Air suspension

grahamtyson

Being lazy I don't like using levellers on my Rapido 7086F. Can anyone tell me if air suspension would do the job - I really don't fancy spending £2.5 grand on the electronic levellers that Transleisure flog.

I used to have an RV with magic self levelling struts, pity one can't get them for European motorhomes.

Hi Terry - I've got an old (1992) leaf-sprung Eura Mobil, on a Peugeot J5 chassis cab (same as Citroen C25 and Talbot Express).

As is normal for vans of that vintage, it's got a saggy arse - the leaf springs now actually bend up in the middle. Still tootles along OK, but I am thinking of some form of spring assisters.

Two options have so far seemed likely - either leafspring assisters from someone like Grayston; or those bellows type assisters such as you had fitted.

Could you tell us a bit more about how they are working out for you.....thanks

Go for the air suspension, either from Marlce or Airride, you will not regret it. The big advantages of air assisters over something like "MAD" or "Grayston" spring assisters is they are both a fixed rate spring where the air assistance gives you a variable rate of assistance. to answer the original question, yes it can be used to partially level the 'van but (certainly in the side to side direction) only if the two sides have separate connections or a switchable tap near the connection. It would still be preferrable to use corner steadies to stop the 'van a rocking though.

D.

Hi Dave

I have got two quages in the footwell of my Swift Suntore 630L and they both show 1.6 bar at the moment.

I have not touched them since we got the van and assume this is the right setting even though it does feel a bit bouncy in the back (according to the kids)

Both guages are marked AL-Ko and have seperate connectors, I never realised that they could be used as sideways levelers.

Could I actually use a foot pump to pump up one side or the other and then just release the pressure before leaving site?

Havn't got any corner steadies fitted.

Thanks for any help, sorry for jumping on the thread.

kevandali

Hi Kev, yes you could use a foot pump to adjust the pressure but why not invest in one of those cheap 12 volt compressors? Try experimenting with the pressures to get the best ride comfort for the loading of the 'van, i run my air-rides at between 20 and 30 psi depending on loading. Check in your handbook for the maximum pressure though, you wouldn't want to burst one (unlikely but not impossible if you got carried away).

D.

Hi Graham had some Air Ride units fitted on my magellan and yes you do get a degree of level adjustment plus a softer ride,less roll ,and better straight line stability, i would fit them again to any new van i buy :-> :->

Hi Bruce,

I agree with Dave N. the air suspension allows more control over the ride than beefing up the existing springs with Graysons, although I recall when I fitted Grayson spring assisters to my brand new 1967 Morris Traveller, you could adjust the ride with a big spanner whilst laying under the car!!

The air suspension which is fitted to my camper has individual controls on a small manifold connected to each side with built in pressure gauge located on the drivers footwell. I alter the pressure as required by using an electric tyre inflator.

I bought the system mainly to combat poor road surfaces as the Belgium roads for example. The existing rear axle bump stop, which even in an unloaded state, is only about half to one inch off of the rear springs, as soon as the wheels go over a small bump or pot hole, the bump stop will hit the spring resulting in a jarring harsh ride, although I read that these bump stops are part of the suspension springing, and are meant to operate in a progressive manor so a harsh ride would be quite normal.

I usually inflate the air suspension to 15 psi, I arrived at this figure by deflating the suspension to 5 psi and messuring the height of the rear bumper from the ground when the camper was unloaded. After loading the camper for touring, I then inflated the suspension to bring it back to its unloaded height which was 15 psi.

When testing the suspension after it was first fitted, I took the air pressure to 80 psi to test all connections for air leaks, this jacked the rear up another 7". The maximum pressure for these air bellows are 100 psi each side.

Oh yes - I don't mind Belgium roads so much now, the ride is definately less jarring and I don't need the leveling blocks quite so often now.

Regards Terry

We fitted airride suspension to our last van - an Autotrail Cheyenne and the difference in ride was terrific - we lost "the roll". We are about to collect a new Autotrail Dakota on an Alko chassis and are investigating air ride for the Alko - has anybody fitted to this type please? :-S

I asked Alko at the Dusseldorf show last year if they were able to fit air suspension to their new chassis for the new Sevels. They said that they could not do it yet but would be able to for models from August this year. Disappointed I asked Goldscmit who said "no problem" we can do it even if Alko can not.

We had intended to go to Germany this year and have Goldscmit do the job to our new tag axle Frankia which we picked up in June but have so far found the ride (and the better height) of the new Alko without air assistors to be perfect so wont bother yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I have a Rimor Eurpeo 5 that i brought 5 months it has a garage on the back which i put my Triumph 675 race bike in the back, it ways 150kg, when there is someone sitting at the table whilst driving the left side rear wheel seems to hit the arch somewhere?????

On roundabouts it rubs also.......

Would fitting air suspension help this????

Help, been to the dealer they don't want to know.......... :-(

Thanks

Keith.

Hi Keith, yes air suspension will probably help your motorhome but first of all I suggest you take it, fully loaded, to a weighbridge and check that you're not overloading your rear axle. If your weights are OK then air rides or similar will undoubtedly help. Just get it weighed first and don't forget to put the bike in and all your other clobber.

D.

P.S. nice website ;-)

davenewell@home - 2007-07-30 7:12 AM

Hi Keith, yes air suspension will probably help your motorhome but first of all I suggest you take it, fully loaded, to a weighbridge and check that you're not overloading your rear axle. If your weights are OK then air rides or similar will undoubtedly help. Just get it weighed first and don't forget to put the bike in and all your other clobber.

D.

P.S. nice website ;-)

Thank you.

Right just got back from the weigh bridge.......

The vin plate says:-

3500kg

6000kg

1- 1850kg

2- 2000kg

I had two of us in the van, water tanks half full, motorbike and kit in the garage etc it weighed

3520kg gross..............

I then took it to Fiat who looked round it and said the wheel is rubbing on the plastic splash shield called the wheel arch lining which is no mega deal the airide kit will stop that!

Does all this sound ok to you very helpful people???

Regards

Keith

I found the other thread, although not titled as you suggested. However what I was going to say is almost identical to what Brian has posted on the other thread. I suggest you read it carefully as there seems to be several implications to consider.

Phil.

Pentland - 2007-07-31 11:25 AM

davenewell@home - 2007-07-30 7:12 AM

D.

P.S. nice website ;-)

Thank you.

Right just got back from the weigh bridge.......

The vin plate says:-

3500kg

6000kg

1- 1850kg

2- 2000kg

I had two of us in the van, water tanks half full, motorbike and kit in the garage etc it weighed

3520kg gross..............

From reading the above, it appears to me that your van is overweight by 20kg in total, and from reading your further posting you also have 2030kg on the rear axle which is 30kg over the rear axle's maximum permitted weight! Your van contents need to go on a diet otherwise you risk prosecution, no insurance etc!!! You should never run your rig overweight, either the total permitted weight (MTPLM) or single axle weights. 8-)

I'm off to read the other posting mentioned now ...

Archived