Towbars and MOTs

Keithl

I've just been told by my sister who works for a national car lease firm that as of this April towbars will become a part of the MOT test.

I don't yet know exactly what will be inspected but if I can find out more I will add to this post.

Has anyone else heard of this addition to the MOT?

I'll also post this on Motorhome Matters to see what response I get.

Keith.

Sounds like good news that somebody will be looking at the towbar and presumably its security/integrity. I doubt if it gets even a passing inspection during the vehicles service.

Clearly if its sound you have no concerns about it being looked at and if its not sound you will be the keenest to know.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I am an MOT tester of many years, you are right that towbars are now included in the MOT test, but nothing frightening, simple examinations of the surroundind 30cm of chassis around the mounting points/bolts, the tow ball itself, up to 25% wear on the ball is acceptable, to the testers discretion as usual, but if a ball cover is fitted, we are not allowed to remove it!.

Detachable or swan-neck towbars are checked for wear in attaching points, if detachable neck not fitted, cannot be inspected, just the rest of the bar, all sensible stuff really, a really big point as far as I am concerned, make sure your towbar ball does not obscure your registration plate as is often seen, an automatic failure!

Archived