Honda CR-V

Dandy

My wife and I have a Honda CR-V. The manual states that the kerbweight is 1617 KG. If you look at the Honda CR-V which is in the dealer's showroom the brochure states that the kerbweight is 1713 KG. When we look in Caravan Buyer, references to the Honda CR-V suggest that its kerbweight is 1890 KG. This is a considerable difference when one is considering towing a heavy caravan.

Any commentrs?

Dandy

• 2 weeks later...

As has been said the kerb weight depends on the model build, the amount of 'toys' a particular model within the CR-V range has built into it. The brochure is likely to give the heaviest value a CR-V might be.

IMO the actual kerb weight and thus its relevance in the 85% mass ratio guidance figure so often quoted is no where near as important as some would have you believe. I would simply choose the model that best suites my needs and funds and not worry about adding toys just to increase its mass; the towing stability of any model that shares similar tyres is going to be very similar to any other model with or without mass adding toys. The sideways stiffness of the vehicles rear end is a more important characteristic than mass and across the range this will be quite similar, but could vary with different size/profile tyres. A sporty tyre is likely to be better for towing stability than a comfort tyre in achieving high rear end lateral stiffness.

• 3 months later...

Archived