Wanted Smart Car and/or A Frame

MGB

Hi, don,t tow a smart car on an A frame, you will damage the gearbox. i KNOW THAT PEOPLE DO SO, but after buying my smart I looked into this with mercedes in germany who told me it was a big no no.

A frames will soon be unlawfull to use on all EU roads I think the time frame is 2010. so this would be a waste of time and money buying a braked unit.

Get a small trailer and look after the car, and remain in the law.You will always beable to sale the trailer but who will want the A frame and the repair costs to the smart.

michael

We towed a Smart car for 6 months and never had a problem (mechanically) other than the fact I decided it would be easier to tow a caravan. Sold the lot and bought a caravan (lost a fortune!). Much happier and now feel that at least what I am doing is legal everywhere unlike an 'A' frame.

John

Sorry to hear you lost a fortune I have had to repair seals on drive shafts etc. Why did you not buy a small trailer? It is a shame there is such a clamp down on A frames Does anyone know what way its going?

Hope your happy touring with your van

Happy New Year

Regards,

Brendan.

onecal vw - 2009-01-11 9:52 PM John Sorry to hear you lost a fortune I have had to repair seals on drive shafts etc. Why did you not buy a small trailer? It is a shame there is such a clamp down on A frames Does anyone know what way its going? Hope your happy touring with your van Happy New Year Regards, Brendan.

We actually got fed up with motorhoming. Too much driving and not a bit relaxing. Each to his own!!!!!

In answer to the A frame bit, It looks like the UK will be falling in line with the rest of the EU, maybe this is part of the lisbon paper ( who knows for sure) and this will make using an A frame ilegal.

I use a small trailer for the smart thats only 4 foot longer then the car so the same as a smart and A frame, Just don,t see the point in A frames.

michael

We used to have a trailer for our Smart car but found some sites (especially in Italy and Belgium) could not find room for the MH, car and trailer on one pitch. Using the A frame, with Brake Buddy, last year to Tuscany and back was soooo much easier. :-D ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have Towed a car on the trailer with my motorhome through France Italy Austria Germany Belgium last year with no problems. But some of my friends on the same tour had problems in Austria and France towing cars with an A frame. They were made decouple and then allowed carry on with just a warning.

Regards,

Brendan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rainbow Chasers'

Have you ever had any troubles when towing with your 'Mastertow' as my understanding is that they are classed as 'Towing dollies and are only legal for recovering broken down vehicles.

I think they fall into the same class of recovery equipment as the A frames which attach under the front of a car.

One other question, are they braked, as if not you are probably limited to 750 kg max, that is if they are legal in the UK at all.

Perhaps other forum users can confirm or refute my thoughts.

Keith.

I note that "Mastertow" is a USA company.

While towing a vehicle using a 'dolly' may well be legal for a private individual to do in the USA, as far as I'm aware it is not in the UK.

(This subject would be better discussed on the Motorhome Matters forum where it would undoubtedly receive more attention.)

A follow-up on towing in the UK using a 'dolly'.

There's a fair bit of stuff on the Internet regarding the legality of this. Received wisdom seems to be that it's illegal except for 'recovery' purposes, but there is some contrary argument. A plausible summary of the position (that I'm personally comfortable with) is offered by "Miket" on

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/general-cobra-discussion/21282-law-using-towing-dolly.html

Archived