Brexit. Rules of Origin

Barryd999

Passed on from another forum.

Wonder if this will be another one to brush under the Brexit carpet until its all too late and it rears its ugly head and finishes off hundreds of thousands of UK Exporters.

Most people hope there will be a Free trade agreement with the EU but even if there is it turns out its not that simple (Surprise surprise)

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/economics-and-finance/rules-of-origin-the-biggest-brexit-problem-you-didnt-know-about

!When Britain leaves, it will collide with international trade law. Regulation on health and safety, quotas and so on will transform into a bureaucratic nightmare. One aspect currently sending shivers down the spines of some in business—one you may not have heard of—is rules of origin. As Article 50 ticks down the issue is increasingly pressing."

“Rules of origin are going to be one post-Brexit additional cost to business that no amount of innovative thinking or new and unusual technology can stave off,” Sam Lowe, a trade expert at the Centre for European Reform told me. The CBI agrees. “For the 135,000 businesses who currently only export to the EU,” it writes in a new report, rules of origin will “be a huge and unprecedented administrative challenge.

The reality is that Britain could strike a free trade deal with Europe and yet still face hefty tariffs on some of its most important exports. Lowe confirmed: “Even if the UK enters into a free trade agreement removing tariffs on goods—which seems likely—some UK exporters may struggle to qualify for it due to the product they are selling having insufficient local, UK, content.” This isn’t because the system will have broken down in some way, but because of how global trade works. But it’s hardly the vision sold by the “Leave” campaign."

And it applies to food as well it seems.

https://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Article/2018/03/16/EU-exit-ingredients-rules-could-hit-exports?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=RSS

No doubt this will all be dismissed as "Remoaner" Clap trap and it will all be alright on the day just like the NI Border, Customs chaos and the ever growing list that has all been swept under the now very lumpy carpet.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tracker - 2018-03-16 5:11 PM

Interesting point Barry. but in the true interest of propagating pointless beaurocracy will the same rules not be made to apply to EU firms exporting to the UK thus leveling the playing field?

I dunno Rich but if this next report is true then the answer is a flat no and the Brexiteers are going to love this one. I had to check the date to make sure it wasnt April 1.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/theresa-may-government-planning-open-borders-in-no-deal-brexit-2018-3

Remind me again. Wasnt Brexit all about taking back control of our borders and immigration etc.?

Barryd999 - 2018-03-16 5:28 PM

Tracker - 2018-03-16 5:11 PM

Interesting point Barry. but in the true interest of propagating pointless beaurocracy will the same rules not be made to apply to EU firms exporting to the UK thus leveling the playing field?

I dunno Rich but if this next report is true then the answer is a flat no and the Brexiteers are going to love this one. I had to check the date to make sure it wasnt April 1.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/theresa-may-government-planning-open-borders-in-no-deal-brexit-2018-3

Remind me again. Wasnt Brexit all about taking back control of our borders and immigration etc.?

Oh dear! And look what else they "promised".....to give the NHS 'millions more every week'. Hhmm......that never materialised either! *-)

1071682997_BoJoBull.jpg.0a8ffcad1e8aae4c26e876d53fc18180.jpg

Well Antony's response is at least a response as there have been siltch across all the forums, including the mighty Digital Spy and even Question time last night where Chris Grayling announced there would be no border checks at Dover! Odd really as being a third country International law requires them but perhaps he doesnt know.

So far not a single Brexiteer response anywhere to what I would have thought would have been a bit of a sledge hammer blow and you would be outraged. In that poster above it says Taking back control of our borders on the Brexit tick list. Well according to Chris and that report we are just going to open them full stop. That doesnt sound like something very Brexity to me. IT sounds like a one way flow of people, goods and god knows what else while the UK exporters suffer under Tariffs and Rules of Origin regulations.

Oh dear.

Sorry if you find it boring Antony but I thought you would want to know your being betrayed.

I am inclined to feel that you are again making a drama out of a crisis Barry in your thinly veiled remoaner role.

Negotiations are far from complete so let's not panic yet shall we?

And if your scenario of we're all doomed is proven right you can then say - see told you so!

Barryd999 - 2018-03-16 7:17 PM

Well Antony's response is at least a response as there have been siltch across all the forums, including the mighty Digital Spy and even Question time last night where Chris Grayling announced there would be no border checks at Dover! Odd really as being a third country International law requires them but perhaps he doesnt know.

So far not a single Brexiteer response anywhere to what I would have thought would have been a bit of a sledge hammer blow and you would be outraged. In that poster above it says Taking back control of our borders on the Brexit tick list. Well according to Chris and that report we are just going to open them full stop. That doesnt sound like something very Brexity to me. IT sounds like a one way flow of people, goods and god knows what else while the UK exporters suffer under Tariffs and Rules of Origin regulations.

Oh dear.

Sorry if you find it boring Antony but I thought you would want to know your being betrayed.

The Brexit boys 'response' is to go into hibernation until March 29th next year when they expect to wake up in Wonka Land where everlasting magic money trees sprout in abundance. ;-)

Bulletguy - 2018-03-16 8:10 PM

The Brexit boys 'response' is to go into hibernation until March 29th next year when they expect to wake up in Wonka Land where everlasting magic money trees sprout in abundance.

As opposed to JC who is already in Wonka land busy watering his own lonley loan money tree - ooops sorry mis splelt only lone.

Tracker - 2018-03-16 8:09 PM

I am inclined to feel that you are again making a drama out of a crisis Barry in your thinly veiled remoaner role.

Negotiations are far from complete so let's not panic yet shall we?

And if your scenario of we're all doomed is proven right you can then say - see told you so!

The point is Rich, I think the public should take an interest rather than bury their heads in the sand praying that Brexit no matter what will go ahead when every day there is more facts being revealed that show just how impossible it is without great damage being caused. Its no good waiting until its all over to say I told you so.

Its not a drama out of a crisis its many dramas and the list is growing. Who knew about Rules of Origin and how they will totally disadvantage exporters when we voted? Even more worrying who knew the governments reaction to the impossible dilemma of customs checks and expanding our ports would be just to suggest an open border policy?

You wait and see if you like but I would rather the whole thing got binned.

Most of the nation spent 40 years with their head in the sand whilst the EU was allowed to take us in a direction that many of us would rather not be going and all the while charging us a fortune for the pleasure, so is it any wonder that when DC gave people an opportunity for an opt out so many said thanks DC and choose to take it.

Tracker - 2018-03-16 10:22 PM

Most of the nation spent 40 years with their head in the sand whilst the EU was allowed to take us in a direction that many of us would rather not be going and all the while charging us a fortune for the pleasure, so is it any wonder that when DC gave people an opportunity for an opt out so many said thanks DC and choose to take it.

No its not surprising given how the public have been slowly drip fed anti EU rubbish from the orchestrators of Brexit in the media for years. Why Cameron did not see that is beyond most of us. We could go into the ins and outs including how it was always convenient for the government to blame the EU, or how actually our membership is good value for not much money etc but we have done all that time after time.

Whats important now is that people realise no matter what they thought of the EU that life outside it is going to be worse, much worse. Of course people wont know that at this rate until its too late if they dont take their heads out of the sand or take an interest.

People voted for change and were promised the earth. How very attractive. Only a fool thats maintained an interest would now buy that any of the promises will come to fruition but they are either in denial or have lost interest. Its crazy.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-03-16 5:03 PM

No doubt this will all be dismissed as "Remoaner" Clap trap and it will all be alright on the day just like the NI Border, Customs chaos and the ever growing list that has all been swept under the now very lumpy carpet.

Yep its Clap trap ;-) ........How do the other 165 countries who are not part of the EU manage? >:-) .......

The only lumps under the Brexit carpet are from Remoaner male bovines :D .......

Bulletguy - 2018-03-16 8:10 PM

Oh dear.

The Brexit boys 'response' is to go into hibernation until March 29th next year when they expect to wake up in Wonka Land where everlasting magic money trees sprout in abundance. ;-)

Wonka Land guna love it ... You.live somewhere now that sounds like Wonka Land don't ya ??? ... Does that mean everyone who lives there are Wonkas or is it just you ??? ... I'm going as Willy Wonka to a fancy dress soon

Oh dear.

No need to apologise but yes your correct it is boring ... Very boring but it keeps you and your boyfriend entertained

Remoaners seem to be under the illusion that Brexiteers don't care what happens to the UK once we leave the EU and that is the way they some of them repeatedly project their point of view.

Brexiteers might similarly argue that Remoaners are unpatriotic because they insist we are better off abdicating our national identity by remaining in the club.

Somewhere between the two may lie the truth and I am sure I am not alone in getting bored with the continual slagging off and nitty picky political point scoring.

I'm with you Richard ... Bored of the we know best , you know nothing mentality of the losers ... Bet its fun over the dinner table at their houses if they aren't telling us to accept more refugees into our areas their telling us how Brexit is going to pan out ... Oh crystal ball what do you see ???

Tracker - 2018-03-17 9:42 AM

Remoaners seem to be under the illusion that Brexiteers don't care what happens to the UK once we leave the EU and that is the way they some of them repeatedly project their point of view.

Brexiteers might similarly argue that Remoaners are unpatriotic because they insist we are better off abdicating our national identity by remaining in the club.

Somewhere between the two may lie the truth and I am sure I am not alone in getting bored with the continual slagging off and nitty picky political point scoring.

I dont think you can accuse me lately at least of slagging off or point scoring, just trying to debate serious issues and point out the raft of chaos that Brexit is going to cause to the detriment of all of us.

Brexiteers are calling us boring or other such guff because they simply do not want to hear the truth. It spoils their wonderful victory and its just spiteful people coming up with REAL reasons why Brexit wont work.

Perhaps its them that are the unpatriotic ones though as if we didnt give a sh1t about our country why would we care so much about you ruining it? Do you think the French, Germans, Dutch and all the other EU countries want to lose their national identity by "Staying in the club"? Do you think they are less proud or patriotic than us? Of course they are not! They are just like us, proud of their heritage, history (Well perhaps not all of German history :D ) and I am sure they have no intention of giving up any of that and why should they. They have no intention of leaving though..

pelmetman - 2018-03-17 7:53 AM

Barryd999 - 2018-03-16 5:03 PM

Yep its Clap trap ;-) ........How do the other 165 countries who are not part of the EU manage? >:-) .......

The only lumps under the Brexit carpet are from Remoaner male bovines :D .......

Thems the rules Dave. The other countries will be abiding by them but do they have half of their trade with the EU bloc? Do they have 135000 export businesses whos market is purely the EU?

Brexiteers were under the impression that somehow it would be different for us because its "us". They need us more than we need them. Hows that working out so far?

Barryd999 - 2018-03-17 9:59 AM

Tracker - 2018-03-17 9:42 AM

I dont think you can accuse me lately at least of slagging off or point scoring, just trying to debate serious issues and point out the raft of chaos that Brexit is going to cause to the detriment of all of us.

Brexiteers are calling us boring or other such guff because they simply do not want to hear the truth. It spoils their wonderful victory and its just spiteful people coming up with REAL reasons why Brexit wont work.

Perhaps its them that are the unpatriotic ones though as if we didnt give a sh1t about our country why would we care so much about you ruining it? Do you think the French, Germans, Dutch and all the other EU countries want to lose their national identity by "Staying in the club"? Do you think they are less proud or patriotic than us? Of course they are not! They are just like us, proud of their heritage, history (Well perhaps not all of German history :D ) and I am sure they have no intention of giving up any of that and why should they. They have no intention of leaving though..

Nope ... It's just boring!

Do you think that repeatedly telling me I am boring Antony will somehow make me think. "Oh Antony is right, Im boring so ill not mention Brexit ever again"? (lol)

You will thank me eventually for educating you in why Brexit is bad for you and all of us. Its just going to take a bit longer than I thought but eventually you will wake up as will the rest of them hopefully and realise that you ticked the wrong box. (^)

Do you think the French, Germans, Dutch and all the other EU countries want to lose their national identity by "Staying in the club"? Do you think they are less proud or patriotic than us? Of course they are not! They are just like us, proud of their heritage, history (Well perhaps not all of German history :D ) and I am sure they have no intention of giving up any of that and why should they. They have no intention of leaving though..

There does seem to be a lot of anti EU feeling in those countries Barry, which incidentally are also net contributors, it's just that nobody has yet given them the chance to voting on an opt in or out.

It may well be that they would vote to remain but that would not alter the issue that many of them are very disillusioned with the EU is run allegedly on their behalf.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-03-17 10:04 AM

Do they have 135000 export businesses whos market is purely the EU?

Where's this 135000 UK businesses that trade purely with the EU come from? ;-) .........

Oh I know the "Remoaner book of bullsh*t" (lol) .........

Tracker - 2018-03-17 10:27 AM

Do you think the French, Germans, Dutch and all the other EU countries want to lose their national identity by "Staying in the club"? Do you think they are less proud or patriotic than us? Of course they are not! They are just like us, proud of their heritage, history (Well perhaps not all of German history :D ) and I am sure they have no intention of giving up any of that and why should they. They have no intention of leaving though..

There does seem to be a lot of anti EU feeling in those countries Barry, which incidentally are also net contributors, it's just that nobody has yet given them the chance to voting on an opt in or out.

It may well be that they would vote to remain but that would not alter the issue that many of them are very disillusioned with the EU is run allegedly on their behalf.

If you looked at that huge analysis of polls posted recently (cant remember which thread it was on) there were hundreds of surveys from Europe as well as the UK and not a single one was even close to voting out with Italy I think being the nearest on 60% remain 40% leave.

your right though, there is a fair bit of anti EU feeling throughout Europe but I think most of it would like to see some reform and (for now at least) none of them would vote to leave and the general feeling I have observed from actually talking to Europeans is one of dismay and to some extent worry and sadness for us that we voted to leave. Whilst many are dissatisfied they realise the prospects on the other side of the fence are far worse. Levels of dissatisfaction cannot continue to rise though. The EU is made up of 27 countries and is for all intent and purposes an administration centre for the collective bloc of those countries, not some independent body acting against them. It is us and those countries that subscribe to it that IS the EU. So its up to us (Them) to reform it as we wish.

Archived