Affect of Brexit on motorhoming in Europe?

rambling robin

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One possible consequence that occurs to me is that the EU's partially successful efforts to reduce/abolish roaming charges will probably no longer apply & providers will find an excuse to keep them high. However

(a) If the country decides to leave EU I reckon it will be 4/5 years before we actually leave

(b) to use this as a reason to vote any particular way is somewhat trite given the seriousness of the decision and the effect it would mainly have on our kids and grandkids.

So to answer your query- no it wouldn't sway my vote

Officialdom can/will be awkward whatever our membership status. Won't make any difference to travel (even if a visa becomes necessary). They will still be happy to take our cash and see us go back home when we've spent it all.

Talking to European expats here some would vote to leave if they had the chance so we may get envious looks if we do quit.

rambling robin - 2016-04-16 2:39 PM

Well, someone had to ask - may as well be me.

With the Remain crew spreading FUD everywhere, anyone got any worries about travelling in the EU if we leave? Would it sway your vote???????? 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Travelling on the continent was much more ' interesting ' before we were in the EU - with all the different road signs to learn - crossing manned borders - and constantly changing currencies.

There's no real sense of adventure any more - so no problems about leaving EU for me as far as travel goes.

( Although I do seem to recall that they used to restrict how much money we could take ' abroad ' - wouldn't like that again ! )

For me, leaving or not is about what we expect to happen in the future - and I'm still hoping to hear some facts about that to help me decide - everyone's just guessing / scaremongering at the moment..

;-)

malc d - 2016-04-16 8:54 PM

rambling robin - 2016-04-16 2:39 PM

Well, someone had to ask - may as well be me.

With the Remain crew spreading FUD everywhere, anyone got any worries about travelling in the EU if we leave? Would it sway your vote???????? 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Travelling on the continent was much more ' interesting ' before we were in the EU - with all the different road signs to learn - crossing manned borders - and constantly changing currencies.

There's no real sense of adventure any more - so no problems about leaving EU for me as far as travel goes.

( Although I do seem to recall that they used to restrict how much money we could take ' abroad ' - wouldn't like that again ! )

For me, leaving or not is about what we expect to happen in the future - and I'm still hoping to hear some facts about that to help me decide - everyone's just guessing / scaremongering at the moment..

;-)

Let's hope that they reintroduce Eurocheques if we BREXIT - they were great!

Now you need a Euro account to have a valid cheque book.

I'm definitely for OUT.... never yet found a European site or restaurant manager who didn't want our cash, nothing will change! Maybe even the French might FROGXIT too (lol)

Brexit would be a big change and there would surely be profound economic and border control upheaval.  I think it would be foolish to assume there would be no consequences for touring motorhomers.

Exactly what the impact would be would take some working out by cleverer people than me and they would probably get it wrong but I feel sure it would at least be unsettling or worse.

I'm still undecided about which way to vote but the Out campaigners will have to do a lot better at explaining why we need to leave NOW in order to convince me than they have done so far.  It's all very well banging on about recovering our "lost sovereignty" as a matter of principle, but isn't that more about some of our politicians wanting unbridled power to mess things up for themselves again?

What bothers me about this whole topic is that all the focus is on negatives.

In a normal election it's all - vote for me and all these wonderful things will happen.

In the referendum it's all doom and gloom. No-one has come along and said - if we stay in all these things will get better - because they won't.

As some have said, EU countries will still be happy to take our money - and vice-versa. Airline travel to Europe has been 'shock/horror/fear' NO MORE CHEAP FLIGHTS etc etc. But that's rubbish - you don't shoot the golden goose...........

I don't know a lot about travelling in Europe - but guess that some members may have been there over a number of years and seen changes in the rules and regs - insurance and recovery seem to be important as well as driving license - I wonder if there would be any problems in those areas?

What about ports/ferry/customs controls?

rambling robin - 2016-04-17 9:37 AM....No-one has come along and said - if we stay in all these things will get better - because they won't....

The Prime Minister did get some concessions recently, notably that UK is exempt from pressure or penalty for not joining the Euro and exempt from the "ever closer union" objective, which realistically is unlikely to ever happen anyway.  Can you imagine a federated United States of Europe ever happening?  We also remain outside the Schengen area and we've got the English Channel which isn't going to go away, so we can control our borders if we gear up properly to do so - and the migrant camps are still in Calais and not Dover. 

And there is no permanent or absolute block on further progress either.  Nor can we have big treaty changes imposed on us because they require all 28 countries to agree to them.

OK so we are subjected to some OTT rules stemming from the EU but is there anything which really does damage - and some of it is very good, for example we now have far better consumer protection law in UK than they have in America?  Our local Council makes silly decisions and imposes silly rules from time to time without needing any help from the EU so why get so exited when some of the silly rules happen to be coming from foreign politicians for a change?

I still think the crux of the matter is whether there is a clear case for leaving the EU now, as opposed to next year or the year after if things so intolerably bad that the case becomes clear cut.  It's not at all clear to me that the case for leaving is clear cut yet.

The one big problem with the EU, is IMO that the people making all the rules, are NOT elected by us.

We have been represented by "Failed " politicians , who failed to gain election in Uk , so get a plumb job in Brussels !! Therefore we are not represented by our choice What suits the Germans/(who lost the wars!) and the French (who gave in to Germans in WW2) does not suit all.

I would not be surprised if we do opt out, that other countries will follow (Dutch??)

If we do opt out, are we going to send the undesirable back to there own country?? Which we can't do at the moment (Human rights??)

PJay

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2016-04-17 8:14 AM

Brexit would be a big change and there would surely be profound economic and border control upheaval.  I think it would be foolish to assume there would be no consequences for touring motorhomers.

Profound??......Why profound? :-S ......Are you really suggesting that Europe will set up border posts just for the Brits (lol) (lol) (lol) ........

They WILL probably set up more border controls, but they'll be an attempt to control migration, NOT holiday makers wanting to spend dosh in their country's ;-) .........

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2016-04-17 10:43 AM
rambling robin - 2016-04-17 9:37 AM....No-one has come along and said - if we stay in all these things will get better - because they won't....

The Prime Minister did get some concessions recently, notably that UK is exempt from pressure or penalty for not joining the Euro and exempt from the "ever closer union" objective,

I think you'll find what Cameron got from the EU has been widely accepted as both worthless nor binding on the EU........Shades of Chamberlain and his "Peace in our time" comes to mind......except Europe has basically told Cameron to "Peace off" (lol) (lol) (lol) .......

Guest pelmetman
Muswell - 2016-04-17 9:17 AM
StuartO - 2016-04-17 8:14 AMbut isn't that more about some of our politicians wanting unbridled power to mess things up for themselves again?

And some businessmen wanting to roll back a lot of the protections we benefit from.
Lord Rose has admitted that should we leave.... wages for the medium to low pay are likely to go up B-).........Naturally he didn't think that was a good idea (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

Guest pelmetman
rambling robin - 2016-04-17 9:37 AM

I don't know a lot about travelling in Europe - but guess that some members may have been there over a number of years and seen changes in the rules and regs - insurance and recovery seem to be important as well as driving license - I wonder if there would be any problems in those areas?

What about ports/ferry/customs controls?

We have come across plenty of none EU folk who seem to be able to tour Europe in a Campervan without any issues ;-) ........

I think I shall vote OUT. This country did not fight 2 world wars to be eventually taken over by unelected bods in Brussels, I consider them on a par with the FIFA bunch of crooks.

I also think that the EU states need us more than we need them, so I cannot see them being difficult to deal with, after we escape their overpowering grip on our democracy.

The world is a big place, with plenty of free markets to trade with. Must go now, have to send my 10 million pound leaflet back to Dave.

I think that people are waiting to be given facts that unfortunately don't exist,

Seems to me we are stuck with the mere opinions of two camps, one who is positive that everything's going to be fine after exit and we could expect to emerge to broad sunlit uplands, with no evidence to support their view, and the other who predict a forthcoming disaster, also with no way of knowing with any great certainty.

What I find worrying is if we do leave and the opinion of the leave camp turns out to be dreadfully wrong, what is the fallback plan?

Painful memories of the way we had to grovel to enter would rule out any chance that any politician in his right mind would even contemplate the task of asking to rejoin.

Also having told the French to stuff it I can't see much evidence that we could expect to be welcomed back with open arms, worse still the United States would I am sure would see us as irrelevant and turn to Germany as the prime mover in Europe.

I am sure that Boris and the leave camp will accuse me of being a stick in the mud with a lack of pioneer spirit, but history teaches me that the Pioneers are the one that you find at the side of the trail with arrows sticking out of their backs.

So the plan is?

Nobody in their right mind would start out on such a venture without a fallback position,

It seems to me that no matter how good your team plan is and what the pundits predict,

its a little like running out on to the field without a goalie.

Having said my piece I think Sophie2 is right the topic is already on Your views.

:-|

pkc - 2016-04-17 1:26 PM

I think that people are waiting to be given facts that unfortunately don't exist,

:-|

How is this for a factual summary :

If we leave and everything goes pear shaped - we are stuffed.

If we stay and everything goes pear shaped - we can leave.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
pkc - 2016-04-17 1:26 PM

I am sure that Boris and the leave camp will accuse me of being a stick in the mud with a lack of pioneer spirit, but history teaches me that the Pioneers are the one that you find at the side of the trail with arrows sticking out of their backs.

So the plan is?

Nobody in their right mind would start out on such a venture without a fallback position,

It seems to me that no matter how good your team plan is and what the pundits predict,

its a little like running out on to the field without a goalie.

Or another analogy could be.......those who clung to Titanic, went down with it 8-) ........

With another round of euro bail outs on the horizon requiring input from the UK, (Cameron's opt out is meaningless) with the prospect of further Balkan countries joining the EU, with the migrants invited by Mrs Merkel being eligible for passports in the next few years and with eurozone countries in recession making the UK attractive to their jobless what exactly is the fallback position for remaining in?

In or Out there are uncertainties but at least by Brexitting I have the opportunity to vote for a government that is accountable to UK voters rather than the eurocrats who are largely unaccountable.

Sophie2 - 2016-04-17 11:06 AM

If people are going to be banging on about "in"or "out" in general terms, can someone start a separate thread away from the Motorhome threads??

Oh- alright then - don't ;-)

On the basis of the billions of euros which is wasted/spent by the EU (which British Taxpayers are contributing to), the fact that our MEPs have few or no voting powers against 27 other states so there';s little chance of any reform....

I'm an OUT

Archived