Misinformation in the March-Go Caravan Magazine.

TheTravellingRooster

Hi to you all out there. This is perhaps not the best way of going about pointing out an error but it is certainly the fastest and most direct. In the March issue,I got it as a Double Magazine Pack with Caravan Magazine on Friday 11th February there are some very misleading statements. On page 52,What weight can I tow. The answer as written is, "Legally,100% of the cars kerbside weight". This in most cases is WRONG. The maximum that can be towed is the maximum braked towing weight as dictated by the vehicle manufacturer. If the trailer/caravan is un-braked then this is also dictated by the manufacturer.

The issue of the 100% of the cars kerbweight,if you can find it without going and physically putting it onto a weighbridge is quite simply that it is ill advised on the Queens Highway to tow at 100% unless very experienced and certainly not at some of the ludicrous figures above known kerbweight that some manufacturers quote.

Newbies/Beginners/Novice caravanner's' are advise to remain up-to or at 85% until experience & confidence is built-up over a sensible period of towing practice.

The advise to choose a caravan at MTPLM of 90% of the cars kerbweight in my opinion for a total newbie/novice/beginner not good advice.

This current notion of elevating the 85% guideline is purely to placate and patronise the caravan manufacturers that are making their products heavier & heavier model for model year on year. Heavier vans/more toys = more profit.

In the light of the modern cars weight being driven down and down the caravan manufacturers should be following them. They are making it more & more necessary to ditch the larger yet economic saloons and estate cars in favour of chasing Fuel Guzzling Chelsea Tractors.

I think you are overstating it by saying it is "misinformation" as it is bases on the legal position for Category B licence holders. That is what most of those taking the test from 1997 would hold. Clearly even 100% cant be towed if the vehicle itself has not got the manufactures rating to haul its own weight but that's not common.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_10013073

Whether it's wise information is quite another thing to being "misleading".

With decades of towing experience I feel the guidance for caravans to be "not more than 85% of kerb-weight" is outdated; it is not recognising the technology changes in vehicles, tyres, caravans and the dynamic stability controls available for both. Clearly you need modern equipment to benefit from these advances and not be using technology of more than about 5 years old; if you are using such older stuff then I go along with needing these high ratio to overcome the lack of sophistication.

I have towed my caravan glitch free at 104%, [old licence holder] though with my own car its only 70%. I would not recommend 104%, however I would equally not be so inflexible not to accept given the right kit that people should stick to just 85% without any flexibility.

Ocsid - 2011-02-13 8:19 AMI think you are overstating it by saying it is "misinformation" as it is bases on the legal position for Category B licence holders. That is what most of those taking the test from 1997 would hold. Clearly even 100% cant be towed if the vehicle itself has not got the manufactures rating to haul its own weight but that's not common.http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_10013073Whether it's wise information is quite another thing to being "misleading".With decades of towing experience I feel the guidance for caravans to be "not more than 85% of kerb-weight" is outdated; it is not recognising the technology changes in vehicles, tyres, caravans and the dynamic stability controls available for both. Clearly you need modern equipment to benefit from these advances and not be using technology of more than about 5 years old; if you are using such older stuff then I go along with needing these high ratio to overcome the lack of sophistication.I have towed my caravan glitch free at 104%, [old licence holder] though with my own car its only 70%. I would not recommend 104%, however I would equally not be so inflexible not to accept given the right kit that people should stick to just 85% without any flexibility.

Hi to those following this post.I started off by saying "misleading" because for the most part it is just that.The short input into the Go Caravan Magazine is insufficient to cover the issue thoroughly.It is economic with detail/input to say the very least.What follows is Airy-Fairy.I did however use the very strong WRONG in my openers.

Cat' B license holders or not,to exceed the stated maximum towing limit is ILLEGAL. Even if a tow-vehicle is bought without an Owners Manual the maximum braked towing weight/limit is a simple calculation based on the figures clearly stated on the Vin Plate. The difference between the Gross Vehicle Weight & The Train weight is that figure.On my 97 Volvo V70 T5 CD Auto it is 1600kgs;any one that cannot work that out or not diligent enough to ask;should not be towing.

To take the stance that all of the Toys & Gizmos on cars & caravans is a legitimate reason to up the recommended (TO BEGINNERS) 85% guideline is in my opinion a pre-determined act of lunacy.

The other side of upping the 85% and assuming that even the most recent designated "I'm now An Expert" can cope with what only years/mileage teachers us.

Modern Technology fails,ABS suddenly doesn't,ATC on the car & or caravan wont.

Further more anyone that takes the figures of Kerbweight & MiRO from the respective manufacturers or the Data Bases is asking for trouble.

The only way to know is to get your outfit to a Dynamic Axle Weighbridge and get it weighed and then get the tow-vehicle weighed on its own. These bridges are accurate to 0.5%,the most accurate in the world. VOSA have them installed at their "FOLLOW ME SITES".

The manufacturer,installer & of these bridges is based in Runcorn,Cheshire.They have one of their bridges for public use at their premises currently £6.00 per pass-over.If you have your two starting weights and then weigh/document everything that goes into/onto the car/caravan then you have done as "Belt & Braces" a job as is feasibly possible to do. DO NOT FORGET that the hitch-weight is counted as weight in the car & over the back axle.

Loading a car & caravan is in real terms a great deal more than just lobbing it all in,shutting the doors and setting off in Gay Abandon.Tyre pressures and condition if not up to scratch; can & will screw it all up nevertheless.

Archived