Bombardier

John52

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-09-27 5:49 PM

So we shun our EU neighbours for our 'Special Relationship' with America and they slap a 220% import tax on our exports.

Welcome to Brexit Britain :-S

As you pointed out we haven't left yet ;-) .........and Bombardier is a Canadian company so hardly a BREXIT issue *-) .........

So we shun our EU neighbours for our 'Special Relationship' with America and they slap a 220% import tax on our exports.

It's petty minded bickering born out of jealousy from Boeing because Yanks hate competition as it means they have to work harder and they aren't very good at that. The company i used to work for had similar problems from both Boeing and Lockheed Martin so we played them at their own game and BAE is now the worlds third largest defence company, snapping at the heels of Boeing.

What the thick yanks haven't grasped is we have defence contracts with Boeing so if they want to play dirty, we can too.

pelmetman - 2017-09-27 7:35 PM

As you pointed out we haven't left yet ;-) .........and Bombardier is a Canadian company so hardly a BREXIT issue *-) .........

Bombardier employ over 4000 UK employees. You obviously haven't grasped this yet and it may be difficult for you to comprehend but there are many non-UK owned companies operating within the UK employing thousands of people.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-09-27 9:12 PM

Bombardier employ over 4000 UK employees. You obviously haven't grasped this yet and it may be difficult for you to comprehend but there are many non-UK owned companies operating within the UK employing thousands of people.

I'll say again for those who are a couple of rounds short of a full magazine >:-) .........

Its hardly a BREXIT issue *-) .........

pelmetman - 2017-09-27 9:27 PM

I'll say again for those who are a couple of rounds short of a full magazine >:-) .........

You need to get your quoting sorted out before posting comment. *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-09-27 9:57 PM

Hahahaha (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

So you've noticed your talking tosh again :D .......

pelmetman - 2017-09-27 10:02 PM

Idiot.

It's pointless suggesting you engage brain as there obviously isn't one there.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-09-28 12:28 AM

pelmetman - 2017-09-27 10:02 PM

Idiot.

It's pointless suggesting you engage brain as there obviously isn't one there.

Looks like the rest of the magazine is filled with dumb dumbs, if you think BREXIT has had anything to do with Bombardier >:-) ...........

This article has helped me understand what relevance the Bombardier issue has to Brexit. Within it we have this observation-

“Allie Renison, head of EU and trade policy for the Institute of Directors, told The Daily Telegraph the battle could be a “taste of things to come” when Britain takes back responsibility for trade relations post-Brexit.

“It’s a little unhelpful news at the moment given the US is meant to be our first port of call for trade,” she said.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/09/27/unions-fear-british-jobs-bombardier-hit-massive-us-tariffs-subsidy/

And this article is particularly helpful in explaining our weakened negotiating position post Brexit particularly with the US

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/27/brexiters-transatlantic-trade-bombardier-eu-britain

Veronica

Violet1956 - 2017-09-28 10:06 AM

This article has helped me understand what relevance the Bombardier issue has to Brexit. Within it we have this observation-

“Allie Renison, head of EU and trade policy for the Institute of Directors, told The Daily Telegraph the battle could be a “taste of things to come” when Britain takes back responsibility for trade relations post-Brexit.

“It’s a little unhelpful news at the moment given the US is meant to be our first port of call for trade,” she said.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/09/27/unions-fear-british-jobs-bombardier-hit-massive-us-tariffs-subsidy/

And this article is particularly helpful in explaining our weakened negotiating position post Brexit particularly with the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/27/brexiters-transatlantic-trade-bombardier-eu-britain

Veronica

Precisely, but don't expect mad hatter pelmet to comprehend any of that......there is too much writing and only one picture. The "little Englander" attitude of "hardly a Brexit issue" should be enough for anyone to see he's not the faintest clue to what this is about or what's at stake.

The punitive 220% tariff is sending out very strong signals to UK that we cannot rely on the US as a post Brexit trading partner, we are dealing with the Devil and should never trust them. Then we had sycophantic idiots like Gove bowing before Trumpton, begging bowl in hand naively asking, "and now we are at the front of the queue?" And what was the reply? "Err, i think you guys are doing really well, really well". Oh brother! *-)

Boeing don't like competition and the yanks have always been poor losers....just look at the dummy chucking and feet stomping fuss they made over Concorde. Bottom line was they were seething with jealousy.

Interestingly Bombardier won a £900 million contract for it's train construction branch in UK earlier this year beating off a German rival. Did Germany start dummy chucking and kicking up a silly fuss? No....they went back to work and got on with the job because Germans by nature are a proud nation and prepared to work hard. Something which is anathema to most Americans.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jun/20/bombardier-wins-900m-south-west-trains-deal

Guest pelmetman

And this article is particularly helpful in explaining our weakened negotiating position post Brexit particularly with the US

Veronica

"Allie Renison, head of EU and trade policy for the Institute of Directors" .........

Well what else would you expect a professional Remoaner to say? *-) .........

Funny how the UK economy continues to defy them though :D ..........Whether that'll be the case if Corbyn gained power is debatable (lol) .........

Guest pelmetman
starvin marvin - 2017-09-28 11:22 AM

John52 - 2017-09-28 7:24 AM

Like arguing with the Mad Hatter :D

John, I'm sure you've heard the expression, "never argue with a police officer or a (madman, aka a drunk). Alcohol addles the brain, and the proof, excuse the pun, is on this forum....

Or alternatively put them in charge of the Labour party >:-) ...........

pelmetman - 2017-09-28 4:31 PM

Veronica

"Allie Renison, head of EU and trade policy for the Institute of Directors" .........

Funny how the UK economy continues to defy them though :D ..........Whether that'll be the case if Corbyn gained power is debatable (lol) .........

Have you evidence that she is a "remoaner" Dave? I can't find anything on't t'internet that suggests she is plugging a particular case for remaining in the EU. I don't pretend to have any special expertise on the complexities of international trade but at least I am prepared to research and take account of the views of people who have a far greater knowledge than I have.

Veronica

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2017-09-28 5:52 PM

Veronica

Have you evidence that she is a "remoaner" Dave? I can't find anything on't t'internet that suggests she is plugging a particular case for remaining in the EU. I don't pretend to have any special expertise on the complexities of international trade but at least I am prepared to research and take account of the views of people who have a far greater knowledge than I have.

Veronica

I accept that in theory the IOD is staying impartial ;-) .........but as 60% of their members voted to stay, I can't imagine that bias has not tainted the views of their nominated EU spokesperson :-| ........

Besides how can the Bombardier row be linked to BREXIT? *-) ..........Is this due to BREXIT? >:-) .......

https://euobserver.com/foreign/138672

pelmetman - 2017-09-28 6:38 PM

Veronica

Veronica

I accept that in theory the IOD is staying impartial ;-) .........but as 60% of their members voted to stay, I can't imagine that bias has not tainted the views of their nominated EU spokesperson :-| ........

Besides how can the Bombardier row be linked to BREXIT? *-) ..........Is this due to BREXIT? >:-) .......

I don't think anyone is saying the Bombardier row is due to Brexit Dave. From my limited perspective, given that I am not economist of any note - grade C at A level in Economics not being my finest hour - there is some cause to question the optimism that was fed to voters before the referendum which encouraged people to believe that our freedom to trade outside the EU was some kind of panacea for any detriment we might suffer.

Veronica

Whether the Bombadier incident is connected to Brexit matters not, but it is a stark warning that once free from the considerable protective weight of the combined EU nations, the UK will not find the US quite so friendly as we once thought they were.

We are only allies of the US whilst it suits the US to be seen to have friends but as soon as it no longer suits the US I suspect that we will no longer have to endure the one sided special relationship.

Maybe we should stop buying US made goods, particularly weapons, and take a few of them apart so we can build and develop our own - it seems to have worked for other nations?

Maybe if successive governments had invested in what was once world class UK avionics, aircraft and armaments industries instead of taking the soft option of buying US defence and investing our money in the ever grateful US we would be telling Mr Trump to Trump off rather than begging for mercy.

Some of us have always known that the US, like Russia, does nothing to help anyone unless it can see a longer term benefit for itself - like rebuilding the countries it helps to destroy, but often only when they have oil or mineral reserves or huge buying power for US or Russian goods..

The trading world is more than the US and China and maybe we should be spreading the risk to ourselves by talking to as many other countries as want to talk to us about trade?

Violet1956 - 2017-09-28 7:18 PM

pelmetman - 2017-09-28 6:38 PM

Veronica

Veronica

I don't think anyone is saying the Bombardier row is due to Brexit Dave. From my limited perspective, given that I am not economist of any note - grade C at A level in Economics not being my finest hour - there is some cause to question the optimism that was fed to voters before the referendum which encouraged people to believe that our freedom to trade outside the EU was some kind of panacea for any detriment we might suffer.

Veronica

Miss Renison holds a Masters degree in Political Economics so along with a glowing CV i reckon she knows what she's talking about.....certainly lots more credibility and knowledge than a part time bus driver, some time sailor boy and ex-pelmet knocker up.

It's useless bothering to knock on wood......not even one of these would drive any sense in.

Nutcracker.jpg.d22410f0ae59fe0e404a8e3d0b85dc2b.jpg

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2017-09-28 8:23 PM

We are only allies of the US whilst it suits the US to be seen to have friends but as soon as it no longer suits the US I suspect that we will no longer have to endure the one sided special relationship.

You could replace US with EU ;-) ........After all we are clearly just a EU meal ticket *-) ..........

Which is why the UK should leave and stand on its own rather than be the Billy No Mates of Europe B-) ......

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-09-28 8:53 PM

Miss Renison holds a Masters degree in Political Economics so along with a glowing CV

Oh she's another "Expert" with a degree in guessing....... they've done well lately haven't they? (lol) .......

pelmetman - 2017-09-29 8:20 AM

Miss Renison holds a Masters degree in Political Economics so along with a glowing CV

Oh she's another "Expert" with a degree in guessing....... they've done well lately haven't they? (lol) .......

It's a tradition on this forum to quote from people you agree with.

Some people quote " experts " - some people quote an article from their favourite newspaper.

Not much point in doing it of course as it won't change anyone elses opinion - but useful when trying to score points.

;-)

pelmetman - 2017-09-29 8:16 AM

You could replace US with EU ;-) ........After all we are clearly just a EU meal ticket *-) ..........

Which is why the UK should leave and stand on its own rather than be the Billy No Mates of Europe B-) ......

But at least with the EU we get some sort of 'strength in numbers' as part of the flock whereas with the US we are just another walnut for them to control and bring into alignment as another potential state - thinking of which - we could do worse?

No guessing.....her degree is a Masters in Politics and she works with politicians which gives her a wide field of experience.

What's yours?

malc d - 2017-09-29 10:15 AM

It's a tradition on this forum to quote from people you agree with.

Some people quote " experts " - some people quote an article from their favourite newspaper.

Not much point in doing it of course as it won't change anyone elses opinion - but useful when trying to score points.

;-)

Not necessarily Malc as i don't agree with everything she says but i do respect her intellect and broad field of knowledge in politic. If Pelmet took the time to read up a bit more on the person he's so disparaging about, he would find some things that would chime his bell, but there are a lot of words with no pictures, drawings, 'edgy' soundbites or Muslim hate, so that's never going to happen.

Tracker - 2017-09-29 10:36 AM

pelmetman - 2017-09-29 8:16 AM

But at least with the EU we get some sort of 'strength in numbers' as part of the flock whereas with the US we are just another walnut for them to control and bring into alignment as another potential state - thinking of which - we could do worse?

United we stand, divided we fall.......ironically first written by an American in 1768.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-09-29 3:33 PM

No guessing.....her degree is a Masters in Politics and she works with politicians which gives her a wide field of experience.

What's yours?.

Nearly 60 years in the university of life ;-) ..........How about you Bullet? :D ........

Archived