Another puppy-related enquiry

Mandy will

You need to ensure that the puppy is well sheltered from the weather, and has water. On very cold nights at this time of year esp with such a young dog, I think you need to consider having the dog inside the van, for this purpose you might find a crate to be a good idea.

I Half suspect that this may be a wind up but if not, I am sorry if this sounds a little on the harsh side but think about it. Would you like to be outside this winter with minus temperatures ect. A nine week old puppy of any breed is not equipped to withstand those conditions. Why not buy the appropriate crate and have it in the van with you. Our two Cairn Terriers sleep in crates on the cab seats of our Motorhome and love it.

KC

PS What do you do with the dog while you are driving?

keen canary - 2019-02-05 3:29 PM

I Half suspect that this may be a wind up but if not, I am sorry if this sounds a little on the harsh side but think about it. Would you like to be outside this winter with minus temperatures ect. A nine week old puppy of any breed is not equipped to withstand those conditions. Why not buy the appropriate crate and have it in the van with you. Our two Cairn Terriers sleep in crates on the cab seats of our Motorhome and love it.

KC

It could well be a true story.

The ignorance of some people knows no bounds and the UK seems to be well stocked with them. *-)

Mandy will - 2019-02-05 1:13 PM

I live in a campervan and have a 9-week old puppy that lives with me at the moment. I have to keep taking it to my mother during the day, but at night I have to leave it outside. I was wondering if this is OK?

I can’t believe that anyone could leave a puppy outside at anytime of the year never mind in the winter. I would report it to the RSPCA if anyone I knew did this.

John.

You could try leaving the puppy in the van when it is around 0 c and you sleep outside. At such a young age it will be harmful to expose a puppy to such a harsh environment. I find it strange that you would consider such a drastic step, perhaps you could expand on why you have to leave the puppy outside and why it can't be in the van with you??

If this is a serious question - then NO is the simple answer.

The fact you've even considered it would imply that you really don't have any idea regarding animal welfare.

Even a fully grown dog would need decent protection from the elements, let alone a little pup - that's shocking!

If it is a wind-up, then I think you'll get a few more to take the bait :-D If it's not then give the pup to someone who will look after it - properly.

Amanda originally posted this enquiry with no title.

I added the "Another puppy-related enquiry” title myself and tweaked Amanda’s original text slighty to make it more readable.

While I was doing this Amanda posted a much shorter enquiry covering the same ground. As this would have been confusing I deleted her second posting (Which is why her ‘posting count’ is 2.)

I suggest you consider this a valid enquiry. I don’t know what advice Amanda is seeking (but I also suggest you try to be kind to a new forum-member.)

I disagree Derek. Her details should be forwarded to the RSPCA If they follow up (which I doubt) and she is in dire straits then the RSPCA Inspector will alert the Authorities to give her the help she needs. That way, both will be 'rescued'.

To know that an animal is being mistreated and ignore it when you can do something about it is not the way to go.

Are we that desperate for new forum members that we have to show kindness to someone who clearly has little regard for animal welfare?

What has the posters situation got to do with it - apart from the fact that it might have been unwise to take on a pup in the first place.

Frankly, if I where in her shoes I would re-home the dog to someone capable of looking after it.

Clearly its not a situation that causes you any concern - but others [me included] will struggle with showing the poster any empathy - Please yourself how you take that.

Hi , my second posting on this subject.

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but is Derek a Moderater of sorts or just an ordinary contributor.

Also after reading what Derek has said about the two postings, it seems even more like a wind up to me.

Which ever it is I stand by my comments and agree with the majority of members.

KC

I am enquiring about my Parrot, i forgot and left him out in the coldest night of the year....so the BBC said anyway.Since then i have had to nail his feet to the perch, to get him to stand upright.Also he is off of his food,

He no longer swears at me.....is he angry with me ? or is he an 'Ex Parrot'. ?

letters only to Monty Python, Hoax Villas, the Railway Cuttings, East Cheam.

keen canary - 2019-02-05 7:28 PM

Hi , my second posting on this subject.

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but is Derek a Moderater of sorts or just an ordinary contributor.

Also after reading what Derek has said about the two postings, it seems even more like a wind up to me.

Which ever it is I stand by my comments and agree with the majority of members.

KC

I am a forum Moderator - that’s why I was able to add a title to the original posting that had no title to begin with, ‘improve’ the original posting and delete Mandy Will’s subsequent much shorter duplicate posting.

I don’t know if the original posting is a spoof. Forum registration takes a degree of effort and spoof postings tend to be much more complex than Mandy’s. But If Mandy's first forum posting was intended to provoke the type of forum reaction shown from 747’s initiall response onwards, then the posting has been eminently successful. On the other hand, if Mandy’s enquiry was genuine, the response to the question " I was wondering if this is OK?” was always (and obviously) going to be “No, it is not OK” and a high likelihood of criticism resulting was predictable.

As Ray has now chosen to treat this thread with derision, would forum members like me to delete it in its entirety?

I also do not believe this is a spoof posting.

Through a small level of detective work I was able to ascertain Amanda's address and Google street view does indeed show a camper van parked on the drive! This information has been publicly posted by Amanda but I am not going to openly say where.

I agree with others that she should not be leaving any young animal outside in the cold and feel she needs reprimanding for doing so but obviously we don't know her circumstances for doing so.

Derek, my suggestion would be to 'moderate' this thread by removing posts accusing Amanda of making fake postings and leave it at that.

Keith (Assistant moderator).

747 - 2019-02-05 3:33 PM

KC

The ignorance of some people knows no bounds and the UK seems to be well stocked with them. *-)

So true 747, we have idiots we haven't used yet.

cheers

derek

747 - 2019-02-05 3:33 PM

KC

It certainly is at the moment :'( though not all are dog related!!!!

As for leaving a young puppy out in the cold....I suspect this is a wind up.....I doubt anyone who went to the trouble of getting a puppy would want to leave it out in the cold....a large pinch of salt is required here ;-)

Keithl - 2019-02-06 9:19 AM

All,

I have been asked to move this thread to Chatterbox as it is not MH related. Unless anyone has good reason to leave it in Motorhome Matters I will move it later this morning.

Keith.

That makes good sense - it might be worth considering moving to Chatterbox the other three recent puppy-related forum threads for the same reason.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=Puppy&author=&days=31&Submit=Search

Archived