Canal Du Midi

michele

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I tried it last year. I taped up all the doors and routed the exhaust pipe vertically above the roof line but despite all this we still sank after about 100 yards.

Next year we may try it in a boat.

frank your getting good keep it up ;-) Anyway caught you out wasn't it so long ago that you got caught wading in your wellies on a cc up north can't remember where ? Thats two canal Du midi's in one year . You get about dont you. ;-)

Although I love motorcaravanning, I have often thought how wonderful it would be to hire a barge and drift down the Midi, Its one of the most peaceful areas of France I have come across, with miles of tree lined canal, so different to the hectic race of the nearby motorways that skirt part of it. B-) chas

I loved watching the Famous chef one of my favorites Rick Stein from padstow I,m still waiting for lizzy to answer my PM.

Rick stein done a book and series called French Odyssey.

Wonderful series & wonderful book they hired the Ann Jodie the Boat and started at Padstow to Bordeaux to M****ille and finished off in The med .

On his way he stopped at every little french market shop town village .

Well worth watching if it is on again . I have all his books not really into the fish although if he was cooking it I wouldn't say no, I buy them signed more for the learning for crabs lobsters & lanugostine Crustaians .

I like to know how to prepare them and have not had a bad experience as yet were all still alive often stop in france and buy clams carpet clams .

So easy to follow are his books and always washed down by the wine of the day ... Here's one just to get you into the spirit of holidays hope you all enjoy and one day might try it..

1.5kg Clams or small Mussels

150mls dry white wine

500g cooked shell on North Atlantic prawns

removeheads nutnot rest of shell

3 tbl spoons chopped flat parsley

plenty french bread

put into a large frying pan

add wine cover & cook keep shaking the pan until they open tip out into colander save the juice put three spoonsfuls of juice back into pan return shell fish 2 spoonfuls of parsley leave to go cold dont put in the fridge ,

sprinkle with the parsley and serve with french bread and wine ..

Enjoy close your eye's you could be on the canal du midi....you never know

God knows why its blocked out M****ILLEs a french town ?

Ok Mar Sei lles try that

carol ,

have you seen the series if not look at google images rick stein French odyssey its fantastic . If we had no kids and who knows health prevailing one day one day I,m following you ... who knows I may even be rich enough to hire the Rosa or the Anjodi and do it in style . ;-)

for now I will be content to use the camper if I ever get the chance. If you do dont miss the Ecluses de Fonserannes a flight of nine locks on the canal . Enjoy

92220542_rickstein.jpg.87116daa34e936652e0d96d0f4d735fd.jpg

INTRO to Canal du MIDI, 2003: Maps and Guide Books

Obviously we cannot explore a country without maps and in France (and most of Europe) that means Michelin. The Green Guide recommends the following maps:M82 and 83 (at a scale of 1/200 000 and a more regional maps M235 and M240 also at a scale of 1/200 000.

I could not find these maps on the Michelin Map website and it is possible that they have been replaced by new editions. The closest map on the web site is M11344 (Aude, Pyenees-Orientale) at a scale of 1/150 000 (1cm=1.5km). The map covers all of the Canal du Midi, though I wish it went farther north to cover the National Parks. Maps can be generated, and viewed on the Michelin Web site and below are two examples. We pick up boats at Castlenaudary (in the centre of MAP 1 and travel West to Toulouse or East to Carcassonne. Map 2 shows the canal section further east, between Carcassonne and Beziers.

Map 1: Toulouse to Carcassonne

MAP 2: Carcassonne to Beziers.

I am sure there will be other local maps available in France, once we get there.

An excellent source of on-line maps is

MAPQUEST. Detailed maps of France are available and I was even able to locate a small village where the only Minervois wine available is Nova Scotia is bottled.

INTRO to Canal du MIDI, 2003: Maps and Guide Books

Michelin. Languedoc, the area of France through which Canal du Midi winds its way, is not very familiar so I have looked for some background and reference material. The first find, and a real "must" is Michelin's

Green Guide to Languedoc, Roussillon Tarn Gorge.

[On Michelin web site scroll down to "Regions of France" and select Languedoc from the pull down menu.] The guide is full of factual and fascinating information about places along the Canal as well as the rest of the region. Essential reading!

Insight Guide: Southwest France Unlike the Michelin Green Guide, which lists in alphabetic order every little village in the region, Insight Guide is organized around "Features" articles covering such divers topics as "Cave Painters to Cathars", "Romanesque Architecture", "The Changing Countryside", "Food in the Southwest". etc. Places in the region are grouped in chapters such as "Aveyron and the Cevennes", The Aude", "Herault and Gard", etc. Various places of interest are easily located on some of the 18 maps. Beautiful illustrations are of the 'National Geographic' standard.

The Rough Guide to Languedoc & Roussillon by Brian Catlos. 416 pp - 27 maps. Recommended by several travellers on their personal web sites. "Rough Guides" foster a community of young travellers and encourage posting personal travel diaries. There are five accounts of visits to Caracassonne and they make interesting reading.

Blue Guide Southwest France by Delia Gray-Durant.

Home

© 2007 BIO-OA / Last Update on: 2004 / 08 / 30

Archived