Winter caravanning

Administrator

Winter caravanning  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Winter, apart from the water freezing in our unheated tanks makes no difference to our camping.

The thought of £20k of motorhome sat in our carport doing nowt is unthinkable. For us the odd mild inconvienience of the water freezing is part of the fun - it means we have to migrate to shower blocks in the morning. It's only actually froze solid on us three times in over 8 years of winter camping so no great hardship.

We tend to stay in and around a 70 mile radius, ecompassing Hawes, Skipton, Garstang, York.

My advice is get out there, get the heating turned up, relax and enjoy it.

Martyn

Not so keen on the rain (but I think we get that in the summer as well??? :-D ) - but getting up with a frost all around is truly wonderful

And we are lucky - our seasonal pitch site has a clubhouse that does a great Sunday Roast where we can all get together for a drink and a good meal.

In many ways - just as enjoyable as a summer BBQ - just different.

Guest Tracker

Yes but probably not in the UK as the general anti motorhome attitude, dark afternoons, wet weather and a border collie who likes to run 10 miles a day are all not conducive to having fun.

Off to Spain, Portugal and Morocco for two months in January.

Shame really because there is still so much of the UK to explore - if only it were as camping car friendly as France and Germany - still there we have it - the UK's loss not mine!

"Off to Spain, Portugal and Morocco for two months in January."

You know - you can't 'arf go off people - Tracker!!!

That is the two months when we cannot use our caravan (seasonal pitch restriction) so no easy weekends away for two whole months!!!

May your second bottle of Rioja give you a mild headache the following morning (lol)

Guest Tracker
CliveH - 2008-10-30 2:33 PM

"Off to Spain, Portugal and Morocco for two months in January."

You know - you can't 'arf go off people - Tracker!!!

That is the two months when we cannot use our caravan (seasonal pitch restriction) so no easy weekends away for two whole months!!!

May your second bottle of Rioja give you a mild headache the following morning (lol)

Methinks the second bottle of gas might give me more of a headache when it quietly and inconveniently expires!

We will certainly be using the caravan over the winter.

The site at Crystal Palace makes an ideal base for Christmas shopping trips, and there are plenty of restaurants around if you really can't be bothered to cook, though doing a traditional roast in the van is a good way of warming it up!

Might go up to Kendal as well, you can just cook whatever you run over on the surrounding lanes, and serve with fava beans and a nice Chianti! >:-)

Yes we use ours in the winter though for us a EHU is essential for more than a week-end, we cant cope longer in winter on battery alone.

A spell of damp weather for us takes the edge off the fun, you cant get things really dry, or avoid window condensation.

Dry cold, which normally is accompanied by sun shine is fantastic. The vans heating on gas copes admirably, again providing the battery holds up.

As the evenings are long it's better with friends; out trying the local hostelries or entertaining in. If alone take DVDs.

Baltic Wharf and other in city/town venues are excellent, frequent buses, shops for the boss, restaurants, hard-standing, pavements, street lighting, etc . Most of these sites tend only to be available during the week; the regulars having block booked all the weekends whether they need them or not, preventing longer breaks!

However I feel winter caravanning better suits couples rather than families.

• 3 weeks later...
Join the Camping and Caravanning Club, There are lots of rallys and meets over the winter months, dont like rallies I hear you say, well try one you will be surprised, you dont have to join in any thing if you dont want to, just turn up ,pay the fee and do your own thing if thats what you like. We are going to Sandy Balls in the New Forest next week with a Rally, £10 a night with electric all facilities site, swiming pool ,Ice rink ,bar ,shop, club room etc. and super walks along the river Avon and direct access to the New Forest. We also are members of a group called The Skylarks .we use Bashley Park, [ NEW MILTON HANTS. ] over the winter , about 10 winter meets this year, £12 a night , electric pool, bar and food available,No membership required just phone the organiser and tell him you are coming and thats it. E. Mail me if you are interested.Caravans welcome, but no tents or trailer tents, [ council rules. ].

We try and pop away as much as we can even in the winter, although we have shorter days so it gets dark early, during the day we can get out and about, with or without wet gear! (the dogs have taught us that trick!) and enjoy the countryside or wherever, rather than closing the curtains at home and vegetating!

It was lovely waking up Sunday morning to snow - didn't last too long but the wet on the trees catching the sun was like an early christmas tree lit up with twinkling lights - magical and free (my favourite!)

Hi-all This is my first reply on the forum. Yes i will be going away in the winter. In fact I should be away up north to fort william as i speak, problems with my van have set the trip back till next week all going well with the repairs. I cant wait to get away and get some nice pictures of hills and snow. My dogs love going away in the winter or should I say they they like me love going away most of the time subject to my health being ok.

I will let you all know how my trip goes and post a few pictures of Bonnie Scotland :-D

Archived