£1 coin

Tracker

Does everyone know that from 15th October the old one piece pound coin will no longer be legal tender.

I understand that you should still be able to exchange them at a bank or pay them into an account but given how helpful banks are when it comes to attitude and service that might not be as easy as it should be?

Far easier to go out now and spend 'em!

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2017-10-04 5:43 PM

Tracker - 2017-10-04 5:18 PM

Does everyone know that from 15th October the old one piece pound coin will no longer be legal tender.............................

No! Thanks.

Better spend your savings quick then Brian ;-) .......

Although if I were you I wouldn't try spending those groats :D ........

Does everyone know that from 15th October the old one piece pound coin will no longer be legal tender.

I understand that you should still be able to exchange them at a bank or pay them into an account but given how helpful banks are when it comes to attitude and service that might not be as easy as it should be?

No I didn't Rich. Thanks for the heads up.

Veronica

This is a real problem for me. The other day, after seeing a report on this on TV, I found that I still have an old pound coin. As a pensioner living in southern France we are struggling a bit with the exchange rates and all that stuff, not to mention what might happen when my neighbours realise that I would have voted to leave Europe if CG hadn't messed up my vote, so every pound is important to us. I could travel back to the UK before the deadline and change it, but that might cost more than I would lose if I didn't. I could post it back to my son in the UK to change for me, but even that would cost more than a pound, so maybe not. The only solution would be that if any of you is planning to spend a night at the Prayssac Aire before the deadline maybe we could meet up and you could change it for me? I would be most grateful.

AGD

Archiesgrandad - 2017-10-04 7:42 PM

maybe we could meet up and you could change it for me? I would be most grateful.

AGD

Oh you poor old soul, if it helps I would be happy to change your old £1 coin for you.

I still have a few left, do you have any particular year as a preference?

hi Richie,

A report I seen on tv indicated that after the date [15th oct] you will not even be able to change in a bank, they will just be worthless coins. Might be worth people checking this out and not just thinking they're ok to bank them later.

cheers

derek

A bank note is a promisory note issued by the Bank of England and as such will always be honoured by them, usually via your local commercial bank, whereas a coin has no such staus and can be withdrawn at any time without any legal compulsion for acceptance after the withdrawal date.

Tracker - 2017-10-05 3:47 PM

A bank note is a promisory note issued by the Bank of England and as such will always be honoured by them, usually via your local commercial bank, whereas a coin has no such staus and can be withdrawn at any time without any legal compulsion for acceptance after the withdrawal date.

However, as I said above, the banks WILL accept the old £1 coins for a reasonable time when they cease to be legal tender.

I believe that I did state this in my very first post at the top of the page, but I don't much care what the theory is or what anyone else does with their old £1 coins.

We spent the last of our old £1 coins today as it is a heck of a lot easier to sit in the warm(ish) Autumn sunshine and enjoy a coffee and a sticky bun by the riverside in Stratford upon Avon than faffing about with banks etc after 15th October!!

I live in Wicklow Ireland and like you I am retired and have a little time to waste SO the wife and I could pop over by RYAN AIR get a taxi up to you,collect the coin,give you 1.20€ take it to London,cash it in ,get a flight to Dublin ,get the free O.A.P. bus back to Wicklow ,we think we could get it done for you at about 550€

The advantage of you doing this is the fact you won't be ripped off by the government not paying you your £

Kevin

I live in Wicklow Ireland and like you I am retired and have a little time to waste SO the wife and I could pop over by RYAN AIR get a taxi up to you,collect the coin,give you 1.20€ take it to London,cash it in ,get a flight to Dublin ,get the free O.A.P. bus back to Wicklow ,we think we could get it done for you at about 550€

The advantage of you doing this is the fact you won't be ripped off by the government not paying you your £

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

Archived