Boro

howie

Despite strong competition from Humberside and Greater Manchester, Middlesbrough has been awarded the title of "Worst place to live Britain".

Would any Teesiders care to comment, and what exactly is the criteria expected to enter for this prodigious award.

Didn't watch the C4 programme but there has been some controversy here because they named Middlesbrough as the worst place to live.

Like many large towns, Middlesbrough has good and bad areas. We are OK living in the suburb of Acklam, very close to the Borough border - and to the town's two best features, the A19 and A66 outbound :D (lol) - but other people aren't so lucky.

The council, led by elected mayor Ray Mallon - see article Here - glosses over any faults, pointing to features like its new multi-million pound arts centre, but completely ignores the fact that many people living on the former council estates suffer apalling anti-social behaviour from some of their neighbours.

The council also talks about the decrease in unemployment over recent years but fails to acknowledge that many of the new jobs created are part-time ones where people receive the minimum wage. They talk about the schools building problem - but that is all future promises with no guarantees of success. They say that all the town's shopping malls have been revamped but fail to mention that a large proportion of the retail units are empty.

There is a great deal of difference between the quality of life enjoyed by those who have a decent job/pension and are able to live in one of the more desirable suburbs and those who are unemployed/low paid and live in run down areas.

I'm not at all surprised that Edinburgh was named best place to live. We were there twice last year and very impressed with the cleanliness, public transport and general ambience of the place. We had intended going back this year but Sod's Law got in the way - now intend to go next year.

Graham

After watching the programme for about 15 minutes we gave up .. having it as a 'live' show was absolutly awful. I like to watch Kirstie and Phil normally in their various location programmes, but they should stick to what they do best, and that's not doing live shows.

Mel B - 2007-10-20 7:51 PM

After watching the programme for about 15 minutes we gave up .. having it as a 'live' show was absolutly awful. I like to watch Kirstie and Phil normally in their various location programmes, but they should stick to what they do best, and that's not doing live shows.

Mel, why did you use the word "live" in front of "shows"? *-)

Graham

Mel B - 2007-10-20 7:42 PM

For a start Howie, getting the county names right would be a good start for them!!! >:-)

No need to be so picky Melanie. I,m sure most people associate "Humberside" with the City of Hull and the surrounding areas.

Graham seems to point the finger of blame at local government, but i,m sure other factors must come into play here and just trying to figure out how Middlesbrough ends up being voted worst place to live in Britain.

howie - 2007-10-21 12:33 AM

Graham seems to point the finger of blame at local government, but i,m sure other factors must come into play here and just trying to figure out how Middlesbrough ends up being voted worst place to live in Britain.

It's not purely local government, central government has to take its share of the blame. The problem with the council in Middlesbrough is that they talk a good job and paper over the cracks but shy away from solving the root causes of problems.

In the 1960s and 1970s, when the town suffered from the problems of slum housing, the council built green field estates and bulldozed the worst parts of the town centre, ignoring the fact that the local population wanted the bulldozed areas to have new houses built on them. Result was the heart was ripped out of communities which were still relatively young as the town had only existed for about 100 years.

A few years ago, when the council still owned the housing stock, properties were difficult to let on one particular estate because of drug barons intimidating new tenants. The council could have joined forces with the police to root out the problem tenants but didn't. Instead they got rid of them by demolishing the whole estate, mostly perfectly good houses.

Central government Right To Buy policy did not let councils invest the money gained in maintaining the remaining stock. Result one, massive amounts needed to bring housing up to scratch and many houses boarded up because they became unfit. Result two, increase in demand for cheap private rented accommodation - house prices rise because of absentee landlords buying to rent. Absentee landlords don't bother what their tenants get up to so long as the rent gets paid by council/DSS/whoever - what's left of older housing areas start to get run down.

Because Middlesbrough was founded on heavy industry it has suffered from the general industrial decline. Central and local government have both failed to adequately replace those industries. Many of the new jobs created in Middlesbrouhg are part time, low skilled and low paid. Many skilled people work away from home (Auf Wiedersehen Pet, though set on Tyneside, was actually based on the experience of Middlesbrough workers) only returning to their families for a weekend once a fortnight or once a month. That also encourages young people who do gain top qualifications to move away and take their skills with them. Middlesbrough has the University of Teesside and the town centre is now filled with bars which cater for the influx of students into accommodation which has encroached more and more on remaining town centre housing areas - see story from earlier this week Here - but most of those students don't stay when they finish their courses, they take their skills elsewhere.

There are other factors, including attitudes to health and education matters, which probably stem from the fact that Middlesbrough did not exist as more than a hamlet until about 175 years ago. The massive rise in population came about largely as a result of immigration of unskilled families with relatively low aspirations. As mentioned above, after only 3 or 4 generations of them building their communities the heart was ripped out of those communities by the local council and that void will take many years to be filled.

Graham

Thanks Graham. Had a look at that website you gave and it seems that C4 came to this conclusion with data supplied on "high crime levels, serious drug and health issues and poor education results. Your friend Mayor Mallon responds by calling this report "nothing more than a brutal, unjustifiable and unacceptable assault on this town.

Either way you look at it, I do think its rather unfair to single out one place with this title. There are plenty of other towns and cities that could be considered as bad, or even worse in my opinion, and any regeneration or attempt at attracting outside investment will now prove to be even more difficult. Another cheap and dubious way of raising viewing figures perhaps.

howie - 2007-10-21 10:21 AM

Thanks Graham. Had a look at that website you gave and it seems that C4 came to this conclusion with data supplied on "high crime levels, serious drug and health issues and poor education results. Your friend Mayor Mallon responds by calling this report "nothing more than a brutal, unjustifiable and unacceptable assault on this town.

Either way you look at it, I do think its rather unfair to single out one place with this title. There are plenty of other towns and cities that could be considered as bad, or even worse in my opinion, and any regeneration or attempt at attracting outside investment will now prove to be even more difficult. Another cheap and dubious way of raising viewing figures perhaps.

As we all know, there are lies, damned lies and statistics :-D

What is more annoying to me, howver, is the council's reaction rather than the programme. Instead of facing up to the fact that the town has serious problems in some areas they simply gloss over them. As a result we have a council portrayal which is every bit as inaccurate (if not more) than that given by the programme.

Perhaps the real tragedy is that this comes as no surprise :-(

Graham

Agree with Mel about the "live" show, both presenters were awful.

Spent a good few years working in Middlesbrough on and off and although there were places that I wouldn't venture after dark (like most other cities in the UK), the people were always very friendly and their work ethic was excellent.

Guest Tracker

The problem never is the majority of good, kind, decent, honest, and nice people - the problem is with the dross and dregs of society that prey on others.

It just seems that some towns have a greater proportion of the latter and that alone detracts from their viability as a good place in which to live.

howie - 2007-10-21 12:33 AM

For a start Howie, getting the county names right would be a good start for them!!! >:-)

No need to be so picky Melanie. I,m sure most people associate "Humberside" with the City of Hull and the surrounding areas.

Howie, Humberside doesn't exist anymore, it hasn't for over a decade! Remember my original 'location' .... East Yorkshire NOT Humberside!!!

Even though we got rid of Humberside it's infuriating to find it still referred to as our 'county' especially when you ask for insurance quotes, fill in forms on the internet etc, East Yorkshire rarely exists on them. Grrrrr .... don't get me started ........ >:-)

Guest Tracker

A bit like Dyfed and Pembrokeshire - Dyfed (pronounced Dove-ed) has not existed for ten years but does still exist on may forms and internet sites.

Mind you it is still a good place to live in my view whatever you call it!

I've been reminded today that elected mayor Ray Mallon, who was so vociferous against the C4 programme, doesn't actually live anywhere within the Borough of Middlesbrough, nor even in Yorkshire.

According to his own publicity leaflet from the elections earlier this year he actually lives in the up market village of Middleton St George in County Durham, some 13 or 14 miles from Middlesbrough.

Graham

GJH - 2007-10-21 6:04 PM

I've been reminded today that elected mayor Ray Mallon, who was so vociferous against the C4 programme, doesn't actually live anywhere within the Borough of Middlesbrough, nor even in Yorkshire.

According to his own publicity leaflet from the elections earlier this year he actually lives in the up market village of Middleton St George in County Durham, some 13 or 14 miles from Middlesbrough.

Graham

Good old County Durham - Land of the Prince Bishops and the newest top county cricketing side :D :D :D :D

On the positive side - the 'boro did produce Chris Rea, and within a very short time you can be in the Cleveland Hills, North York Moors, excellent beaches and seaside villages and country villages, Yorkshire Dales, Durham Dales, Pennines

B-)

Howie, Humberside doesn't exist anymore, it hasn't for over a decade! Remember my original 'location' .... East Yorkshire NOT Humberside!!!

Even though we got rid of Humberside it's infuriating to find it still referred to as our 'county' especially when you ask for insurance quotes, fill in forms on the internet etc, East Yorkshire rarely exists on them. Grrrrr .... don't get me started ........ >:-)

Well Mel, lets hope you never have to call on the services of Humberside Police, Humberside Fire Services, use Humberside Airport, listen in to BBC Humberside radio or in your case Humberside Probation Services as it seems none of these actually exist and are only a figment of my imagination.

Sorry about that Graham, but your point about Mayor Mallon is typical. Quite happy to promote and build cheap houses for the masses, but not the sort of place they wish have as their home address thank you.

Sorry Howie but I'm with Mel on this, can't understand why the old counties are ignored. East Riding often seems to exist in the imagination, TV and Radio ignore its existence, but we're expected to pay through the nose for services allegedly supplied by Humberside or EY and LINCOLNSHIRE this that and the other.

The ancient counties - Rutland, [was wiped out of existence] Durham was savagely reduced, Lancashire/Yorkshire border changed, Lake District Lancs now in Cumbria, Westmoreland another lovely old county stuck together with Cumberland, Yorkshire Ridings wiped out by a bunch of Tory Southerners.

rant rant rant rant

I know other ancient borders and names were messed with - but these are the ones that matter to me!

B-)

Guest Tracker
GJH - 2007-10-21 6:04 PM

Graham

Just goes to prove that Ray Mallon is no fool I reckon!

twooks - 2007-10-21 6:08 PM

within a very short time you can be in the Cleveland Hills, North York Moors, excellent beaches and seaside villages and country villages, Yorkshire Dales, Durham Dales, Pennines

B-)

Exactly why I said the two best features of Middlesbrough are the A66 and A19 outbound :-D

howie - 2007-10-21 6:25 PM

Sorry about that Graham, but your point about Mayor Mallon is typical. Quite happy to promote and build cheap houses for the masses, but not the sort of place they wish have as their home address thank you.

Reminds me of my old school (which happened to be a grammar school at the time). The headmaster was so proud of the way in which he ran the school that he sent his own son to Manchester Grammar.

Graham

Mel

The problem arises because we still have HUMBERSIDE Police & it appears the conclusions drawn by the programme reflect the figures submitted bt the Police Authorities so Hull, East yorkshire. North East Lincolnshire & North Lincolnshire, all get tarred with the same brush.

Even the Postal Authorities refuse to recognise Humberside officially no longer exists.

howie - 2007-10-21 6:25 PM

Well Mel, lets hope you never have to call on the services of Humberside Police, Humberside Fire Services, use Humberside Airport, listen in to BBC Humberside radio or in your case Humberside Probation Services as it seems none of these actually exist and are only a figment of my imagination.

Howie, the probelm is that we are now officially back to the East Riding of Yorkshire (or East Yorkshire for short), Humberside as a county was abolished many moons ago. The reason we still have organisations names as such is because for some it would cost too much to change. The Humberside Police were going to be renamed but it would've cost millions of pounds to change all the uniforms, cars, stationery, etc, etc so they actually saw sense and decided to stay as the Humberside Police.:-D

Humberside Airport (where my current boss used to work and played a major role in the development of it) again has stuck with the name for operational reasons, I assume this is similar for the probation service. As for Radio Humberside, I know it's some local radio station but as it's so boring most of the time I don't think it really matters what it is called! 8-)

I think one of the difficulties for organisations in them changing names from Humberside to whatever is that as they 'work' both sides of the River Humber it's difficult to think of a suitable name. For example, Radio East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire doesn't quite sound right. It still doesn't make it right though for the correct county name to be continually 'ignored'.

I'm an ERY girl and always will be!!! (lol)

Calm down girls. May I remind you that we are asking why Middlesbrough was labeled the worst place in Britain, and not a platform for you to force your views on the rest of us re. Humberside. If you feel there are injustices, percieved or otherwise, then why not dedicate a new thread on the subject where you can air your complaints in full.

Archived