Cornish Brexiteers......your county NEEDS YOU

Bulletguy

Come on, you Cornish Brexiteers (including the fishermen for whom the Brexit they voted for has been a disaster) - your county needs you!! Time to step up to the plate but it seems locals just aren't up to the work.....it's too hard for them.

The world's largest daffodil farm, which is based in Cornwall, is being forced to let hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of flowers rot after encountering troubles hiring staff since Brexit.

Varfell Farms, at Long Rock, Penzance, produces 500 million stems a year and needs 700 workers to pick them.

However, since Covid and the end of free movement following Brexit, the business only has around 400 flower pickers.

Hopes that Cornish workers could step into the shoes of those who are now unable to travel from the European Union have been dashed.

"We have significant recruitment drives for local workers to come and harvest crops," added Newey. "It’s idealistic to think that because of Covid and the higher than usual unemployment rates that those people would come in and do that work.

"I would say that a daffodil harvester is to be highly respected because the work is very hard. You’re out in the cold weather, it’s in Cornwall, it blows pretty hard down there. It’s wet and you’re bending over picking daffodils for three months.

"Frankly, the people that we’ve had to come and do this work, the locals, may last a day or two days, but they certainly don’t last two or three months."

https://tinyurl.com/57zepywc

CurtainRaiser - 2021-02-22 3:08 PM

jumpstart - 2021-02-22 2:54 PM

You don’t care much for pubs as a business, being non essential but think daffodils are an essential business. Odd.

You should pop down there, all that vitamin D will boost your immune system.

If you had been paying attention you would know that its an unnecessary journey and currently not allowed.

jumpstart - 2021-02-22 3:19 PM

You don’t care much for pubs as a business, being non essential but think daffodils are an essential business. Odd.

If you had been paying attention you would know that its an unnecessary journey and currently not allowed.

If you had been paying attention you would know that you are allowed to travel for work if you cant work from home, so unless you have very long arms....

CurtainRaiser - 2021-02-22 3:38 PM

If you had been paying attention you would know that you are allowed to travel for work if you cant work from home, so unless you have very long arms....

Makes little difference how long my arms are , as I don’t work I still wouldn’t be allowed to do the journey.

Unless of course if my arms were 235 miles long I could pick them from here.

(lol)(lol)

jumpstart - 2021-02-22 3:49 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-02-22 3:38 PM

Makes little difference how long my arms are , as I don’t work I still wouldn’t be allowed to do the journey.

Unless of course if my arms were 235 miles long I could pick them from here.

As I always thought Brexiteers were knuckle draggers. Perfect job for those that live closer they wouldn't even need to bend down.

Archived