Towing with a Toyota Auris 1.6 petrol ?

pkc

Guest Tracker

I like the Auris as a car - a bit bland but easy to drive and to live with.

Having driven a 1.6 manual - most seem to be auto? - a few years back one had to give it welly to make decent progress as it appeared to be a high revving low torque engine which is not ideal for towing as you might be forced to use lower gears to keep the revs up.

Depends how far and how often you want to go I guess?

Perhaps an Eriba, but not much else, I have towed with a Carina estate, that was a 2 litre Auto, and a 1997 Rav4 4 door manual, again with a 2 litre engine. Both were excellent Towcars, by far the best being the 'older style' Rav4. But an Auris with a 1.6 will be no 'Ball of fire' in the towing stakes, and it's relatively light weight will limit the vans you will be able to tow.

I now have a Yaris, and a Motohome. Pity Toyota don't do a Motorhome Chassis as I would have one 'like a shot'. Ray

Thanks very much for your input guys, I guess I was hoping for someone to post that they towed with the Auris and it was better than I suspected, and this would convince SWMBO to let me stick a tow bar on her shopping trolley.

Your posts sadly confirm what I already thought.

Unfortunately this means you are now both off my Christmas card list.

(I can get really childish when refused new toys)

:-D

Guest Tracker
pkc - 2012-04-05 5:01 PM

Not at all - if SWMBO wants a caravan this is your excuse to get her a nice 2.2 diesel RAV4 shopping trolley - but best get a pre 2010 model as the newer ones have that wretched DPF scourge.

Tracker - 2012-04-05 5:16 PM

pkc - 2012-04-05 5:01 PM

Not at all - if SWMBO wants a caravan this is your excuse to get her a nice 2.2 diesel RAV4 shopping trolley - but best get a pre 2010 model as the newer ones have that wretched DPF scourge.

Totally agree with tracker, also the latest Rav4's don't have a spare wheel, on a 4x4 I find that crazy. and where better to mount it than on the back door ? where it gives you added 'rear impact' protection.

1997 Toyota Rav4, The most reliable car i have owned in over 50 years of driving. Ray

Archived