A Frames and Insurance

Twa Westies

I'm in the process of renewing my Motorhome insurance but am struggling to find companies that will cover the A frame used to tow my Toyota IQ. I've a had a few good quotes but the A frame is the problem. I see a lot of motorhomes towing small cars these days so there must be a solution has anyone got an answer please.

These days insurance companies seem to be taking every opportunity they can to exclude cover for everything they can, so I suppose a legally contentious or ambiguous area like towing another vehicle with an A Frame (as opposed to on a trailer) was bound to catch their eye sooner or later.  They seem to want to exclude everything they can which isn't either "core business" of a motorhome policy.

Thank goodness for the Road Traffic Act provisions which make it illegal for them to exclude being off road, eg on a campsite, as a way of avoiding a few more claims.

I have no objection to A Frames but at least there is an alternative to them if your insurer decides to exclude or charge extra; our Toyota rides very well on a trailer and although parking the trailer when on site can sometimes be a little bit problematic if the pitches are small, one way and another we've always managed quite well.

• 1 year later...

From experience trailers (that includes flat towed vehicles) tend to be covered third party by the towing vehicles policy - and often, then, not for the load!

You may find it equally difficult to find comprehensive insurance for either a trailer and load or a flat towed "trailer" (vehicle).

Caravan Guard have always been helpful.

Archived