Brexiteer jailed for death threats

Bulletguy

Less than three years after Labour MP Jo Cox was murdered by a white supremacist shouting “Britain first”, Robert Vidler targeted six MPs with a barrage of 19 voicemails and abusive calls.

City of London Magistrates’ Court heard that one message, left in January for then-Conservative MP Nick Boles, said: “If you f*** up Brexit we will cut your f***** throat. We know where you live and we know your f***ing timetable and we ain’t joking.”

Another voicemail targeting the Conservative MP Dominic Grieve, said: “Hello, Mr Grieve. We know your f***ing timetable and we know where you f***ing live, ok?”

Vidler, 64, called again to repeat his threat the following day, warning: “You’re dead, Grieve, we know where you and your f***ing family live.”

“The nature of these calls included, effectively, death threats, but they had a common theme that they were all motivated by a desire to leave the European Union in very forthright and aggressive terms.”

The low life got just 18 weeks. *-)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/brexit-death-threats-mps-grieve-vidler-remainers-jailed-a9037321.html

Considering he had 18 previous convictions, he seems to have been let off very lightly.

Looks like the courts don't take threats of violence and murder very seriously.

:-(

p.s. I would have thought that the fact that he is a Brexiteer is irrelevant.

malc d - 2019-08-02 9:22 PM

Considering he had 18 previous convictions, he seems to have been let off very lightly.

Looks like the courts don't take threats of violence and murder very seriously.

:-(

p.s. I would have thought that the fact that he is a Brexiteer is irrelevant.

Extremely lightly. You ps point is covered in the sentencing remarks of Deputy chief magistrate Tan Ikram on the offenders 'common theme' and motivation.

18 weeks jail for sending obscene messages and harassment while Mr Farages attacker found guilty of common assault and criminal damage escapes jail and gets a £350 fine ... Think we know where the sympathies of those handing out the punishments lie

Interesting to note that he wasn’t charged with making threats to kill, a very serious offence carrying a maximum of 10 years. It’s rarely charged because it is very difficult to prove. That’s because the prosecution has to show that the person making the threats intended that the target would fear that he or she would carry them out.

The charges relating to the malicious communication carry a maximum of 6 months but sentencing guidelines don’t go above 15 weeks for the most serious unless there are other aggravating features. For the harassment charges it seems they come within what the sentencing council set out as a C2 category for which the starting point is 12 weeks. So it seems like he got top whack given the charges, although Mr Ikram could have made the sentence on each charge consecutive rather than concurrent I suppose.

Violet1956 - 2019-08-03 9:11 AM

. So it seems like he got top whack given the charges, although Mr Ikram could have made the sentence on each charge consecutive rather than concurrent I suppose.

So obviously the " top whack " needs reviewing.

It appears he was also hit with a massive financial loss of 415 pounds - maybe it's assumed that that will deter others from doing the same thing !

;-)

pelmetman - 2019-08-03 9:09 AM

Will this low life Lib Dem supporter even be charged let alone jailed? :-| ..........

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage-slams-remainers-tweet-showing-him-with-target-on-his-face-a4201701.html

Unlikely.... as we all know how hypocritical Remoaners are *-) .........

Do you mean Nigel "the Don khaki" Farage? Seen here inciting civil unrest https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-brexit-rifle-pick-up-uk-eu-withdrawal-ukip-leader-liberal-democrat-a7741331.html

malc d - 2019-08-03 9:54 AM

. So it seems like he got top whack given the charges, although Mr Ikram could have made the sentence on each charge consecutive rather than concurrent I suppose.

It appears he was also hit with a massive financial loss of 415 pounds - maybe it's assumed that that will deter others from doing the same thing !

;-)

…or maybe the CPS shouldn’t have to do things on the cheap Malc. They could have charged him with threats to kill but that would almost inevitably go to trial before a jury. Good for politicians to experience what starving the criminal justice system of funds can mean for victims of crime perhaps.

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-08-03 10:26 AM

Will this low life Lib Dem supporter even be charged let alone jailed? :-| ..........

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage-slams-remainers-tweet-showing-him-with-target-on-his-face-a4201701.html

Do you mean Nigel "the Don khaki" Farage? Seen here inciting civil unrest https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-brexit-rifle-pick-up-uk-eu-withdrawal-ukip-leader-liberal-democrat-a7741331.html

Donning khaki and picking up a rifle is what patriots do to defend democracy ;-) ..........

Terrorist loving hypocrites like you an Corbyn wouldn't understand that would you? *-) ........

Interesting to note that he wasn’t charged with making threats to kill, a very serious offence carrying a maximum of 10 years. It’s rarely charged because it is very difficult to prove. That’s because the prosecution has to show that the person making the threats intended that the target would fear that he or she would carry them out.

Voicemails were left on their phones Veronica. How much more proof do they need than that? If someone leaves a message saying “If you f*** up Brexit we will cut your f***** throat" the intent is crystal clear and i can't see the difficulty in proving fear.

Do the victims have to live in constant fear of their lives over Brexit?

The charges relating to the malicious communication carry a maximum of 6 months but sentencing guidelines don’t go above 15 weeks for the most serious unless there are other aggravating features. For the harassment charges it seems they come within what the sentencing council set out as a C2 category for which the starting point is 12 weeks. So it seems like he got top whack given the charges, although Mr Ikram could have made the sentence on each charge consecutive rather than concurrent I suppose.

They should have gone for the former and banged him up for 10 years. 6 months is a joke and 18 weeks an insult.

It reminded me of a documentary i saw recently about a young female store worker who broke off a relationship with her boyfriend who she felt had become too possessive. Indeed he was....and he wasn't about to take "no" for an answer so began bombarding her with text. Apart from her friends, nobody was listening and like this scumbag, he'd also made death threats. Weeks later he carried out his threat in front of customers and slit her throat.

pelmetman - 2019-08-03 10:59 AM

Donning khaki and picking up a rifle is what patriots do to defend democracy ;-) ..........

Terrorist loving hypocrites like you an Corbyn wouldn't understand that would you? *-) ........

Apparently Brexit was all about "taking back control and restoring parliamentary democracy". Parliamentary democracy is what we've got, not direct democracy and as such our representatives make the decisions they think best.

Violet1956 - 2019-08-03 10:39 AM

malc d - 2019-08-03 9:54 AM

;-)

…or maybe the CPS shouldn’t have to do things on the cheap Malc. They could have charged him with threats to kill but that would almost inevitably go to trial before a jury. Good for politicians to experience what starving the criminal justice system of funds can mean for victims of crime perhaps.

I'm not sure risking being murdered is a good way to wake up a government obsessed with punitive cost cutting to fund the wealthy. After all, politicians at the top are well protected whilst plain and ordinary MP's aren't.

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-08-03 1:06 PM

Apparently Brexit was all about "taking back control and restoring parliamentary democracy". Parliamentary democracy is what we've got, not direct democracy and as such our representatives make the decisions they think best.

Come the next election we'll be "taking back control" of Parliament >:-) ...........

That's why Corbyn bottled it when he had the chance? :D ............

He knows he's about as electable as Ebola (lol) (lol) (lol) ........

pelmetman - 2019-08-03 2:05 PM

Fast Pat - 2019-08-03 1:06 PM

Come the next election we'll be "taking back control" of Parliament >:-) ...........

That's not been going too well lately has it? You lose a by-election which was considered a safe Tory seat, then another in Wales after the Tory convicted criminal fraudster had to go, his seat being taken by a pro-EU MP leaving Johnson with a parliament majority of just one. Poetic justice. :-D

I agree with you BG in that it shouldn't be too difficult to prove in this instance but you never know with a jury, and jury trials are very expensive. I left the criminal law behind me several years ago having witnessed of trend towards "undercharging". I wonder how much the CPS considers what penalty is likely to be imposed and whether it is commensurate with the wrong doing as opposed to an "easy bag" and one which makes their conviction stats look good. The sentencing guidelines are a matter of public knowledge.

Violet1956 - 2019-08-03 3:43 PM

I agree with you BG in that it shouldn't be too difficult to prove in this instance but you never know with a jury, and jury trials are very expensive. I left the criminal law behind me several years ago having witnessed of trend towards "undercharging". I wonder how much the CPS considers what penalty is likely to be imposed and whether it is commensurate with the wrong doing as opposed to an "easy bag" and one which makes their conviction stats look good. The sentencing guidelines are a matter of public knowledge.

I'm always uneasy with soft targets to get stats up. We all know where that leads and it's never good (CSA being one example but there are endless others). In this particular case i didn't feel the penalty fitted the level of crime. Written or recorded threats to kill someone i'd always believed were at the top level of seriousness, but it seems not. What has the country come to when some extremist nutcase can threaten to slit your throat if they don't get Brexit? That loophead is back out on the streets in two months time.

Violet1956 - 2019-08-03 5:06 PM

He has been made subject of an order that he cannot contact any MP except his own. If he breaches it he is back inside. I don't think he is representative of all the people who voted to leave the EU. Certainly a nasty piece of work.

Not all no though he's representative of a very nasty and dangerous undercurrent. We don't see any pro-EU supporters in court on similar charges.

Not it isn't. It just isn't! I dont agree with your politics so its ok for me to pick up a gun and come round your gaff and shoot you? Dont think so. Since when as it been ok to incite violence and encourage people to take up arms if they do not get their political way?

Barryd999 - 2019-08-03 5:49 PM

Not it isn't. It just isn't! I dont agree with your politics so its ok for me to pick up a gun and come round your gaff and shoot you? Dont think so. Since when as it been ok to incite violence and encourage people to take up arms if they do not get their political way?

Since 16th June 2016 apparently.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-08-03 5:49 PM

Us Brits have a proud history of fighting for democracy all over the world ;-) ............

Perhaps you should think about that before you call for a Lib Dem dictatorship? :-| .........

As Oh No Jo has already said she would "ignore" a Leave vote if there is another referendum *-) .......

Archived