new legislation maybe...

Administrator

Guest Tracker

I'm no expert but having seen what happens to someone when a diabetic coma strikes, I'm amazed that there are not already some pretty tough medical requirements for drivers known to be at risk?

I have a friend who used to suffer from very rare epilectic fits and he was not allowed drive for several years following an attack - not until he had been fit free for, I think, something like three years?

And if diabetes comes under scrutiny what about the risk of heart attack or stroke for those known to be at risk?

And then what about the risks of smoking whilst driving?

Maybe we should all take more care when crossing the road as yuo never know the medical condition of the driver in any approaching car, van, motorhome, tractor, motor cycle, bike or truck?

Please do not give the DVLA any more power to remove licenses!

They are incapable of treating each case on its severity or otherwise.

I am still waiting for my license to be returned 3 months after the hospital said I was fit to drive.

DVLA admitted to me that mail will lie unopened for 2 weeks before it is even entered on their system.

Funny how my revokation took less than a week!

I cannot believe that the posts here seem to be submitting to this future proposed discriminative legislation. Do you not realise that Diabetes is one of the most prolific diseases in the UK and is not always brought on by being a fat lazy unfit slob ...but by the amounts of hidden sugars in our daily foods that we, as a nation consume. Now thats where the legislation should be enforced on our food manufactureres/processors. Is a Type 2 Diabetic more dangerous than a habitual drunk behind the wheel? Is a Diabetic, who through a natural degeneration of their pancreas, is now on a regime of diet and pills more dangerous than a boy racer ? I agree that a re-test at 70 is reasonable but to think of removing your right to travel and enjoy your retired life after working for it, because of some ill thought ,pandemic legislation is,as far as I am concerned, out side my basic human rights..and I can just see our French and Spanish friends persuing this as vigerousley as this is done in the UK

Guest Tracker

And what about the human rights of the poor s#d that just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time when a diabetic coma, heart attack or stroke strike a driver - particularly a driver of a three and a half ton motorhome?

I come from a family with a long genetic trail of heart problems none of which affect me - yet -but one of the aspects that I have to consider, like it or not, is the impact any sudden illness would have on other road users or pedestrians.

Like it or not I may one day be deemed unfit to drive and when that happens, if it happens I will have to accept it for the greater good.

It's called responsibility for one's own actions - and I take mine very seriously.

On the other hand I do agree that any lebislation needs to be balanced and not knee jerk - fat chance with the EU in charge perhaps?

Sorry if that offends but that's the way I see it!

It surprises me that there are so few restrictions on holding a Driving license, Many People, myself included passed our test and read a number plate at 25 yards fifty years ago, in that time I know that my eyesight has deteriorated to the extent where I need to wear glasses to correct my vision, but there is no UK requirement that you should!

Similarly, people with Diabetes suffer from retinal problems and a host of other afflictions already detailed above, any one of which if un treated and and or un diagnosed could mean that the driver is a menace to society.

The rules from the EU seem to be eminently sensible, you may drive as a diabetic but only after a medical assessment of your fitness to drive, seems fair enough! 

• 3 weeks later...
Retread24800 - 2011-09-10 4:40 PM

It surprises me that there are so few restrictions on holding a Driving license, I know that my eyesight has deteriorated to the extent where I need to wear glasses to correct my vision, but there is no UK requirement that you should!

If you have defective eyesight and need glasses to correct your vision, then it should be on your licence. It sounds like you haven't reach the time when you need to re-new your licence. When you do you will have to declare it and also it is wise to carry a spare set with you just in case anything happens to your glasses ie. broken or loss. Not sure if you have to report it straight away so that the licence can be updated.Dave

nowtelse2do - 2011-09-28 8:53 PM  If you have defective eyesight and need glasses to correct your vision, then it should be on your licence. It sounds like you haven't reach the time when you need to re-new your licence. When you do you will have to declare it and also it is wise to carry a spare set with you just in case anything happens to your glasses ie. broken or loss. Not sure if you have to report it straight away so that the licence can be updated. Dave

And in the preceding 53 years? (17 to 70 ) Over here it is an obligation to have your need to wear glasses added to your Permis, as I found out when I exchanged for a French license recently, and carry a spare pair..............fair nuf?

• 11 months later...

Ah! More Legislation. just what the country needs. That will cut unemployment, get the economy moving etc:

The French, Spanish (who STILL fish up to the UK`s Beaches) will of course observe all these new "regulations" (Yeah!!). Like they do over "A" frame towing!!!. (the treaty of Rome say that if its NOT illegal in the country of your origin then as a VISITOR you are allowed to do it).

CONTROLLED diabetes is no worse than any other CONTROLLED disease (potential risk factor). and FAR less worse than the Idiots (Bankers) who Push cocaine up their noses and then drive the Porsche at illegal speeds. But of course the patient will be required to PAY for the examinations Etc; so more revenue for the (unelected) Government.

The sooner we get out of Europe and retrieve control of our Own Country the better. !!!!

Rant over!! I feel better already!!

Pete

• 3 months later...
PeteH - 2012-09-03 8:43 PM

Ah! More Legislation. just what the country needs. That will cut unemployment, get the economy moving etc:

The French, Spanish (who STILL fish up to the UK`s Beaches) will of course observe all these new "regulations" (Yeah!!). Like they do over "A" frame towing!!!. (the treaty of Rome say that if its NOT illegal in the country of your origin then as a VISITOR you are allowed to do it).

CONTROLLED diabetes is no worse than any other CONTROLLED disease (potential risk factor). and FAR less worse than the Idiots (Bankers) who Push cocaine up their noses and then drive the Porsche at illegal speeds. But of course the patient will be required to PAY for the examinations Etc; so more revenue for the (unelected) Government.

The sooner we get out of Europe and retrieve control of our Own Country the better. !!!!

Rant over!! I feel better already!!

Pete

I couldn't have put that any better myself, thanks Pete, at last a little common sense, a virtue that seems to be sadly lacking among the ruling classes! ;-) B-)

• 1 month later...
Hmm, interesting subject. There are many medical reasons why any individual could be a danger on the roads, but surely a doctor will advise patients when they should refrain from driving. I once had an infection of Labrynthitus which is some kind of virus in the ear causing problems with balance. I was told by the doctor not to drive for a week until the giddyness had gone and my balance was restored again. I don't see that people with known medical problems are the main worry - it's the folk who don't know that they have a medical problem who can be the biggest danger on the roads, and that could be any one of us. Anyone who is registered as diabetic is monitored regularly including eyesight tests, they are advised and treatedaccordingly. As far as people over the age of 70 being retested seems a strange idea altogether, these are people who have had around 50 years experience on the roads dealing with all types of idiots that we come across - I know that traffic volumes and traffic speeds have altered greatly over the last 50 years but the changes haven't happened overnight - they've taken 50 years to gradually change. Seeing that we all do deteriorate with age a more sensible thing might be for over 70s to have a medical examination periodically as HGV driver do, but as far as retesting goes well passing another driving test would not show any medical problems. It's a bit like saying that people who drink excessivly should take a retest now and then just in case they drink too much one time when they are out in the car.... Just my view folks.......

People with diabetes already have to inform the DVLA of their condition. Margaret has type 2 diabetes which is controlled by medication. She is not overweight and can still get into her wedding dress 40 years after the event! She has twice yearly check-ups and annual eye test at the hospital. So she is well aware of any changes in her condition. In those circumstances she is much better awareness of her condition than someone who never goes to their doctor and who may have a much higher risk of an illness that could affect their driving ability.

David

Our neighbour is a delightful elderly gent but his Toyota Prius does not have one panel on it that is not badly dented.

He drives at speeds faster than I do and looks scared to death.

I spoke to his son-in-law about it as tactfully as i could and was told that the family are greatly concerned about his driving but he thinks he is OK because the GP just approves his licence.

Amazingly - a few years ago he was wearing these odd glasses with vertical stripes over one eye - i asked what they were for and he said they were to "correct his double vision"

8-)

Wow - he sounds like some scary neighbour Clive. Reckon there's a few about like that but I have to say I have a neighbour near me who I would guess to be in her late 20s or early 30s and she drives about the villages flat out.... a while back she came round a corner in our local village so fast that she nearly rear ended a parked builders truck - she had to swerve out quickly into the path of the oncoming car (me) who had to quickly nip up the pavement to avoid a bump. With her it's a case of lack of experience I suppose. Oh well no doubt there are horror stories about all age groups....hey ho.

• 7 months later...
Tracker - 2011-09-08 12:17 PM

I'm no expert but having seen what happens to someone when a diabetic coma strikes, I'm amazed that there are not already some pretty tough medical requirements for drivers known to be at risk?

I have a friend who used to suffer from very rare epilectic fits and he was not allowed drive for several years following an attack - not until he had been fit free for, I think, something like three years?

And if diabetes comes under scrutiny what about the risk of heart attack or stroke for those known to be at risk?

And then what about the risks of smoking whilst driving?

Maybe we should all take more care when crossing the road as yuo never know the medical condition of the driver in any approaching car, van, motorhome, tractor, motor cycle, bike or truck?

What about people who might die, what did the Romans do for us anyway

For goodness sake...it's impossible and IMO undesirable to legislate for all and every risk in life.  How many reports do we hear/read from the press about diabetics medical problems having caused an accident?  I have never heard of a single case.

The 'what if' brigade really are a pain in the backside...........mitigate risk by all means, use common sense but for goodness sake lets not let more legislation make life more difficult than it already is.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
barrychas7730 - 2011-09-09 8:23 PM

Is a Type 2 Diabetic more dangerous than a habitual drunk behind the wheel? Is a Diabetic, who through a natural degeneration of their pancreas, is now on a regime of diet and pills more dangerous than a boy racer ?

I don't think this really makes your point (which I think you have). The habitual drunk, one would assume, is only dangerous behind the wheel when he is drunk, and their are already rules against that. Taking his license away to drive when he was sober would be unjust I believe. If he had previously offended, then again, he would have points, and his licence eventually would be taken away. The same applies to the boy racer. They are both dangerous on the road, therefore there are rules in place to tackle that. The same should be done for those with an illness that can affect their driving.

(As for the sugar in the national diet, your other point, I completely agree with you on. That is certainly more important that these drivers, and is slowly delibitating our nation.)

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I've just opened this discussion, only to see that it appears to have been dormant for a few years, Whatever ....

I read something this year (2017) that seemed to suggested that diabetics can now drive HGVs, albeit with a few hoops to jump through.

I spent some time in charge of a Medical Enforcement team at DVLC ... albeit over 30 years ago. At that time, the worst "deny-ers" were young male diabetics, who felt that life had dealt them a rotten hand.

But worse, to my mind, were the 20 to 30 notifications received every day, from driving examiners, about test candidates being unable to read a number plate. How could a driving school take on a pupil, train them up to the point where they are considered fit to take their test, ... without doing this simple test?

In theory, we should have revoked the licence immediately. In practice, we gave then 14 days to produce an optician's certificate to say they were fit to drive. I cannot remember any case where a certificate was not produced ... with the candidates now wearing spectacles.

Be aware that a Cat.B only licence, driving a Land Rover Discovery, is limited to towing only about 850kg MGW (not ALW). No entitlement means no insurance.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

It takes 3 weeks to get to see a specific doctor at my medical centre. They blame this on all the new people moving into the district. But surely, if somebody registers with the practice, then the practice is paid whatever the sum is, and the practice can afford to employ another GP. Oops! Sorry, wrong can of worms.

Dare I suggest that I can't get to see my doctor on medical grounds, because they are spending too much time examining people who need a driving licence, or want a passport, or jabs for stange foreign diseases, or a copy of their passport certified for a loan application.

Or in my case, writting prescriptions for blood pressure tablets, instead of treating my subdural haematoma. I drove with that for three months before they got round to drilling a hole in my head, after which they pulled my licence for three months.

602 (MOG)

Archived