Computer?

Tracker

We are having to consider downsizing to a smaller bungalow and part of that probably means I will lose my study, aka spare bedroom.

I like my desktop PC as it is easy to use, nice big keyboard, easy to use mouse, nice big screen and now that windows 10 is under control easy to diagnose and resolve problems.

None of that seems to apply to a laptop and even less so to a tablet as I see my wife struggle with using both, particularly the loss of a mouse. I know you can get a wireless mouse for a laptop but I don't think you can for a tablet?

I am unimpressed with the wife's Galaxy tablet but it seems at least a little less less bloody minded than my elderly IPad!

A smaller handheld device, or even a laptop, does have its attractions but they all seem to have pared down operating systems and the normal range of PC settings etc seems hard to access and with very limited functions?

I use the 'classic shell' on my PC as it is easy to follow without any fancy pointless pretty pictures and I try to avoid everything Microsoft wherever possible as it just seems so full of bloated nonsense when all I want is a simple list of functions!

I know I am a short tempered luddite with memory problems but does anyone have any words of experience - good and bad - please?

I would certainly miss the use of a mouse, so I stick to a laptop. I have two, a Lenovo which has all the functionality of a desktop PC, though is a tad slower, and a refurbished Dell that I bought to try out Linux.

I too try to avoid Microsoft, so I now exclusively use Linux (Ubuntu 16.04) which is FREE and much less hassle than Windows 10 (which I detest). You can easily install Linux alongside Windows and select either when you boot up.

Most popular applications have Linux versions eg. OpenOffice or LibreOffice, Firefox, Skype etc. I use the Free Chromium browser. The only problem I have encountered was with the selection of a new printer, but HP supports Linux very well and is easy to install.

Keep your desktop. Put it on a trolly, and keep it in your wardrobe! Throw out the old clothes you no longer wear!

I also prefer a computer, rather than a Ipad. OH has bought anew IPad, so has donated the old one to me, but I can't get on with it.

Spent my working life on keyboard operated machines, even before computers where invented.

The modern laptops are OK, though I have not used windows 10.

PJay

PJay - 2018-07-18 1:15 PM

Keep your desktop. Put it on a trolly, and keep it in your wardrobe! Throw out the old clothes you no longer wear!

Can I keep my favourite shirts please?

The real worry is that Dot will store me in the wardrobe too - and even more of a worry is that some say that might not be a bad idea!

Grumblewagon - 2018-07-18 12:49 PM

I would certainly miss the use of a mouse, so I stick to a laptop. I have two, a Lenovo which has all the functionality of a desktop PC, though is a tad slower, and a refurbished Dell that I bought to try out Linux.

I too try to avoid Microsoft, so I now exclusively use Linux (Ubuntu 16.04) which is FREE and much less hassle than Windows 10 (which I detest). You can easily install Linux alongside Windows and select either when you boot up.

Most popular applications have Linux versions eg. OpenOffice or LibreOffice, Firefox, Skype etc. I use the Free Chromium browser. The only problem I have encountered was with the selection of a new printer, but HP supports Linux very well and is easy to install.

Thanks, I have long been considering Linux and the latest 'Mint' version seems the most suitable for my level of incompetence.

To be shot of MS would be wonderful!

Sorry to have to ask but can I assume that the same desktop and access to most programmes I use will be available on Linux just as they are on Win10, and do you think that I will be able to use Open Office and it's link to my Canon printer as I do now.

I understand that the 'how long is a piece of string' principle applies here as there are a lot of unknowns!

Archived