Cornwall: This Fishing Life

Bulletguy

An interesting series documenting the fishing industry in Cornwall been showing on BBC2 over the past 6 weeks. Varying political opinions expressed by the fishermen yet none seemed aware quotas had been sold off, unless reluctant to mention it.

in England nearly 80% of fishing quota is held by foreign owners or domestic Rich List families, and more than half of Northern Ireland’s quota is hoarded onto a single trawler. “Fishing was the poster child of the Leave campaign and [environment secretary Michael] Gove has already broken promises he made to the industry to secure full control of our waters during the transition,” she continued. “With all the talk of ‘take back control’, ministers have the power to distribute UK quota now and put the smaller-scale fleet first. So why wasn’t it mentioned in their white paper?

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2018/10/11/fishing-quota-uk-defra-michael-gove/

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/11/brexit-uk-fishermen-fishing-industry-quotas-uk-government

Another point which regular came up was labour force recruitment. Sourcing local labour to work in the industry proved extremely difficult so now it's just got even more difficult. Yes it's a very dangerous job and pay unpredictable being reliant on the skippers expertise and knowledge in finding good grounds, but when the catch is good, so is the pay. Many are East European, not just on the trawlers but also the processing plant where even they can earn "on average up to £30k a year" according to the owner of one plant. So not exactly a 'poor' income. But the work is intense production line, cold and messy though naturally they wear PPE.

There were few young local lads prepared to take on Trawler work apart from one who quickly found his 'sea legs', worked his way up to learning to skipper and due to take his certificate which will enable him to take command. One old sea dog was still working at 73!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000f9bf/cornwall-this-fishing-life-series-1-episode-5

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bulletguy - 2020-02-19 4:47 PM

still working at 73

Michael Batten at Penberth was still working at 81 last time I saw him on my visit last year.

He rents a cottage up a side lane from the National Trust they were trying to tell him its worth more than the rent he pays because of the views, but all he can see from the windows are trees - apart from the skylight.

The dog kept bringing me a ball but when I tried to get it out his mouth he wouldn't let go.

Looks like the Brexiteers of Newlyn missed out a £5m+ EU grant by arguing about what to spent it on till the deadline for EU grants to England has passed.

PS: Penberth Cove is episode 4

John52 - 2020-02-19 5:26 PM

still working at 73

Looks like the Brexiteers of Newlyn missed out a £5m+ EU grant by arguing about what to spent it on till the deadline for EU grants to England has passed.

Yes i saw that and wondered why more didn't pick up on it. I've only got episode 6 to view now but it's been quite an interesting series.

I would suggest a reading of 'The Swordfish and the Star'.

Newlyn is one of the few places in Cornwall not overrun by tourists, surprised it took so long into series to mention the Stevensons, was talking to Peter whilst sat outside his office last year, seemed a polite chap.

Bulletguy - 2020-02-19 6:22 PM

still working at 73

Yes i saw that and wondered why more didn't pick up on it. I've only got episode 6 to view now but it's been quite an interesting series.

No doubt they will blame the EU for their messing up their grant application and England getting less out than they put in :-S

jumpstart - 2020-02-19 5:56 PM

Johnson is bound to give some access to EU trawlers, traded for London Finance access to Brussels.

I wouldn't bet on it as he's promised his supporters they can have their cake and eat it *-)

Either he will get a bum deal the Daily Mail will present as a success, with their readers too thick to see the difference. Or he will fool around for a year and crash out without a deal.

Thats what the markets are pricing in.

My only consolation is my S&P500 ETF hit another record high this morning - as the US is set to profit from the UK's demise :-S

colin - 2020-02-19 8:36 PM

Newlyn is one of the few places in Cornwall not overrun by tourists, surprised it took so long into series to mention the Stevensons, was talking to Peter whilst sat outside his office last year, seemed a polite chap.

Elizabeth Stevenson (the only woman at the meeting) is nice to talk to when you stay off controversial subjects.

But I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of her. The Stevensons wouldn't have stayed at the top of the business if they weren't tough.

John52 - 2020-02-20 9:10 AM

Johnson is bound to give some access to EU trawlers, traded for London Finance access to Brussels.

I wouldn't bet on it as he's promised his supporters they can have their cake and eat it *-)

Either he will get a bum deal the Daily Mail will present as a success, with their readers too thick to see the difference. Or he will fool around for a year and crash out without a deal.

My only consolation is my S&P500 ETF hit another record high this morning - as the US is set to profit from the UK's demise :-S

The EU look like they may demand stolen artifacts ( Elgin marbles) to be returned....perhaps we should let them have them but demand Spain hand back to Morocco the enclaves they maintain in Morocco which the EU pay for.

jumpstart - 2020-02-20 9:51 AM

John52 - 2020-02-20 9:10 AM

The EU look like they may demand stolen artifacts ( Elgin marbles) to be returned....perhaps we should let them have them but demand Spain hand back to Morocco the enclaves they maintain in Morocco which the EU pay for.

Small beer compared to the tax revenue Gibraltar sucks out of Spain.

The Spanish invaded Mousehole a few hundred years ago - Imagine if they had stayed, and maintained it as a tax haven to suck the tax revenue out of England, whilst Spain ignored the EU and all other countries requests to negotiate. Would we just say its OK because the Spanish who settled in Mousehole have voted to keep it as a tax haven *-)

John52 - 2020-02-20 9:02 AM

still working at 73

No doubt they will blame the EU for their messing up their grant application and England getting less out than they put in :-S

Just watched the final episode today. Cornwall received £billions from EU yet 56% vote Leave! Felt a bit sorry for the ex-RN guy who took the job on as new Harbourmaster....trying to please everyone whilst wanting to make changes. Damned if he did and damned when he didn't, not being Cornish obviously didn't help! He's "a foreigner"!

It was a good little series, different to the "Trawlermen" docs in that it also showed a lot of related work such as the fish stock auction etc. A big concern for them now is tariffs but they knew what they were voting for......didn't they? ;-)

malc d - 2020-02-20 12:10 PM

thebishbus - 2020-02-20 11:42 AM

I think the Elgin Marbles were bought, not stolen.

Brian B.

According to Wiki the British government bought them from the bloke who is said to have pinched them - Lord Elgin.

;-)

Lord Elgin claims he bought them from the Pasha that ruled the area at the time.

John52 - 2020-02-20 9:13 AM

Elizabeth Stevenson (the only woman at the meeting) is nice to talk to when you stay off controversial subjects.

But I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of her. The Stevensons wouldn't have stayed at the top of the business if they weren't tough.

As I say 'The Swordfish and the Star' is an interesting read, the independents who contributed to it didn't seem to like them much, but I know someone who used to run a boat out of Newlyn and he told me they helped him a lot.

colin - 2020-02-20 10:24 PM

John52 - 2020-02-20 9:13 AM

As I say 'The Swordfish and the Star' is an interesting read, the independents who contributed to it didn't seem to like them much, but I know someone who used to run a boat out of Newlyn and he told me they helped him a lot.

Stevensons are Agents so they help them who pay them for their services.

But do they obstruct those who don't?

As shown in the final programme, Stevensons control the fish market - and 30% of the fish landed at Newlyn is sent to Plymouth Market so not everyone is happy with them. Plymouth Agents tried to run a market at Newlyn in competition to Stevensons, but Stevensons blocked them with a legal challenge. While all this was going on they missed the deadline to claim a £5m EU Grant before the Brexit cut off date.

But they never did me any harm. You used to get a huge portion of fish at the chippy on the corner in the centre of Newlyn, and it was cheap - until Stevensons got busted for fiddling their fish quotas :-S

Bulletguy - 2020-02-20 4:48 PM

still working at 73

Just watched the final episode today. Cornwall received £billions from EU yet 56% vote Leave! Felt a bit sorry for the ex-RN guy who took the job on as new Harbourmaster....trying to please everyone whilst wanting to make changes. Damned if he did and damned when he didn't, not being Cornish obviously didn't help! He's "a foreigner"!

It was a good little series, different to the "Trawlermen" docs in that it also showed a lot of related work such as the fish stock auction etc. A big concern for them now is tariffs but they knew what they were voting for......didn't they? ;-)

Fact is the EU fisheries are more efficient - bigger boats, electronic auctions at the markets, and nearer to the consumer. So they bought fish quotas off the less efficient English boats. Now the skippers want the quotas back for nowt. And they are doing it by the age old political trick of creating a foreign enemy to blame. Because most Brexiteers can't see their problems are caused much closer to home - right under their noses :-S

John52 - 2020-02-21 2:35 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-02-20 4:48 PM

still working at 73

Fact is the EU fisheries are more efficient - bigger boats, electronic auctions at the markets, and nearer to the consumer. So they bought fish quotas off the less efficient English boats. Now the skippers want the quotas back for nowt. And they are doing it by the age old political trick of creating a foreign enemy to blame. Because most Brexiteers can't see their problems are caused much closer to home - right under their noses :-S

Have you ever been to a fish auction here in the UK ??? ... I have and as usual your talking utter guff ... "foreign enemy" ... Go on show us where any Brexiteer ever has called or suggested EU fisherman are the "foreign enemy" ??? ... Waiting

John52 - 2020-02-21 5:24 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-02-21 4:45 PM

Have you ever been to a fish auction here in the UK ??? ...

I have been to many fish markets in the UK including Newlyn which is what this thread is about..

Have you *-)

Yes I have actually and Ive been to fish markets in EU world in France , Spain and Portugal ... I love fish , much more than meat so please discuss away ... By the way sweet cheeks the title tread says Cornwall not Newlyn , the thread is about Cornwall not Newlyn as you claim or you can prove other ???

Birdbrain - 2020-02-21 6:01 PM

I have been to many fish markets in the UK including Newlyn which is what this thread is about..

Have you *-)

By the way the title tread says Cornwall not Newlyn , the thread is about Cornwall not Newlyn as you claim or you can prove other ???

Had you bothered to look at the BBC link you'd understand 1) the thread title, and 2) it specifically concerned Newlyn fishing port. *-)

Read and learn.....then view and learn some more.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000fjsh/cornwall-this-fishing-life-series-1-episode-6

Bulletguy - 2020-02-21 6:24 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-02-21 6:01 PM

Have you *-)

By the way the title tread says Cornwall not Newlyn , the thread is about Cornwall not Newlyn as you claim or you can prove other ???

Had you bothered to look at the BBC link you'd understand 1) the thread title, and 2) it specifically concerned Newlyn fishing port. *-)

Read and learn.....then view and learn some more.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000fjsh/cornwall-this-fishing-life-series-1-episode-6

The thread title says Cornwall not Newlyn princess ... Your first extensive post on the subject mentions Cornwall , England , Northern Ireland and East Europeans yet no mention of Newlyn and to be fair you who started the thread havent mentioned Newlyn once ... Try again hater

Archived