Suitable Match

Tartdog

Hi I have a VW Jetta 1.9 SE TDI DSG and am looking at a Sterling Europa 460 2 berth van am wondering how I find out if it is a suitable match,I have read about the 85% rule and on another site the result I was getting was 87% is this with the van empty without any personal items/awnings etc? please advice.

Work out the kerb weight of your tow car and the MTPLM of the caravan. You can legally tow up to 100% of the kerbweight but many Organisations prefer a limit of 85% as a safety factor, but it is not obligatory. Also do check in your car book what is the maximum weight your particular model can tow. Again, this is a absolute maximum and not to be taken as a norm. Some models have lower weights due to transmissions etc. Your VIN plate on your car will show this total car and trailer weight as the maximum Train Weight.

Looking at one of the comparison sites you can tow this van but you are not going to have sparkling performance as you are about 87% kerbweight. You may find you are changing gears a lot to keep up.

http://www.towcar.info/report.php

Archived