Choice of towcar

david lloyd

Hi everyone

The notion of getting a car/caravan is, at the moment, just that but I do have some previous experience having had a Lunar Lexon EB towed with a Nissan X-trial before.

I have a similar sized van in mind but am thinking of a BMW X3 to tow with - has anyone any experience of this car or could anyone point me in the direction of good advice as it's merits and any suitable alternatives in the same sort of vein?

Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I have now had chance to consider a short list of suitable towcars and visited some garages to see first hand what we would be getting. One major factor we have to take account of is that my wife cares for her elderly mum who also needs to be able to get in and out. She previously had not too much trouble getting into the X-Trail but when we saw the BMW X3 it has a very high stepwell - much higher than most others we have seen - so it has now been ruled out.

Our current favourite is the Kia Sorento - CC Towcar of the year 2006 and Best in the over 1800kg category this year - it has always had good reports and, after comparing the vital statistics against others, it compares very well.

So, change of direction and I wondered if anyone out there has first hand experience of the Kia Sorento, which model to choose and anything to watch out for?

Thanks in advance, David

Hi Folk's i am back after a short break in Blackmore -Malvern-

re. tow car's, we tow a little micra, and its been a god send, Fitted with a A-frame,cheap to run and light.

I am still hoping to here from anyone travelling with oxygen,

keep smiling

(lol)

• 5 months later...

Hi David

We had a Kia Sorento Automatic 2.5 Diesel and is was superb at towing. You can't go wrong. Only problem we found with it was it is a bumpy ride which can eventually get you down on a long run. O.K. with the caravan connected though. Swapped it for an MH but now wondering if we did the right thing!!!!! We have had 4 Kias and have never had any real trouble with them.

• 1 month later...

Well, we tried the Kia Sorento and what a lovely car it is too - however, it ain't great on the old fuel consumption I have to say!

Still, as we were missing the motorhome so much but wanted to still enjoy the space and comfort of the caravan (plenty of room for the rest of the family on occasions) we decided to change back to motorhoming but also keep the caravan and will shortly exchange the 4x4 for a La Strada Avanti campervan to tow it with.

Best of both worlds eh?

david lloyd - 2008-04-11 4:15 PM Well, we tried the Kia Sorento and what a lovely car it is too - however, it ain't great on the old fuel consumption I have to say! Still, as we were missing the motorhome so much but wanted to still enjoy the space and comfort of the caravan (plenty of room for the rest of the family on occasions) we decided to change back to motorhoming but also keep the caravan and will shortly exchange the 4x4 for a La Strada Avanti campervan to tow it with. Best of both worlds eh?

Hi David

How many are there in your family then?. Can't see why you would want to have both an MH and caravan. There is only one group of people I can think of who do that!!!

Think you migh have a problem on club sites. Double charges etc even if they let you on in the first place.

John

Hi John

It's not just to be able to take the family with us - and part of the problem of having a fixed bed version is that it is only a 4 berth caravan - but as many others have said one of the downsides to a caravan is the amount of setting up and packing up involved. That's OK for a fairly long stay but for one night it's a bit tiresome.

Similarly, whilst on a long break in France (or even here perhaps) we can go off touring and if we see something we want to make more of can find the nearest aire and stay overnight. In this country we can also visit somehwere for the day but have tea and toilet facilities with us and, again, just stay somewhere overnight if the fancy takes us. Finally, having a camper is a little more versatile if we need to carry something (DIY project materials etc) and can get more in than the 4x4.

I have had some feedback about the clubs' attitude and have not uncovered any serious issues there - I think you have to be fair though and I wouldn't even attempt to use both vehicles on the same pitch for camping. In all other respects it is no different to having the caravan and a 4x4.

Most people who have tried both motorhomes and caravans acknowledge that both have their respective merits and, hopefully, we will be able to get the best out of both.

David

Archived