British workers WANTED!!

Bulletguy

This could prove an interesting and informative watch.....but i suspect not for the snowflakes! ;-)

Bognor Regis recruitment agency Opus Loco is facing a problem. Ninety-eight per cent of its staff is from eastern Europe, and many of them are now choosing to leave the UK. This documentary follows the three women who run the agency as they set out to sign up British workers ready to take on temporary work ranging from landscape gardening and catering to general warehouse work. But it proves more difficult than they had expected.

Channel 4 Thursday at 10pm

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The latest immigration figure which include 9 months after the Brexit vote show a net influx of 1/4 million, and that's on top of the present millions from previous years.

It does make you wonder why these companies can't find workers, maybe because many already here no longer wish to have crap jobs and have moved on to better jobs, I know this is the case for some care workers coming in from Rumania and Bulgaria, who where employed by british agencies at low rates who then set up there own care company, and good luck to them, they are a fine bunch of workers.

Britain's overpriced housing restricting labour mobility as usual.

These jobs don't pay enough to pay relocation and housing costs - especially for families.

Foreign workers were usually young and single, and prepared to share a caravan or room in a slum - at least for a while.

Guest pelmetman

The reason is obvious surely ?.......

We have a benefit system that ALLOWS folk to be idle *-) ........

How can that be right???? :-| ........

pelmetman - 2017-11-15 9:19 AM

I quite agree.

I don't mind the unemployed getting REASONABLE benefits.

But the Royal Family Hangers On are just taking the p*ss.

PS: Meanwhile the genuinely deserving are fraudulently denied their benefits ... http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/General-Chat/Chatterbox/Disability-Fraud/48041/

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-11-15 11:30 AM

I quite agree.

I don't mind the unemployed getting REASONABLE benefits./

Not when they are able to work and turn it down because they reckon they're better of on benefits *-) ........

pelmetman - 2017-11-15 12:05 PM

John52 - 2017-11-15 11:30 AM

I quite agree.

I don't mind the unemployed getting REASONABLE benefits./

Not when they are able to work and turn it down because they reckon they're better of on benefits *-) ........

Benefits have to cover housing costs, wages don't. So for some people benefits could be higher than what they could earn.

Whats the solution?

A sensible solution would be to allow more house building to bring down housing costs.

But the Government has shown by its actions (not its words) it wants to keep house prices high.

John52 - 2017-11-15 3:39 PM

A sensible solution would be to allow more house building to bring down housing costs.

I hear this on a regular basis, I can only assume that the only county in UK where housing is being built is Bedfordshire, because my experience is that we have had massive building projects of years, it's a never ending thing, but then with an annual net influx of over 1/4 million per year I suppose it's hardy surprising.

Brian Kirby - 2017-11-15 4:16 PM

Interesting. Anywhere special, Colin, or across the county generally? Apologies for OT.

Generally across the county, although the main areas are the towns like Bedford, Sandy and Biggleswade. Of cause it's not helped that there is fast rail access to London.

Off topic for the moment (until tomorrow evening!) but in relation to new build estates, they are required to have a set minimum percentage of 'affordable housing' and Dispatches covered this issue in an interesting documentary on Monday. The figures are pretty disturbing but also covers the HCA (Homes and Communities Agency), a regulatory body for social housing which has an extreme range of serious legal powers.....yet very few people even know of it's existence.

Well worth watching; http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/on-demand/66548-003

Well of course deciding who gets one of these 'affordable houses' is as much a recipe for corruption as their planning system.

They obviously aren't allowing enough house building to bring house prices down. Simple supply and demand - increase the supply and the price will come down - for everybody.

But the landlord dominated Government has its fingers in its ears because its happy with its housing market being 'Bouyant, Strong, Healthy etc *-)

The housing market might be Strong and Buoyant, I'm not convinced it is Healthy.

There are economists who will tell you that the only thing stopping a complete collapse of the pound is the high property prices, that strikes me as a bubble waiting to burst.

colin - 2017-11-15 6:38 PM

The housing market might be Strong and Buoyant, I'm not convinced it is Healthy.

There are economists who will tell you that the only thing stopping a complete collapse of the pound is the high property prices, that strikes me as a bubble waiting to burst.

That was put forward after the crash of 2008. Their argument being that if house prices fell, borrowers would go into negative equity, hand back their keys and the banks would go bust.

So we had emergency low interest rates to support borrowers as a so called temporary measure. But far from taking that oportuity to extinguish the fire, George Osborne poured petrol on it by throwing taxpayers borrowed money at house price subsidies through his so called 'Help to Buy'

So nine years later the situation is even worse, with house prices draining the economy through housing benefi/help to buyt subsies and paralysing industry because workers can't afford to relocate to where the jobs are. Money that should have been invested in productive industry is going on inflated rent instead.

colin - 2017-11-15 3:48 PM

I hear this on a regular basis, I can only assume that the only county in UK where housing is being built is Bedfordshire, because my experience is that we have had massive building projects of years, it's a never ending thing, but then with an annual net influx of over 1/4 million per year I suppose it's hardy surprise

Can't be bothered to quote to john52. Colin we in Suffolk, Norfolk and Essex are seeing villages and towns sometimes doubled in size. Here in Bury St Edmunds (real patron saint of England 20th November saints day)It's so bad they have had to build a relief road to the A14 to ease the traffic load.

teflon2 - 2017-11-15 7:49 PM

I hear this on a regular basis, I can only assume that the only county in UK where housing is being built is Bedfordshire, because my experience is that we have had massive building projects of years, it's a never ending thing, but then with an annual net influx of over 1/4 million per year I suppose it's hardy surprise

Can't be bothered to quote to john52. Colin we in Suffolk, Norfolk and Essex are seeing villages and towns sometimes doubled in size. Here in Bury St Edmunds (real patron saint of England 20th November saints day)It's so bad they have had to build a relief road to the A14 to ease the traffic load.

Which, to me, suggests that John's dislike pf planning laws may not meet with universal approval! :-) Personal view, but I think a return to building "new towns" would be preferable to allowing accretions of new-build estates to surround existing towns and villages to the point at which the existing fabric becomes over-stretched. More people mean more shops, schools, medical services, leisure facilities, emergency services, commercial/industrial units, car parks, underground services, sewage treatment, and traffic. Better to plan for these at the outset, IMO, than to allow wholesale development and then discover too late that half the housing is where the new trading estate should have gone!

teflon2 - 2017-11-15 7:49 PM

Doubled in size eh *-)

Actually this decade saw the lowest housebuilding since the war. Its picked up slightly recently, but not by much

housebuilding.png.62e465c38cb60b5c55035dab61e8dd6f.png

The reduction in housebuilding and consequent shortage of supply makes it obvious why prices have risen. Osborne's stimulating demand with taxpayer funded subsidies poured petrol on the fire.

I suppose the only question is whether the Desmond of the Mail will blame the Immigrants, the EU, or both *-)

John52 - 2017-11-15 9:12 PM

The reduction in housebuilding and consequent shortage of supply makes it obvious why prices have risen. Osborne's stimulating demand with taxpayer funded subsidies poured petrol on the fire.

I suppose the only question is whether the Desmond of the Mail will blame the Immigrants, the EU, or both *-)

Both John. What's to lose? :-D

Invalidated immediately by the first sub-header......"New report from Migration Watch"......well known for it's right wing anti-immigration views. Like the Fail it's not a reliable source.

Seven years ago they filed a libel suit against Sally Bercow based on an assertion that she conflated the immigration think tank and its chaiman with Oswald Mosley and Nazism. Bercow's lawyers refuted this and she has not apologised for her remarks.

The minute Bercow instructed lawyers to defend her case, Migration Watch dropped their complaint and ran off.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-11-15 9:12 PM

8 in 10 new households are migrants :-| ........

Bulletguy - 2017-11-15 9:37 PM

Invalidated immediately by the first sub-header......"New report from Migration Watch"......well known for it's right wing anti-immigration views. Like the Fail it's not a reliable source.

Seven years ago they filed a libel suit against Sally Bercow based on an assertion that she conflated the immigration think tank and its chaiman with Oswald Mosley and Nazism. Bercow's lawyers refuted this and she has not apologised for her remarks.

The minute Bercow instructed lawyers to defend her case, Migration Watch dropped their complaint and ran off.

Seems to me the case was dropped after her solicitor explained Bercows comments to them ... As Migration Watch then explain they believe in something you dont free speech so dropped the case ... Unless you can prove otherwise of course

antony1969 - 2017-11-16 9:27 AM

Seems to me the case was dropped after her solicitor explained Bercows comments to them ... As Migration Watch then explain they believe in something you dont free speech so dropped the case ... Unless you can prove otherwise of course.

Free speech does not extend to libelous comments, just as Farage eventually realised this week which will cost him £100k.Good job we have courts to ensure that it is kept within the boundaries and accordance of the law.......something you seem to have trouble in understanding.

If Migration Watch felt absolutely certain they had a case against Bercow, then they would have pursued it, but they didn't because they were going to be challenged in a court of law.

Bulletguy - 2017-11-16 4:10 PM

antony1969 - 2017-11-16 9:27 AM

Seems to me the case was dropped after her solicitor explained Bercows comments to them ... As Migration Watch then explain they believe in something you dont free speech so dropped the case ... Unless you can prove otherwise of course.

Free speech does not extend to libelous comments, just as Farage eventually realised this week which will cost him £100k.Good job we have courts to ensure that it is kept within the boundaries and accordance of the law.......something you seem to have trouble in understanding.

If Migration Watch felt absolutely certain they had a case against Bercow, then they would have pursued it, but they didn't because they were going to be challenged in a court of law.

I understand perfectly about free speech ... Free speech allows you to call folk whatever you like on here it seems and put post after bitter post about POTUS Trump , his wife and even his daughter and it also allows me to question Islam and for you to defend it , which you do very well ... You defend all of it ... Regarding Migration Watch , if they had no case against Bercow as you suggest then I assume Bercows solicitors would have been all over something Migration Watch published about Bercow and her solicitors which is freely available to view for all who wish to do so ... But of course you'll know best

Archived