seat alhambra 1.9 tdi

jo-annet123

• 5 weeks later...

we never owned one - but 3 years ago the cylinder head gasket went on our disco as we were towing a caravan on our way to france - we were just 20 miles short of Dover at 2am in the morning.

Anyhow, the insurance paid for a hire car and we ended up with an Alhambra - ours was the petrol version and we had a largeish caravan - sterling jewel with the end bedroom. about 1350kg I think

It coped - ok down hill with a following wind, but nothing to spare.

I am sure it would be a fine tow car as long as your caravan is not too big/heavy - we were probably just in the 85percent, but I must admit we didn't check :-S

Carol

Hello Jo,

My son had a Seat Alhambra TDI 115 bhp and it towed our 1999 Swift Challenger 480 SE with no trouble at all. Personally as a VW buff I consider the 115 bhp version of the VW/Seat TDI engine as the best for low down torque and ideal for towing, better than the 130 bhp TDI that I had.

Any of the like vehicles, Seat Alhambra/VW Sharan/Ford Galaxy, with the diesel engines should be more than capable of making a good tow car and you have the added advantage of all that room as a bonus.

Regards,

Mike.

Archived