Auctions

howie

Hi. Clearing out my late Stepmums house and now have a fair number of items to dispose of most of which is furniture. I,ve never dealt with auctions before though there,s a quite a few in our area.

What I would like to know is some idea of the procedure involved, if they usually collect or if I have to make my own arrangements, will they offer advice on valuation, what would be a fair precentage for them, whether to put a reserve price on each item or simply let them go for what evers offered etc. etc.

I,ll start ringing around next week, but in the meantime any advice or past experience would be welcome.

Howard

I think you'll find the auction rooms will visit and advise what is worth putting in, and what is not.  At least they did when I had a similar job to do.  You may need to ring round a bit, to get to the auction room dealing in the right stuff.  If there's anything potentially valuable (paintings, silver, antiques, arms and armour etc), get the auctioneer that deals with that to look first.  If portable, take it to them.  Most have a good eye for value and will only take on what they think will sell and get them their commission. 

It was surprising to me how much stuff I thought would be of little to no value (beds, second hand furniture etc, even general cooking utensils) was taken on, and how much it made when sold.  I was advised to shift quite a bit of it by making up mixed lots with one or two good things in with others that were merely of novelty value.

After the good stuff is separated, and the day to day stuff removed, then, and only then, get the house clearance boys in.  They may charge but if you're lucky and there's enough value left, they may take the rest at no charge.  I'm afraid it takes a while and you do have to go through everything - old records, books, collections of magazines, costume jewellery.  Most of it will have become so familiar over the years, you won't see at first what is really there. 

Be warned, the tears will start somewhere down the line, as the realisation of what you are really selling strikes home!

Thank you for that Brian. Sadly its not the first time i,ve been appointed executor (or as i,ve just discovered exucutrix if female) and have had to deal with the disposal of a loved ones personal posessions which as you say is can be a difficult and poignant experience. It is however the first time that there has been property of value to deal with. Most items have been passed on to other members of the family either as keepsakes or heirlooms, but there still remains a considerable amount that will have to go to auction. One example are a pair "Ercol" corner/video units bought in 1995 with the reciept showing £1100 after a cash discount, a far cry from my own mend and make do days, and you will appreciate that I want to get this right and put as much into the estate as possible.

At least you have pointed me in the right direction and I shall let you know how I get on.

• 3 months later...

Just to bring you up to date Brian. As things turned out nothing went to auction. Close family were allowed first choice and the remainder was sold simply through ads in the local papers.

Supprised at the response. Only one advert explaining the circumstances, and brief details was enough to dispose of most of the contents with the remainder going to charity.

One couple came to look at the dining suite and ended up buying most of the rest as well with the other items soon snapped up. All good quality, and difficult to value, as well as dealing with the emotional side of things, but at least its all sorted and done with.

Archived