Death of a Genius

antony1969

What a sad day ... The death of a fella that defied the odds for years and was truly a genius ... A man who's left us with much to think about and debate long after his death ... Jim Bowen the man who fronted Catchphrase has died but luckily on cable TV we can catch up with all those old shows ... Sleep well Jim

On the subject of Jim Bowen, his career ended as a victim of political correctness.  He did a weekly DJ/phone-in show on Radio Lancashire and called someone a "nignog" on air, which in his youth (and mine) was simply a way of saying, without being in any way seriously hurtful to them, that they were being a bit foolish.  But the someone he was talking to was "of colour" (as we say these days) and the BBC sacked Jim because "nignog" was deemed to be a racist expression. 

As I recall the person he was talking to hadn't taken offence but the BBC's politically correct brigade had and they sacked him.  During my upbringing in Lancashire I'd heard and probably used the term; it was an old fashioned Lancashire dialect term rather than anything carrying any association with that other N word, which was becoming super-sensitive by then.

On the subject of Jim Bowen, his career ended as a victim of political correctness.  He did a weekly DJ/phone-in show on Radio Lancashire and called someone a "nignog" on air, which in his youth (and mine) was simply a way of saying, without being in any way seriously hurtful to them, that they were being a bit foolish.  But the someone he was talking to was "of colour" (as we say these days) and there was media attention and the BBC sacked Jim because "nignog" was deemed to be a racist expression. 

As I recall the person he was talking to hadn't taken offence but the BBC's politically correct brigade had (on behalf of any/all people of sensitivity and/or colour) and they wouldn't let it drop.  During my upbringing in Lancashire I'd heard and probably used the term "nignog"; it was an old fashioned Lancashire dialect term rather than anything carrying any association with that other N word, which was becoming super-sensitive by then.

I can't remember whether (in the end) Jim was sacked or told them to stuff the job.

StuartO - 2018-03-14 6:59 PMOn the subject of Jim Bowen, his career ended as a victim of political correctness.  He did a weekly DJ/phone-in show on Radio Lancashire and called someone a "nignog" on air, which in his youth (and mine) was simply a way of saying, without being in any way seriously hurtful to them, that they were being a bit foolish.  But the someone he was talking to was "of colour" (as we say these days) and the BBC sacked Jim because "nignog" was deemed to be a racist expression. 

As I recall the person he was talking to hadn't taken offence but the BBC's politically correct brigade had and they sacked him.  During my upbringing in Lancashire I'd heard and probably used the term; it was an old fashioned Lancashire dialect term rather than anything carrying any association with that other N word, which was becoming super-sensitive by then.

How very sad and how very bang on PC ... That N word , is it Neverendum , Nigel ???

StuartO - 2018-03-14 7:05 PM

On the subject of Jim Bowen, his career ended as a victim of political correctness.

No it wasn't.

He resigned from BBC Radio Lancashire in 2002 after rightly apologising over the remark. Seven years later he was back on Indigo FM in Cumbria but suffered a series of strokes and that's what ended his career.

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2018-03-14 6:27 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-03-14 6:17 PM

Thought this would be about a real genius, brilliant Physicist Steven Hawking who died today aged 76.. :-S

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/mar/14/stephen-hawking-professor-dies-aged-76

Don't take this personally Balletguy but you really are hard work

That's very funny :D ............

A Labour voter and hard work mentioned in the same sentence (lol) (lol) (lol) .......

Archived