fifth wheelers

david bingley

Hi.

I am new to this forum.

My wife and I are going to go "full timing" soon.

Problem is we can't decide between a motor home and a fifth wheeler.

We have looked at both extensively and are only confused.

Ideally we would like to be in contact with someone who has done both but would like to talk to anyone who has or has had a fifth wheeler.

Please heeeeeeeeeeeelp.

Regards Bing

There are pros and cons with both, I personally would go for the 5th wheel. If you are full timing then you may stay in one place for long periods of time, so with the 5th wheel you have a vehicle to get around in and leave the home behind. Plus the living space is bigger as you would have slide outs

Motorhomes on the otherhand are great for touring and free camping.

What you guys need to do is decide what you want to do!! are you going on the road or setting down taking it easy moving on when you feel like it.

You can always change from one to the other!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I took so long to reply. Been away for a while on hols.

We plan on spending most of our time in mainland Europe. France, Spain, Germany and like that.

Sort of made up our minds to go 5th wheeler. Mostly for the comfort and space plus having a vehicle to use whilst there.

All sorts to consider I suppose but moving perhaps six or seven times a year will become the norm.

A lot depends on getting a good rate for staying longer in one spot.

I have asked in the UK and the reaction so far is not good. The answer usually is "no discount for staying longer". We really dont know how to do it over here yet. The French are miles ahead in that respect, wouldn't you agree.

David

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

we have toured scotland and now touring france in our 5th wheel. It is a great way to travel- heads will turn and the roads can be a bit tricky. However, once on the pitch it is really a home away from home. Make sure you only store melamine/plastic crockery and plates.

The advantage is that you can leave the 5th wheel at a campsite and go sightseeing in your truck.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are pros and cons with 5th wheelers as with all things. Yes, thye allow you to have a vehicle on site but remember the tow truck will likely be a big Yank machine and even on diesel it will be fuel hungry. Also, how many times will you move from site to site? We know people who have both in Spain and there seems to be a mixed set of opinons. The 5th wheeler brigade have dare I say it, tendencies towards big US trucks anyway, and so the priority is split. The clue was in the US Confederate flags often flying outside. There are also ones with RV's and these usually have a small car as a runabout. The extra cost is small when you see the fuel savings. Plus they can use the car to drive home if necessary. They also tend to leave the RV or 5th wheeler on sites for long periods of time, certainly more than 1 year and so are semi permanent if you wish. One site that comes to mind is La Manga in Spain where there is a large 'colony' of both 5th wheelers and US Rv's staying.

Good luck with what you decide

• 3 years later...

Archived