Which Band Am I Now In?

jenny.k

• 1 month later...
My car is a Vectra 2.2. A standard hatchback one would think. My van is a Peugot Boxer base 2.5 and is cheaper to tax than my car. Who knows what DVLA are thinking. Anyone could own something like a 1965 4.5 litre truck and there would be no road tax! I don't understand the thinking here!

Vic:

The present Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) Banding system makes sense if you go back to its inception many years ago and then apply to the initial concept all the tinkerings that successive governments (not the DVLA) have imposed.

Of course this will be far from easy and you'll still end up with apparent anomalies - like a motorcaravan above 3500kg chassis-weight having an annual VED of £165, while the exact same vehicle, if 'down-plated' to 3500kg, having a VED of £180. And, as you rightly highlight, certain vehicles over a particular age are exempt from VED.

The VED system just IS - you don't need to understand why, just pay up!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Derek Uzzell - 2007-06-02 7:40 AM

Of course this will be far from easy and you'll still end up with apparent anomalies - like a motorcaravan above 3500kg chassis-weight having an annual VED of £165, while the exact same vehicle, if 'down-plated' to 3500kg, having a VED of £180. And, as you rightly highlight, certain vehicles over a particular age are exempt from VED.

The VED system just IS - you don't need to understand why, just pay up!

and if you thought that buying a eco friendly small motorhome on a van base with manufatures windows already fitted, the VED goes through the roof ! £400 plus . ( could be corrected here !!)

tony:

Could be a question of DVLA rule-interpretation here.

As I understand it, the type of motorhome you mention can be taxed in the £400-band because it's Type Approval Certificate provides a CO2 emissions datum (which the certificates for the majority of other motorhome-types don't).

This seems reasonable to me as the UK now has a vehicle taxation system based on CO2 emissions. Conversely, new motorhomes in the UK continue to be exempt from Type Approval, so it might be argued that the DVLA should ignore the Type Approval Certificate figure completely and tax 'window-van-based' motorhomes as Private/Light Goods in the traditional manner.

Archived