as you rightly say) heating the jet up to expand its diameter would be counter-productive. Assuming that the jet is just a push-fit, leaving the jet in a freezer for a while may well reduce its diameter sufficiently to allow it to be pushed in easily. If it's still tight, then freezing the jet and heating the burner assembly might allow it to be inserted without forcing it.

A gas-jet suitable for an Electrolux RM4271 fridge is advertised here http://tinyurl.com/nv9m4bw and there are parts diagrams here http://tinyurl.com/pc6fecg

Gas-jets do differ in design, but this type is commonly used for Electrolux/Dometic fridges, with the aperture through which the gas passes varying in size according to the model of fridge's gas-flow.

The gas-burner assembly of an RM4270 fridge (shown in photos in the link I provided above) matches that of my Dometic 7-Series fridge/freezer. While I've not replaced the jet in my Dometic appliance's burner-assembly, it's plain what the task involves.

On-line comments suggest that the jet is sometimes sufficiently 'loose' in the burner-assembly that detaching the assembly and tapping on a hard surface the end into which the gas-supply pipe screws will cause the jet to fall out. Otherwise (as described in the link) it may be necessary to provide gentle leverage.

Plainly hopkins1 has managed to remove the original jet. As the jet is held in place by the end of the gas-supply pipe being screwed hard against it, it's possible that the pressure of the pipe causes the jet to deform slightly. If this happens, it may be easy to remove and refit a (hypothetically deformed) jet, but a brand-new (hypothetically undeformed) jet may resist entry into the burner-assembly.

Assuming that the correct jet for the fridge has been obtained, one might reasonably expect it not to be such a tight fit in the 'hole' in the burner-assembly that fitting advice needs to be sought. After all, jet replacement is often recommended as part of the standard fridge servicing procedure, so the task should, in principle, be easy enough.

There is the possibility that jointing-compound was used when the gas-supply pipe was screwed into the burner-assembly and that jointing-compound residue within the burner-assembly is inhibiting easy entry of the new jet. Worth checking then that the part of the burner-assembly through which the jet must pass is completely clean.

Hold on folks.

Tony (hopkins1) has not logged onto the forum since posting his original question so he's either monitoring answers without logging on OR he's forgotten which forums he's asked the question on and hasn't been back to read any answers.

I hope it is the former and if so I'm sure we all would appreciate an answer from him as to whether he's fixed his problem yet.

Keith.

Hi to everyone for your great and useful help and advice.

I have been away for a week and this is the first opportunity to post a reply.

The gas jet came offf when I disconnected the burner, but I did not know where it had come from.

I assumed that it fitted over the gas burner ring, but now I know that it fits at the other end of the gas burner, being held in place by the gas pipe.

Many thanks again, especially for the link showing exactly where the jet fits.

Tony :-D

Archived