Baltic canal.

jumpstart

jumpstart - 2019-03-01 9:09 PM

Poland is not allowed to build Baltic canal without EU permission. Here we go again !

It would apply to any EU member country and Poland may have already violated environmental laws.

The European Commission, which checks policies and projects by EU states against the bloc’s laws, has raised concerns about the planned canal, some of them environmental.

Poland has not yet started large-scale construction but has been preparing the area, including by felling trees in a way that critics say may violate EU laws on protecting wildlife.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-poland-vistulaspit/eu-says-poland-cannot-build-baltic-canal-without-approval-idUSKCN1QI56C

This is the sort of Big brother interference I object to. You mean Poland’s government can’t look at the impact themselves and deceive? So did the EU give permission for all those unfinished Spanish village constructions, what about that invironmental impact.

jumpstart - 2019-03-02 7:34 AM

This is the sort of Big brother interference I object to. You mean Poland’s government can’t look at the impact themselves and deceive? So did the EU give permission for all those unfinished Spanish village constructions, what about that invironmental impact.

They have, and it's worth bearing in mind many Polish are totally against it, particularly residents on the Vistula Split whose lives it will impact more than anyone else. It's amazingly beautiful with a rich abundance of natural unspoiled habitat and wildlife and a thriving tourist area.

Uninhabited mass property developments, the 'ghost towns' in Spain was fueled by greedy developers taking cheap credit from banks and the resulting subprime mortgage crash. Spanish governments inept handling allowed that, not the EU. Just the same as our own batty government let a bloke loose to fritter away almost £3 billion of taxpayers money on fanciful projects.

More detail here: http://tinyurl.com/htk6pou

It seems the lagoon is freshwater, so its ecology could be impacted by a direct channel to the (salt water) Baltic Sea. As what is termed a "trans-boundary body of water", the approval of Russia is required under international law. So, it isn't quite as simple as the EU stopping Poland doing what it wants within its own territory.

Besides all of which, the EU can only exercise jurisdiction over what Poland can do if EU law/regulation empowers it to do so. At some point, I assume Poland will have signed up to that law/regulation, so why should it not adhere to it?

Brian Kirby - 2019-03-02 3:00 PM

More detail here: http://tinyurl.com/htk6pou

It seems the lagoon is freshwater, so its ecology could be impacted by a direct channel to the (salt water) Baltic Sea. As what is termed a "trans-boundary body of water", the approval of Russia is required under international law. So, it isn't quite as simple as the EU stopping Poland doing what it wants within its own territory.

Besides all of which, the EU can only exercise jurisdiction over what Poland can do if EU law/regulation empowers it to do so. At some point, I assume Poland will have signed up to that law/regulation, so why should it not adhere to it?

Yes and it's really beautiful as are all the beaches on the coastal side. Also quite heavily forested in parts but it is an extremely fragile piece of land with protected nature reserve areas. There's a very good ACSI site at Krynica Morska i stayed on a few years ago with lovely little town and harbour to walk around.

The EC has asked Poland for a report on the environmental impact though as this report shows Russia has spoken with the EU as the Spit is bisected by them.

https://polandin.com/40811161/ec-may-stop-the-vistula-spit-digging

From what I understand Poland isn’t trying to break any Eu laws,just because there are trees and it’s beautiful doesn’t preclude them from building what would be a very short canal with locks. Russian permission isn’t required,anyway at their end it’s open to the Baltic ,so it’s not totally freshwater. Would seem to be a logical project to give Poland its own access to the Baltic.

Archived