---

Guest Syd

Just signed up to this petition, anyone else interested, just follow the link at the bottom of the post

The petition was created by William J. Whitehouse and reads:

'We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to prevent the

use of non-geograpic numbers by General Medical Practioners and

out of hours doctor services.'

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NGN-use-by-GPs/

Syd - 2007-10-27 10:34 AM

It is to stop essential service providers from useing the high cost phone numbers

But, with respect Syd, non-geographic numbers are not high-cost ones.

The high-cost ones are those which are designated "premium rate"

Granted, non-geographic numbers are not quite as cheap as local numbers - IF you live within the same STD code area.

But for all those who DON'T live within that STD cose area and ring the number concerned, there's no difference in price. Everyone pays the same, wherever they are dialling from.

You can of course also ring those numbers for "free" if you have one of the bundled phone/TV/interent etc packages that give you free landline calls.

Or am I missing something here?

Guest Tracker

I think maybe because 0870 numbers commonly use a 'national' charge rate and cost the caller more to use than the local numbers that used to apply.

Not only but also - the owner of the 0870 (or similar) number gets a rake off from BT or the service provider and that is the cynical and offensive bit.

Also if you have a "bundled" calls package many of 'em exclude NGNs which I think is the point. If you are calling an out of hours doctor it will normally be at a time when you would normally expect to get reduced or free rate calls. We use Sky Talk which gives us free evening and weekend calls for all but NGNs

Archived