BBQ recepies

michele

Now the weather is finally changing has anyone any good tips what they prepare on the BBQ....I would love to here and share with everyone.

Have just got back from tescos looking at all this Ainsley Harriot BBQ sauces stuff I would like to use some of them but I was abit worried about the mariating bit ...Anyone tried thse and similar product on theBBQ

The thing about proprietry marinades is they tend to be quite thick and high in sugar. This can result in your meat caramelising quickly. That is, the outside will blacken before the inside is cooked. So if you use this type of marinade make sure your BBQ isn't over hot. You can easily make up your own marinade. Just chuck a few of your favourite spices into a bit of olive oil, add a bit of honey or syrup and toss the meat in it. You can leave it overnight or just a couple of hours. Experiment with anything you have in your larder.......soy sauce, worcester sauce, chilli sauce..anything you like. Chuck it together and see what the results are. Have fun. The main thing to remember is not to have the coals (or gas) too hot.

Vic - 2007-05-19 8:51 PM

The thing about proprietry marinades is they tend to be quite thick and high in sugar. This can result in your meat caramelising quickly. That is, the outside will blacken before the inside is cooked. So if you use this type of marinade make sure your BBQ isn't over hot. You can easily make up your own marinade. Just chuck a few of your favourite spices into a bit of olive oil, add a bit of honey or syrup and toss the meat in it. You can leave it overnight or just a couple of hours. Experiment with anything you have in your larder.......soy sauce, worcester sauce, chilli sauce..anything you like. Chuck it together and see what the results are. Have fun. The main thing to remember is not to have the coals (or gas) too hot.

Spot on Vic and some of the ready-made ones often have a lot of salt too. I like to experiment along the lines you suggest, trouble is when it works especially well I can never reproduce it 'cos I don't make a note of the ingredients and quantities as I'm making the marinade. Life's one long senior moment since I retired..... I'll try and remember some sauces Michele.

Did a couple of beautiful mackerel on the barby last week. Cleaned fish sprinkled with lemon and dill then wrapped in foil. place on the barby for at least 20 minutes (depending on fish size of course) served with fresh leaf salad (little gem lettuce, beetroot leaves, corn salad, lollo rosso, spring onions and radishes) out of the garden and a few lightly boiled new potatoes with a bit of butter on them. A nice glass of chilled chardonnay to rinse it down. Ooh that's made me hungry again. :-D

D.

Michele,

For impromptu barbies when there is no time to marinade or for camp cooking when I don't want to make too much mess on BBQ grill I like to use dry rubs. I season the meat and let it rest while I prepare the salads and veg. Here are a couple that work well:

Pork Rub - great for escalopes/steaks and chops

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 tspn brown sugar

1 tspn paprika

1/2 tspn black pepper

1/2 tspn caraway seeds

1 tspn onion or garlic powder

1/2 tspn ground ginger

Chicken Rub

1 tablespoon orange zest

1 tablespoon lemon zest

1 tspn sugar

1/2 tspn salt

A minimalist rub of equal parts salt, blackpepper and paprika also works well on pork and chicken where just a light flavouring is required.

If you don't mind having to wash a very messy grill then:

Honey Glaze (apply by brush to 1 side at a time in the last few minutes of cooking sausages or pork steaks/chops/escalopes:

2 tspns runny honey

1 tsp Worcester sauce

1/2 tablespoon Dark/Rich Soy sauce

1/2 tablespoon Light Soy sauce

1 tablespoon Hoi-Sin sauce.

Ground black pepper to taste.

Chicken Tikka (don't have BBQ too hot but ensure meat cooked through.)

3 tablespoons Tikka powder (Julian Graves' is good)

3 tablespoons natural yoghurt

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons oil (olive, vegetable or sunflower works)

Mix well, coat chicken breasts which have each been sliced in half horizontally to produce two thin fillets, then cut into two (will look like triangles).

Marinade at least 4 hours in refrigerator. Grill or BBQ for 10-15 minutes turning frequently, serve with salad or rice or use to fill pita bread.

One of my favourite side dishes for barbies but great anytime:

Pepper Salad

2 tablespoons sugar

3 tablespoons vinegar (malt or white as you prefer)

2 tablespoons olive oil (vegetable if you prefer)

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/8 teaspoon salt

Sweet peppers - 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 green

Make the dressing by mixing together the first 5 ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Cut peppers into 1/2 inch squares, add the dressing and fold and stir in VERY gently, but thoroughly, preferably with a wooden or plastic spoon to prevent bruising the peppers.

Cover and chill for 8 hours.

Tip - do this before you go out for the day and even if you decide not to cook and bring in a takeaway instead it will be a perfect accompaniment.

Bob

Try this for one of the simplest last-minute and magnificent fish dishes...

1. Salmon fillets or steaks
2. A jar of low-fat mayonnaise or salad cream in a bowl.
3. Mix any green herbs you enjoy in the mayonaise... coriander, parsley, whatever.  You want it to end up as a green-speckled mush!
4. Using your hands, completely coat the salmon with the mush.  Completely, so it is on thick and you can't see the salmon.
5. Put on a reasonably hot BBQ, being ready to turn it in a couple of minutes.

The mayonnaise mush will be sucked straight into the salmon and it will cook from the inside out.  Turn it once, carefully, and remove when the edges just start to caramelise.  Believe it or not, the taste is fantastic.

Of course, in the last moments throw on some garlic smothered freshly peeled prawns (only need 45 seconds to cook), some lime saturated scallops and if you have the patience to prepare them, some squares of squid soaked in worscester or light soy sauce.

I always like to bbq some sliced eggplant, and mushies drizzled in nut vinegar (only get this in France).  In fact, mushies done any way, including plain, are always great on the barbie.

Oh, and don't forget the wine!  A chablis or unwooded chardonnay, or even a light burgundy would do the trick!

Guy,s cheesrs I think I will print off this page a try on holidays this year in the sun !

Mom how long do you leave the scalops in lime ?

We are talkin fresh scallops and fresh lime ?...

and you did mean a whole jar of maonnaise ? large small medium would like to try that one.

G'day Michele! 

Don't marinade the scallops in lime juice too long, we don't want the scallops overpowered - I tend to "rinse" them in lime juice (bottled or freshly squeezed) and cook soon after.  Scallops are a delicate taste.

Fresh scallops?... always fresh seafood. 
-- Prawns should be green/uncooked - peel and clean them yourselves (that's what other-halves are for, I'm told!!)  by pinching off the head, removing the outer shell and then slicing deeply down the outside of the tail to remove the black waste tubule thingy.  Buy the biggest ones you can.  Smother with garlic and perhaps some chilli.  Leave for an hour.  Cook till the go pink (45 seconds)

-- Scallops - I remove the pink and the small black intestiney thingy, some people don't.  Scallops are just as nice cooked plain, but the lime adds a little "zip"!

-- Squid - remove the head and collaginous structures, clean and get rid of the inky bits, then cut into 2 by 3 inch squares.  Score the shiny side in cris-crosses and sit in some worcestor or similar for a little while.  Garlic and chilli also work well.  But don't overcook.

-- The mayonnaise - only need as much of the jar as you would guess would coat the salmon.  Salmon should stay tasting like salmon, so the green herbs should be something you like, but nothing stodgy.  Coriander is a happy herb and a good option.  Low fat mayonnaise or salad cream does just as well and is better for you.  Try to chose salmon without the fatty marbling, though that's almost impossible in Britain nowadays.

And remember the golden rule with seafood - it keeps cooking long after it's removed from the heat, so never over-cook it.

Good luck!

Hey Guy's sorry to b a pain.

How do you know when Scallops are cooked

Can you eat them raw will you get ill

How long on the whole would you cook them for on a hot BBQ

Then what do you serve them with ? a salad.

Oh bye the way does anyone know how to cook a lobster

Cheers ;-)

Not quite for the BBQ....hey enjoy this...

Po Boys

2 french Baquettes

Sunflower Oil for deep frying

Large Peeled Prawns RAW

6oz of Mayonnaise

2 and a half tabelspoons of milk

1oz of Plain Flour

6oz fresh white Bread Crumbs

1 small crisp green Lettuce

Salt & Cayenne Pepper

Heat the grill to high

Cut each Baguette into 3 and then cut each peice in half legnthways

Pull out some of the soft white bread crumbs to make a very shallow dip in each half. Lay on a baking tray cut side up toast very lightley under the grill remove and set aside.

Heat the oil for deep frying Season the prawns with salt & pepper whisk the mayonnaise up with the milk together in a bowl put the flour in a second bowl and the bread crumbs on a plate.

Dip prawns into the flour ,Mayonnaise and Breadcrumbs so they take on an even coating .Pick them up by their tails drop into the hot oil about 6 at a time fry for one minute until crisp & Golden.

transfer and keep warm whilst the rest are cooking.

Spread the bottom half of the bread with Mayonnaise Lettuce leaves on top . Pile on the cooked prawns Cover with the top and eat straight away ..

What a lovely French Baguette.. ;-)

Vic we often have a Delia but it has a twist of Gordon with Rick !

One guy asked for recepies for a motorhome that went on for ages

everyone contributed it was really good some people even put picures on like Clive who had the biggest Paella you have ever seen.

;-)

I just had to share this one.....

Delia's Way

Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to prevent ice cream drips.

The Real Woman's Way

Just suck the ice cream out of the bottom of the cone, for God's sake. You are probably lying on the couch with your feet up eating it anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delia's Way

To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.

The Real Woman's Way

Buy Smash and keep it in the cupboard for up to a year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delia's Way

When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking tin, use a bit of the dry cake mix instead and there won't be any white mess on the outside of the cake.

The Real Woman's Way

Tesco's' sell cakes. They even do decorated versions.

Delia's Way

If you accidentally over-salt a dish while it's still cooking, drop in a potato slice.

The Real Woman's Way

If you over salt a dish while you are cooking, that's tough s**t. Please recite with me the Real Woman's motto: "I made it and you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes."

Delia's Way

Wrap celery in aluminium foil when putting in the refrigerator and it will keep for weeks

The Real Woman's Way

It could keep forever. Who eats it?

Delia's Way

Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away.

The Real Woman's Way

Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and drop it in 8 ounces of vodka. Drink the vodka. You might still have the headache, but you won't give a s **t.

Delia's Way

If you have a problem opening jars, try using latex dishwashing gloves. They give a non-slip grip that makes opening jars easy.

The Real Woman's Way

Why do I have a man?

Finally the most important tip:

Delia's Way

Freeze leftover wine into ice cubes for future use in casseroles

The Real Woman's Way

Left over wine???? Hello

:D :D

Guest Sally Pepper

For those of you who have kettle-style BBQ's, do try this simple recipe:

Slice a couple of aubergines into 1cm thick sections, salt them to draw out any bitterness, then after five minutes pat them dry with kitchen roll and brush with olive oil.

Get some salami, chorizo or similar spicy sausage - or even parma ham - and pop a slice on each slice of aubergine.

Top with a slice of Jahlsberg, Leerdammer or Gruyere - depending on taste.

Once the BBQ is up to heat, pop the slices on the grill and cover for around four to seven minutes - depending on the temperature.

When the cheese is nicely goo-ey and bubbling, remove and serve. It's a bit messy - but it makes a great starter.

Enjoy!

M

• 1 month later...

Archived