Bowt time

antony1969

antony1969 - 2017-07-02 4:49 PM

Well the only ones that matter are those that go out to sea to bring in the catch and from what I have seen they seem happy enough with the arrangement but you guys'll know best of course

Depends if you eat fish. I eat anything that swims, flies, walks or crawls, I know that's unusual amongst Brits. I must be almost European.

starvin marvin - 2017-07-03 8:24 PM

Well the only ones that matter are those that go out to sea to bring in the catch and from what I have seen they seem happy enough with the arrangement but you guys'll know best of course

Depends if you eat fish. I eat anything that swims, flies, walks or crawls, I know that's unusual amongst Brits. I must be almost European.

You'd enjoy the Baltics then as their Restaurants have a wide range of fresh fish dishes, particularly in Estonia and Latvia.

Personally i've always had the utmost respect for professional Trawler men as it's undoubtedly one of the most dangerous jobs and bloody damned hard work......not to mention unpredictable regarding pay too. If the catch is good then the pay will be, but it's not always good.

I went up to Peterhead a couple of years ago and was talking to a Trawler owner whose boat had just arrived back in port with a good catch. He was telling me most Trawlers are crewed by East Europeans as few locals will do the graft. He also had a young Polish lad who had crewed with him a few years now studying for his Skippers certificate which will qualify him to take charge of a Trawler. Seemed very driven...his ultimate goal was to buy his own Trawler.

It is hard and dangerous work. Maybe now they won't have to go so far out, as the Spanish and others will have to keep out . More work for the fisheries patrol boats, me thinks. And maybe the Royal navy

PJay

Prolly the first time I've agreed with you but I love the fruits of the sea too ... Maldives best fish I've had ... I don't know where you get eating sea catch in Britain is unusual ... Supermarkets now have great fresh selection as well as the fishmonger shops ... If we have a barbie then more often than not I have a nice sea bream or trout ... Happy 4th July to everyone anyway

antony1969 - 2017-07-04 11:44 AM

Prolly the first time I've agreed with you but I love the fruits of the sea too ... Maldives best fish I've had ... I don't know where you get eating sea catch in Britain is unusual ... Supermarkets now have great fresh selection as well as the fishmonger shops ... If we have a barbie then more often than not I have a nice sea bream or trout ...

Can't beat fresh caught trout cooked either pan or grill within hours of catching. Used to go fly fishing years ago and once you've tasted trout as fresh as that you won't buy Supermarket trout again!

Happy 4th July to everyone anyway.

Doubt any Yanks frequent this forum. (lol)

Guest pelmetman

Bring back the Cod Wars I say >:-) ........,,,

Maybe I'm just being shellfish :D .......

• 4 weeks later...

Archived